Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cutting my first bowl blanks (Read 549 times)

Lee Bihm

WR Rocks!

Denham Springs, Louisiana, USA
Denham Springs
Louisiana
USA

Jet1221VS
Cutting my first bowl blanks
Nov 22nd, 2020 at 9:32pm

I got six logs from a friend. They’re approximately 25”x18 give or take an inch or two. He said the logs are from a Wild Cherry tree that was blown down last month in a storm.
I got in my new chainsaw and decided to have a little fun yesterday.

IP Logged

Lee Bihm

WR Rocks!

Denham Springs
Louisiana
USA

Jet1221VS
Re: Cutting my first bowl blanks
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2020 at 9:35pm

This is my first time cutting up logs and I probably have a thing or two to learn. But I don’t think I did bad for my first try.
The chainsaw is a Greenworks Pro 80V 18”.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2020 at 9:38pm by Lee Bihm »  

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 9:20am

Lee, since you're new at this, here's a guide to the basic forms and how/where to cut them out of a log.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 11:37am

You've gotten yourself off to a very good start and Ed's link is a wealth of information.  Before you go another step further I'd strongly recommend you seal the end-grain of those blanks.  While should be done in any blank preparation cherry is especially prone to checking.  If you don't have access to Anchor seal or one of the other end-sealing specific products you can use an old can of latex paint as a 'better than nothing' solution.  Good job and good luck...

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Lee Bihm

WR Rocks!

Denham Springs
Louisiana
USA

Jet1221VS
Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 12:02pm

John Grace wrote on Nov 23rd, 2020 at 11:37am:
You've gotten yourself off to a very good start and Ed's link is a wealth of information.  Before you go another step further I'd strongly recommend you seal the end-grain of those blanks.  While should be done in any blank preparation cherry is especially prone to checking.  If you don't have access to Anchor seal or one of the other end-sealing specific products you can use an old can of latex paint as a 'better than nothing' solution.  Good job and good luck...

I spent two days watching videos on cutting logs to blanks, I think some of them were by forum members.  Thumbs Up
I can’t find Anchor seal or any other end sealer in my area so I have been using latex paint. I sealed the logs when I got them a couple of weeks ago and I sealed the ends of the blanks right after I took the pic.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 12:09pm

Sounds to me like you're good to go.  Thumbs Up
Turning isn't rocket science but there are lots of little things that make up the whole ball of wax. Not all of which can be taught IMO
It ooks to me like your learning curve will be pretty small judging by your posts so far.

IP Logged

Lee Bihm

WR Rocks!

Denham Springs
Louisiana
USA

Jet1221VS
Reply #6 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 1:10pm

Thanks Ed.
I’ve been watching videos for the last few months. I’ve gotten to the point of going back to rewatch some to see how the cuts are made and the techniques used.
I know that watching others turn and actually art two different things, I just hope that I don’t screw up to much before I get the hang of it.
I think I’m gonna put the saw in the truck and see if I can find some more wood today.
Hopefully the stand for my lathe will show up soon so that I can start turning.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 1:47pm

I wouldn't worry about "screwing up", just get familiar/comfortable with some of the tools and the rest usually follows.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #8 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 2:52pm

The good thing about turning is if you screw up a piece, there is always another one in the pile. Smiley

Best not to do it with an expensive piece.. just "FOG" stuff...  found on ground.

I got alot of cheap wood that wouldn't matter if I messed it up. I lucked out and connected with a tree guy who would drop off logs in my yard... stuff that wasn't good enough quality for him to cut lumber from.

That cherry does look really nice!!!!

What are your plans for that rocker??

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Lee Bihm

WR Rocks!

Denham Springs
Louisiana
USA

Jet1221VS
Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 4:18pm

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Nov 23rd, 2020 at 2:52pm:
The good thing about turning is if you screw up a piece, there is always another one in the pile. Smiley

Best not to do it with an expensive piece.. just "FOG" stuff...  found on ground.

I got alot of cheap wood that wouldn't matter if I messed it up. I lucked out and connected with a tree guy who would drop off logs in my yard... stuff that wasn't good enough quality for him to cut lumber from.

That cherry does look really nice!!!!

What are your plans for that rocker??

That rocker belonged to my grandmother. She rocked me in it when I was a little boy. My uncle recovered the seat and painted it black.  Cry
My plans are to restore it one day.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #10 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 8:37pm

Lee

Green black cherry is a great wood for turning - it cuts very well.  But because it is such a gorgeous wood, it can be intimidating for new turners - "I don't want to waste my cherry!"

