Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What to get the Turner Who Has Everything for Christmas? (Read 365 times)

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Re: What to get the Turner Who Has Everything for Christmas?
Reply #15 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 2:22pm

California Air Tools Pressure Pot.

Figure I can cast some of the spalted pieces laying around the shop. Smiley

Question... if I have a piece of wood that isn't quite dry, can the moisture be pulled out with the pressure pot?

Not sure if that is even possible but no harm asking.

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Robert Hayward

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #16 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 3:45pm

Not even close to being an expert on casting, but.... My experience is no. I use only Alumilite because that is what I started with and no other reason. Alumilite is very unfriendly to moisture.

I weigh each piece then put it in the oven at about 220f. About every hour I weigh each piece again. When the piece stops losing weight it is dry and ready for casting.

You say you have spalted pieces. Do you want to cast them or stabilize them? Spalted wood usually needs to be stabilized which is a different process from casting.

Casting is usually done on hard or solid woods using pressure which removes the air bubbles from the casting resin. You might use casting to fill large voids in a piece of wood that has been stabilized prior to casting.

Stabilizing is usually done on soft/punky woods using a vacuum chamber. Stabilizing also needs to have the wood dried first. The vacuum removes the air from the wood and then when the vacuum is released the voids are filled with the stabilizing resin. Stabilizing will fill only tiny voids.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #17 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 4:36pm

Well.. I do have one piece that is seriously spalted to the point of getting punky.  Seems no amount of CA helps.

Sad because it has a nice green patch in it and would look neat.

A vacuum chamber might  be nice to get as well!! Smiley

Most of the spalted pieces I was thinking using are pretty solid.  Pieces left over from cutting a blank from a larger hunk.

Thanks for your input.

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #18 - Nov 22nd, 2020 at 10:07am

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Nov 21st, 2020 at 2:22pm:
Question... if I have a piece of wood that isn't quite dry, can the moisture be pulled out with the pressure pot?

With Alumilite, wood MUST be DRY. Otherwise you will get foam. Been there, done that. West system is a little more forgiving. But not much.

Use catus juice for stabilizing. It requires an oven to cure it. You can get a plexiglass sheet and make a vacuum cover for the pressure pot. A couple of valves & vacuum gauge.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
iant=14485190246515&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopp
ing&gclid=CjwKCAiAtej9BRAvEiwA0UAWXnu-cF2G4ttRLOMVFpmGGxycJFAwi-ktdefIUXboQriisj
JvbugSqxoCtkUQAvD_BwE

Glenn J.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2020 at 10:13am by Glenn Jacobs »  
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print