I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
table saw collector
Nov 17th, 2020 at 1:13pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on one of these?

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Chris Brock

WR Rocks!

Long Island, New York, USA
Long Island
New York
USA

NOVA DVR
Re: table saw collector
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 3:22pm

This looks like a dual function use, dust collection and safety. For dust collection, personally this sort of thing looks way too fiddly for me. If I got it for free I am quite sure I wouldn't use it.
For safety, I'm afraid I still have the same opinion. This is strictly my personal preference, not advice or recommendation, to each their own. I'm sure for some it's a must.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 3:30pm

Interesting...

I never considered it for safety. My problem is that my main dust collector doesn't draw dust down into the body of the saw.. I think most don't.. and it gets all over the place and onto me as I am sawing.

A question also is with that plastic box over the saw, how do you push wood thru with a push sick?

I'm still looking for the "perfect" Xmas present for myself. Smiley

A laser guidance system sounds nice... especially when I get near the bottom.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 3:52pm

I don't have one but this is what I've heard.
You need to have a good DC. The hood can't fully enclose the blade for obvious reasons so additional suction is necessary to make up for the open area around the blade.  Many of these are ducted with a step down from 4" to 2-2" (this typically reduces the CFM) and are not always plumbed correctly (using Tee's instead of Y's)

It really all depends on what and how you cut.
Whether you decide to get one or not, I would suggest ealing up the underside of the saw, it can help a lot.
Most cabinet saws with a cast iron table have large gaps around the top due to the webbing in the castings. If you seal the top and any other large areas, like the curved hole for the bevel adjustment, it can really make a difference when using the built in cabinet dust port.
JMO, go forth and get dusty

IP Logged

Robert Hayward

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 4:45pm

I would love to have overhead dust collection on my table saw. The annoyance of having to work around a box covering the blade is why I do not have overhead DC.

Sealing the underside of the saw would increase downdraft at the blade significantly on my saw. Until I put a zero clearance insert in. Then there would be almost no opening left to pull the sawdust through.

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 6:13pm

Robert Hayward wrote on Nov 17th, 2020 at 4:45pm:
I would love to have overhead dust collection on my table saw. The annoyance of having to work around a box covering the blade is why I do not have overhead DC.

Sealing the underside of the saw would increase downdraft at the blade significantly on my saw. Until I put a zero clearance insert in. Then there would be almost no opening left to pull the sawdust through.

Wouldn't a zero clearance insert help keep more of the dust inside the cabinet?  The blade cuts on the way down i was always under the impression a smaller opening in the insert helped trap the dust under it.

WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 6:27pm

Seems some of the dust rides up with the blade.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 6:46pm

The blade cuts from top to bottom pulling the swarf down into the cabinet. Some debris will always remain in the gullet of the blade and go for a free ride, eventually coming out the top. Just like a band saw, miter saw and so on.
A lot depends on the type of cut, the design of the tooth on the blade, etc. Certain cuts are prone to throwing debris away from the blade, IMO it's almost impossible to capture all of it.
Having a ZC insert doesn't negate dust collection

IP Logged

Buck Nemitt
WR Addict

Lovin It

Toronto,Ohio, Ohio, USA
Toronto,Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #8 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 6:50pm

The fun is in the search Ralph, keep looking!

What the heck,Give it a try---

IP Logged

Paul Haus

WR Rocks!

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Minneapolis
Minnesota
USA

Jet 1642 extended to 60 inches
Reply #9 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 8:15pm

Years ago I looked at a lot of brands and even bought a Uniguard as I thought it would do most of what I wanted - I was wrong.  I ended up designing and making my own that so far has filled my needs.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 8:26pm

Paul Haus wrote on Nov 17th, 2020 at 8:15pm:
I ended up designing and making my own that so far has filled my needs.

Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Robert Hayward

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #11 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 9:24pm

My opinion is that overhead dust collection is as important as under the blade, if you want to contain most all the dust. I do not have overhead because of the inconvenience of the overhead mechanism in the way.

I have a 3hp collector within eight feet of my table saw and it does a really good job, but does not get even close to all of the dust. Especially when making a cut that does not bury the blade in the wood.

Ed, do you have the underside of your table saw table sealed to the cabinet? I do not on mine. What material would be good to do that?

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #12 - Nov 18th, 2020 at 12:48am

I used some closed cell foam I had
There are many ways to do it from expanding foam to stuffing insulation into the gaps, not the fiberglass stuff. It can be a PITA no matter the method.
I don't know exactly how much room it totals up to be since every saw is different but it's quite a lot.
Say a 1/2"-3/4" gap along 4 sides at 20" a piece (just guessing here)
That's like having a 5" or larger open hole in the cabinet.

IP Logged

Paul Haus

WR Rocks!

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Minneapolis
Minnesota
USA

Jet 1642 extended to 60 inches
Reply #13 - Nov 18th, 2020 at 10:30am

By the way, I made up some plans for the overhead guard system I came up with. I made it kind of like an erector set so it could be built to mount to the saw, the floor or the ceiling, just make the proper parts and you're set. Additionally it could be made to fit many sizes and styles of saws. I made mine so I could both use a Whale Shark basket or the Uniguard basket. Pulling a pin and the whole arm can be removed or swung out of the way when needed.
I've given away a bunch of the plans in the past and if someone wants a copy (it's about 5 mb.) let me know and I'm happy to share them

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #14 - Nov 18th, 2020 at 11:53am

I just got a new Saw Stop, which has the overhead arm. My old Unisaw will be retired. I never liked how much dust the blade would throw all over the shop, but especially out the front side where I stand when cutting, and yes, I always stand out of the line of fire. It does throw a lot of dust, to the point where some times I think more goes out rather than in. It makes sense to have it on, and it is removable for certain cuts. What gets me about the Saw Stop, it only can be hooked up to a 4 inch line. One would think that a commercial duty saw would have optional set ups for up to a 6 inch line. I will let people know how it works when flat work room is set up and I get to make furniture for the new house...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print