For those first hours making shavings, you might consider cutting 5 1/2" by 5 1/2" knot free squares from 2x6 framing lumber.  If your band saw won't cut through the 1 1/2" thickness, with patience one can learn relatively quickly to remove the corners and make the blank round on the lathe.  Make ten bowls without worrying about design or final appearance - the idea is to get some comfort and experience working with the lathe and the tools.  Next, try to make ten more or less identical bowls from more 2x6  squares, to gain more understanding of how the tools work.

After a number of years, I still occasionally use some 2x6 squares to experiment with new bowl shapes and details.

IP Logged

Lee Bihm

WR Rocks!

Denham Springs
Louisiana
USA

Jet1221VS
Reply #11 - Nov 25th, 2020 at 6:49pm

Don Stephan wrote on Nov 24th, 2020 at 8:37pm:
Lee

Green black cherry is a great wood for turning - it cuts very well.  But because it is such a gorgeous wood, it can be intimidating for new turners - "I don't want to waste my cherry!"

For those first hours making shavings, you might consider cutting 5 1/2" by 5 1/2" knot free squares from 2x6 framing lumber.  If your band saw won't cut through the 1 1/2" thickness, with patience one can learn relatively quickly to remove the corners and make the blank round on the lathe.  Make ten bowls without worrying about design or final appearance - the idea is to get some comfort and experience working with the lathe and the tools.  Next, try to make ten more or less identical bowls from more 2x6  squares, to gain more understanding of how the tools work.

After a number of years, I still occasionally use some 2x6 squares to experiment with new bowl shapes and details.

You have me pegged. The cherry doesn’t intimidate me, but I sure don’t want to waste it.
After watching hundreds of videos and reading forums, my plan is to start with some blanks made from some 2x6 lumber.
I know that there’s a learning curve when it comes to the tools. I’ve always been good with my hands and with tools. I’ve been doing stock work for over 30 years. I’m just hoping that the learning curve will not be that long.
I would have already started turning but, there’s been a problem. I have limited space until I get my new shop built. When I ordered my lathe, Jet 1221VS, I ordered the stand for it also. The lathe arrived but the stand didn’t. I contacted Woodcraft yesterday to see about the stand. They advised that Jet has them on back order and it may not ship until after the first of the year.  Cry
So now I’m thinking about buying or building a bench for my lathe, either of which will cost me money that I didn’t plan to spend.
But while I’m thinking what I’m going to do, I’m getting more wood. If it’s not raining tomorrow, I’ve got a sweet gum tree that I can cut down at a friend’s house. It’s about 10 or 12 inches thick at the base and about 20 feet tall. I should be able to get some good logs from it.
Thanks for the advice, I can’t wait to start turning.

IP Logged

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Reply #12 - Nov 28th, 2020 at 10:02am

I have the same lathe, and made my own stand out of some 2 x 4 glued and screwed. That will get you turning until the proper stand arrives. Plenty of pics of home made stands.
I glued 3 two x fours together for the feet with a gap in the middle as a mortise for the legs, which had the middle board sticking out as a tenon. Make a base for the lathe, and attach the base to the legs...done.

Cherry is a beautiful wood that will darken with age.  There is a store that carries the anchorseal, Woodcraft in NOLA should have it, or even a good lumberyard. If you are making blanks, I consider it a necessity.
I coat my rough turned bowls with it too. It keeps them drying evenly, and keeps warping down.

IP Logged

Lee Bihm

WR Rocks!

Denham Springs
Louisiana
USA

Jet1221VS
Reply #13 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 6:29pm

John Cepko wrote on Nov 28th, 2020 at 10:02am:
I have the same lathe, and made my own stand out of some 2 x 4 glued and screwed. That will get you turning until the proper stand arrives. Plenty of pics of home made stands.
I glued 3 two x fours together for the feet with a gap in the middle as a mortise for the legs, which had the middle board sticking out as a tenon. Make a base for the lathe, and attach the base to the legs...done.

Cherry is a beautiful wood that will darken with age.  There is a store that carries the anchorseal, Woodcraft in NOLA should have it, or even a good lumberyard. If you are making blanks, I consider it a necessity.
I coat my rough turned bowls with it too. It keeps them drying evenly, and keeps warping down.

I’m going to look around some more in my area for Anchor seal. New Orleans is just over 60 miles from me, but I avoid that area like the plague.
I’m going to go to Home Depot to check out a workbench that they have on sale for $269.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #14 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 8:27pm

Lee Bihm wrote on Nov 29th, 2020 at 6:29pm:
I’m going to look around some more in my area for Anchor seal

In my area, Woodcraft and Rockler usually carry it.
You can always order it on Amazon, either original (some people prefer) or Anchorseal 2

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print