Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
COMING SOON TO A DEALER NEAR YOU….. (Read 141 times)

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
COMING SOON TO A DEALER NEAR YOU…..
Nov 19th, 2020 at 7:16pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
From the info they post, it basically sounds like they finally worked the kinks out. Color me underwhelmed, better late than never I guess.

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Re: COMING SOON TO A DEALER NEAR YOU…..
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2020 at 8:47am

Sounds like a SN2 with new screws. How many index off the back of the chuck?

Glenn J.

Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2020 at 10:52am

I have no issues with the upgrades  Roll Eyes, if you want to call them that.
Introducing this as an all new line of chucks is a bit over the top IMO

If you read the list of "features", most of which are the same as before, others have been put through the marketing machine to sound incredible!

Here's my favorites
• Upgraded 6 point star fasteners exerting more torque with ease, offering better holding power and minimizing strip out for longer life.
Absolute nonsense, Look mom, I changed the screw head from allen to torx, now it's the best ever.
(The screws keep the jaws from falling off, they retain them, period) they don't need to be white knuckle tight, only snug. If you stripped out your screws, you're probably over tightening them. The locking groove in the jaws & slides is what provides all the strength).
• Intuitive clockwise scroll rotation for ease of use.
intuitive to whom?
• Fully sealed indexing backing plate reinforced with stranded glass fibers for extreme durability that protects the internal gearing from
moisture and debris creating low maintenance and ensuring a longer life. (PRO-TEK SUPERNOVA2 ONLY)
• Stand out NOVA RED backing plate adds an additional safety measure for use in operation. (PRO-TEK SUPERNOVA2 ONLY)
What's that? we already have a plastic backing plate with indexing that no one uses

And while not specifically listed, I find it funny that you get a towel to wipe down your chuck, now that it won't rust Undecided

IP Logged

Robert Hayward

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2020 at 11:48am

Yesterday when Ed posted the link I jumped over there and read the feature list. Went out to the shop and looked over one of my SN2's to see what the difference was. Scratched my head in wonder.

Okay, the backing plate on mine is black. Not sure why I would need a red one to make the chuck safer.

The rust preventative plating does sound interesting. I have one SN2 and jaws that rusted the first time I used them while turning while turning green Live Oak.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2020 at 12:09pm

Hmm, can't remember, but when I first saw the title about upgraded, I was wondering if it was one of the quick change set ups for jaws. Didn't they have one a year or 3 ago?

I wonder if the newer torx type screw heads are interchangeable with the older chuck screws?

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2020 at 12:23pm

I would guess they're the same size, as I would think it would be a BIG DEAL if they improved or changed the slides.
BTW, at the prices a company pays for a screw that size,(less than a penny) they could afford to include a set with every set of jaws.

IP Logged

Robert Hayward

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2020 at 12:33pm

Ed Weber wrote on Nov 20th, 2020 at 12:23pm:
BTW, at the prices a company pays for a screw that size,(less than a penny) they could afford to include a set with every set of jaws.

I believe the screws have a proprietary taper on the head, if I am remembering correctly. Shortly after the Voyager drill press hit the market I was at the Tampa wood show and Teknatool had one on display. While talking to the Nova people about the machine they gave me a handful of chuck jaw screws after I told them how many chucks I had. Should last me till my heirs take the tools.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Nov 20th, 2020 at 2:05pm

While I can't be 100% sure
Nova chuck screws look to be a 90 head countersink angle.
Which is standard for metric machine screws.
i could be wrong but until someone shows me the actual specs, that the assumption I'm working with.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print