Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hollowing Systems (Read 805 times)

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Hollowing Systems
Feb 4th, 2021 at 2:29pm

I have searched the tool talk forum and was unable to find any threads on comparing hollowing systems. Maybe there but I wasn't able to find them.
Want to start hollowing. I have tried the hand helds a bit but realize that I might be better off with a system that reduced the torque.
What are the thoughts on an articulated system vs a capture system? Trent Bosch vs Lyle Jamieson or others?
I have watched videos and read comments on each but most of them are older. I am wondering what the current thinking is.
I don't anticipate wanting to go any taller than 12", but who knows.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

IP Logged

Robert Fischer

Windham, Maine, USA
Windham
Maine
USA

Nova DVR XP
Re: Hollowing Systems
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 3:06pm

Won't be much help to you, but I was admiring a vase that forum member Ralph Fahringer made, and I asked him how he had hollowed it.   Ralph's reply, "Nerves of steel."   He elaborated on that a bit, bit it did boil down to "nerves of steel."

I assume that you're looking for something that requires less steely nerves.  Smiley

IP Logged

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 3:23pm

Yes, you are correct. I realize the skill involved in trying to find the proper angle to present the tool plus how to determine the thickness. My few attempts in trying to do this with a hand held tool and no additional support was nerve racking. Also, not productive or fun.
The systems seem to take a lot of this out of the equation. Some might consider it "cheating" but I look at it more as advancing my skill.  Wink

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 4:21pm

I think it is only cheating if you have someone else turn it and then say you did it.  Shocked

Any tool that makes it easier to do a job is good with me. I hung on for dear life and got it but a hollowing setup would be a nice addition to my shop.

Maybe I should get myself one for Valentine's Day!!   Smiley Smiley

No one EVER thinks to get a woodturner any tools for Valentine's Day!!! Shocked

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Bill Perry

WR Rocks!

Asheville, North Carolina, USA
Asheville
North Carolina
USA

PM 3520B
PM 1420
Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 5:03pm

A big topic. Lots of opinions. It depends on the type of end product you are aiming for (as usual). And it get expensive in a hurry (as usual). It would help to start small, with mentoring. Hand held tools can do a good job creating creating smaller hollow forms, especially with softer or medium density woods. Staying within the reach/turning radius capability of a tool determines the ease of use and success. After lots of mentor help and practice, I got comfortable with hand held hollowers on pieces up to 6-7 inches of diameter/reach. An easy hollower to use is the Easy Wood mid-size hollower ($$). Bigger than that, torque becomes an issue, so I now use a D-way hollowing tool when it becomes bothersome ($$$). When reach became an issue, I used an articulated holder (Monster) for over 10 years. It worked very well, nice long (safe) reach. Last year I invested in a Bosch system, with carbide cutters. Very well engineered, easy to set up, and with a sliding headstock, even fun to use. I don't use a laser pointer yet, but if I had a lot of hollowing to do, it would save time. 
But it helps to have mentoring and begin at the beginning.

IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 5:44pm

I use a Monster setup with a laser pointer. I was like you with being on the fence about what direction to go. Then this Monster setup popped up on SMC at a very decent price.

The captured systems looked like they occupied too much floor space while in use. With that I was looking for articulated only. I cannot give a comparison because the Monster is the only hollower I have ever used. Prior to the Monster I did hollowing by hand. Those that use video instead of a laser swear by the video.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 7:35pm

Granted the pandemic has reduced the opportunity to visit other turners but the best way to resolve your questions is to visit some turners using the different options.  Joining a "local" turning group, even if in the next town, can be a tremendous benefit.  Some have designated mentors to address your exact situation.

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 11:37pm

Got mine from Simon Hope.  Very happy with it.  This guy does an honest review.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Steve nix

WR Rocks!

Iota, Louisiana, USA
Iota
Louisiana
USA

1642 Jet, RobustAB
Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2021 at 7:16am

I started with the Monster setup. How I have Trent Bosch Stabilizer system and love it. I prefer John Jordan’s tool bars because they have a set screw that holds the cutter in place rather than ca glued. I also have replace the HSS cutter with AZ carbide 6mm cup cutters and tear drop scrapers.

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Jet 1642EVS
Reply #9 - Feb 5th, 2021 at 10:32am

You can make your own for a lot less $$.  Here is the one I built.  I think I spent $35 for the metal. $10 for the nut & handle, pivot bolts and locking nuts & set screws, $20 to have the ends bored to hold the boring bar. $5 at Harbor Freight for the metal cutting bits.  A buddy did the cutting and welding for me (& curved one rod for getting under the top).  I have boring bars of 1/2" and 3/4" diameter but only used the 3/4" one once.  The laser set up is from Ron Brown's Best (around $70).  I used to have one I made, but this one is much better.

There are plans for one here  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

When I told the guy who did my cutting and welding for me how much these things cost retail, he about messed his pants.  He couldn't believe it and said he was in the wrong business.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 2:01pm

Thank you all for your great input. It helped. I was lucky enough to find a full Monster system and have tried my hand at a couple of forms. As expected I am working my way through the learning curve. It sure beats hand held. I need a lot of practice. I started out with the idea of doing large forms and using them as a canvas for piercing. Until I get better at this I think it will be better to begin with smaller forms and work my way up. Large dried blanks are tough to come by. I also may take a stab at turning some green stuff.
I also ordered the small set of John Jordon hollowing tools. 1/2".
I will try to post some results later as I am able to produce worthy pieces.
Thanks again.

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 6:33pm

Bruce i would take a stab at turning green hollow forms sooner then later.  It makes it a lot easier to hollow with green wood then dry wood.  If you want round forms turn green to 3/4 to 1 inch thick walls then coat the entire outside with your choice of sealer.  Once dry return it to the lathe to make it round.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

John Hicks
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

shingletown, California, USA
shingletown
California
USA

Harvey T60-S
Reply #12 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 11:23am

I have the Trent Bosch 3/4" stabilizer; it has made hollowing almost enjoyable. If you plan on turning small vessels, then you need the 5/8 and 1/2" tool sets. It gets very expensive quickly, but the build quality is top notch.

IP Logged

Daniel Hayes

WR Rocks!

Conroe, Texas, USA
Conroe
Texas
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
Reply #13 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 11:41am

I have been looking and I think I am leaning towards the Elbo system from Tim Yoder. Almost 50% cheaper than the Trent Bosch which looks very nice but I can't justify 50% higher price as a hobbyist.

IP Logged

Joe Penn

WR Rocks!

Hull, Georgia, USA
Hull
Georgia
USA

PM 2014
Reply #14 - Mar 7th, 2021 at 8:21am

Neither famous, nor infamous.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print