Staten Island, New York, USA
Staten Island
New York
USA

Jet 1221VS
Segmented wood jig
Dec 20th, 2020 at 10:33am

Hi All

I have been looking into trying some segmented wood turnings... What is the best jig for getting repeatable segmented pieces.

I have seen a few different methods .. Some are adjustable, some suggest a different sled for different sizes. I have limited space I would prefer one sled.  I would like some feedback and suggestions as to the easiest most accurate method.

Thanks You
Anthony

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Segmented wood jig
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2020 at 10:47am

Anthony Diorio wrote on Dec 20th, 2020 at 10:33am:
I would like some feedback and suggestions as to the easiest most accurate method.

Feedback, that's a nice way to put it.
Any miter gauge or simple sled will work, how accurate is up to you.
Limited space is always a pain, I have jigs and sleds with no home myself.

A simple plywood cut-off sled might be the way to go. You can add a movable fence for mitered cuts.
I know many will rave about how great the "wedgie sled" is but that's just one option.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
I have an Incra sled that can be easily set for use at any angle and even like a wedgie sled.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
There are too many ways to go about it to list. A lot depends on what type of segmented pieces you want to make.
That's just some tablesaw options, many cut segments on a miter saw.

IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2020 at 12:26pm

What Ed says is spot on with what I experienced when doing my first few segmented turnings. I have used an Incra HD miter gauge, a chop saw and a wedgie sled. They all work. I find the wedgie sled the easiest.

Here is my preferred set up for what I call normal size segments. The sled is made from 1/2" Corian. The insert from a wallered out ZCI. A homemade segment piece length repeater.

IP Logged

Robert Evans

WR Rocks!

HOSCHTON, Georgia
HOSCHTON
Georgia

Grizzly G0766
Rockwell Delta 46-111  (retired to buffing duties)
Reply #3 - Dec 21st, 2020 at 12:07am

I also vote for the wedgie sled.  I made mine out of 3/4" MDF.  The wedgie sled system takes the minor inconsistencies out by reversing imperfections for a perfect fit.  You can start off with a simple 30/60/90 triangle.  Later on, you can order the custom wedges for an exorbitant price.

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #4 - Dec 21st, 2020 at 9:59am

With any of the TS sleds, you need a good (sharp) blade to cut with.

Glenn J.

Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Dec 21st, 2020 at 10:14am

Glenn is correct of course. If you're going to cut "normal" cross-grain segments. A dedicated crosscut blade is a good idea. A general purpose blade will work but there is always a trade off. The better the saw cut the less (if any) sanding.
As for a TS sled, I use an Incra miter 1000 and a modified sled. The miter gauge allows me to stop at every degree and if I want to, I can simply add a second fence and it works like the wedgie system.

IP Logged

Anthony Diorio

WR Rocks!

Staten Island, New York, USA
Staten Island
New York
USA

Jet 1221VS
Reply #6 - Dec 21st, 2020 at 10:47am

Ed Weber wrote on Dec 21st, 2020 at 10:14am:
Glenn is correct of course. If you're going to cut "normal" cross-grain segments. A dedicated crosscut blade is a good idea. A general purpose blade will work but there is always a trade off. The better the saw cut the less (if any) sanding.
As for a TS sled, I use an Incra miter 1000 and a modified sled. The miter gauge allows me to stop at every degree and if I want to, I can simply add a second fence and it works like the wedgie system.

I had my eye on the Incra 1000HD for awhile now. Looks like you did not go with Incra sled, instead build your own.

I have a ridgid R4512 table saw. The table has a slight high spot. I just received a new top and new main trunnion is being delivered today. I was waiting for these parts to come(3 months now) before replaced parts and order Incra fence ls system combo and miter gauge. Seems I have to put this on hold a little longer. The money was burning a hole in my pocket, so I bought the lathe and I don't have to tell you all the other cost involved with that. Shocked

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Dec 21st, 2020 at 11:00am

Anthony Diorio wrote on Dec 21st, 2020 at 10:47am:
I had my eye on the Incra 1000HD for awhile now. Looks like you did not go with Incra sled, instead build your own.

It started life as a miter express. I used the hardware and just made my own panels.
I prefer to have as large of a base as I can for support. My sled reaches the edge of my saw. When cutting segments off of a long piece of stock, like 36" or so, it becomes less of an fight to keep the wood tight to the sled and fence.
This is my primary sled, with the T-track it can be easily adapted for many things

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Robert Evans

WR Rocks!

HOSCHTON, Georgia
HOSCHTON
Georgia

Grizzly G0766
Rockwell Delta 46-111  (retired to buffing duties)
Reply #8 - Dec 22nd, 2020 at 9:20pm

The Wedgie Sled is very accurate for cutting strips of wood into little segments.  As you get more advanced and start making feature rings, you'll need a different way to hold and cut small segments.  Some type of full support sled with clamps and stop blocks to keep you fingers away from the sharp things.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #9 - Dec 23rd, 2020 at 10:02am

Robert Evans wrote on Dec 22nd, 2020 at 9:20pm:
you'll need a different way to hold and cut small segments.  Some type of full support sled with clamps and stop blocks to keep you fingers away from the sharp things.

When the pieces get too small, glue them to something big enough that you can handle.

"Glue Big, Cut Small"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print