Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
New Tool Line
Feb 15th, 2021 at 11:48am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

These guys have been around forever, now ( maybe since their owned by Grizzly) they have a line of woodworking tools.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: New Tool Line
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 11:59am

Thompson Tools have performed well for me, so far except for
parabolic bowl gouge the line has included every tool I wanted, the owner appears in person at public events to answer questions, and the owner is a small business like many of us.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 12:44pm

Don Stephan wrote on Feb 15th, 2021 at 11:59am:
Thompson Tools have performed well for me, so far except for
parabolic bowl gouge the line has included every tool I wanted, the owner appears in person at public events to answer questions, and the owner is a small business like many of us.

Well, that's all well and good, I'm happy for you.

This post is about a line of power tools from a reputable company that's been in business for over 100 years who now has a line of woodworking tools.
I did post a link

IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 2:01pm

Not too long ago I looked over their woodworking offerings on Grizzly. Looks like decently made machines in the Powermatic price range. Not in the market for a new machine, was just curious.

Makes me wonder about their metal machines. Are they of the same quality as their storied machines of the past? Or are they just another close clone?

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 2:42pm

South Bend started out making metal lathes 100 years ago
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Grizzly didn't purchase the company until 2009

IP Logged

Rusty Nesmith

WR Rocks!

Parkersburg, West Virginia, USA
Parkersburg
West Virginia
USA

Rikon 70-220 VSR
Reply #5 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 5:32pm

We had quite a few large Grizzly tools when I worked maintenance years ago and they were very good tools.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 7:58pm

Oops, I understood "woodworking tools" to mean gouges, scrapers, parting tools, etc.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 9:08pm

Just busting on you a little Don, It seemed like we were talking about two different things, hope there's no hard feelings

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2021 at 11:17am

Ed...Question, if Grizzly purchased South Bend is Grizzly or have they brought 'back' a South Bend version of machines?  Or did Grizzly simply purchase the 'name' for reasons as of yet undetermined?

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Robert Fischer

Windham, Maine, USA
Windham
Maine
USA

Nova DVR XP
Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2021 at 11:41am

John Grace wrote on Feb 16th, 2021 at 11:17am:
If Grizzly purchased South Bend is Grizzly or have they brought 'back' a South Bend version of machines?  Or did Grizzly simply purchase the 'name' for reasons as of yet undetermined?

According to Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, it's complicated: Quote:
South Bend Lathe is a brand of machine tools. Today's South Bend Lathe corporation is the successor to the original South Bend Lathe Works, an American machine tool builder that for many decades was one of the most important builders of metalworking lathes in the U.S. and in the world.

The South Bend Lathe Works was established in 1906 in South Bend, Indiana by identical twin brothers John J. O'Brien and Miles W. O'Brien.[1] By 1930, the company was building 47% of the engine lathes sold each year in the United States.[2] In a quarter century, South Bend Lathe Works had become the largest exclusive manufacturer of metalworking precision lathes in the world. In the 1920s through 1960s, South Bend lathes were found in countless machine shops and factories, and they were also one of the most commonly used brands in vocational schools.

The 9-inch lathe was so successful that many other companies made almost direct copies (clones), including the Boxford Lathe Model A in England; Purcell, Demco, and FW Hercus in Australia; Blomqvist and Storebro in Sweden; and Sanches Blanes S.A. in Brazil.

The company made a case study for business-management academics during the mid-1970s when it became employee-owned under an Employee Stock Ownership Plan model.

Later South Bend Lathe became a division of LeBlond Limited, which is part of the Makino corporation, a multinational machine tool–building firm.

In 2009, the brand was sold to Shiraz Balolia, founder of the machinery firms Grizzly Industrial Inc. and Woodstock International Inc.[3]

Under LeBlond, South Bend Lathe still produced precision machine tools, although it was not the giant of market share that it once had been during the 1920s through 1950s. The new owner, Balolia, planned to redevelop and manage the brand as one that appeals to the demand for high-end quality that many South Bend Lathe enthusiasts share.[3] A new line of South Bend brand machine tools is now sold through Grizzly dealers. Their niche in the manual-control machine tool market is what marketers sometimes term the "mass luxury" segment of a market, where low-end affordability blends into high-end desirability in a combination that buyers sense highest value. One of the classic marketing examples is Buick's market position between Chevrolet and Cadillac. In South Bend Lathe's case, the affordability of machine tools from Taiwan or China mixes with the desirability of certain German and Japanese components (such as spindle bearings) and higher standards (compared to many Taiwanese or Chinese brands) in terms of tolerances, inspection, features, and rigidity.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - Feb 16th, 2021 at 12:13pm

Long story short, the South Bend is still looked at as a higher level of quality compared to the Grizzly brand. Like the above Chevy/Buick example.
Now they're making woodworking machines (like Buicks  Grin)

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2021 at 12:29pm

Ed Weber wrote on Feb 16th, 2021 at 12:13pm:
Long story short, the South Bend is still looked at as a higher level of quality compared to the Grizzly brand. Like the above Chevy/Buick example.

Begs another question...whether it's this forum or any of the myriad of other sites we see questions regarding what's the best [insert tool name here] to buy.  From there and depending on the tool in question we see almost all of the usual suspects from Powermatic, SawStop, Robust, Laguna, Grizzly, etc  I have a good friend who just ordered a Hammer table saw and a Felder band saw.  And while our 'usual suspects' list are good tools it does seem like Felder and Hammer are yet another level 'up'.  Is it just pricing that keeps people from mentioning the likes of these or are there other reasons why we never see those names mentioned or even machines like Oliver?  Just curious though I suspect I know it's mostly about the money...

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #12 - Feb 16th, 2021 at 2:18pm

IMO (You can all start bashing me after this post)
Hammer and Felser are a step up from the usual brands mentioned, you could also add Altendorf.
Some brands are simply more expensive, some are expensive for a reason.

Some is name recognition, some is method of work. As an example, many people have never seen a sliding tablesaw let alone used one, so they have no knowledge base to compare with the usual suspects.

You can spend anywhere from about $1,200 to almost $10,000. The usual suspects you mentioned are priced in the lower half of that scale and are made for hobbyists to small shops. The upper echelon machines from the top of the range are professional/commercial tools, designed to work all day everyday with little down time. Mostly it's all the things you don't see that are higher quality, bushings, bearing, motors, warranty, etc, not the color of the cabinet.
Monet is always a factor but it goes both ways. It could be too expensive to afford or more tool than you need at the time and money could be better spent on a lower cost machine and (fill in the blank)

I have a Grizzly 3hp cabinet saw. At today's prices I could get the same thing for $1,495 or buy a comparable (almost identical) JET for $2500.
The machines are almost identical, why pay an extra $1,000 ? it's still in the lower half of the quality range? All I get is dirty white paint, the quality or most of the tools in the lower half of the range is about the same (good quality, not great). They all have there flaws, you are really only "feature" shopping. You may pay a premium for one color paint over another but many of the components are the same quality, there is no point in wasting money.  If I want/need better quality, I need to start looking in the upper end of the range.

FYI, General is updating their look and brand this year, they'll have new machines as well.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #13 - Feb 16th, 2021 at 2:31pm

Ed Weber wrote on Feb 16th, 2021 at 2:18pm:
Hammer and Felser are a step up from the usual brands mentioned, you could also add Altendorf.
Some brands are simply more expensive, some are expensive for a reason.

Thanks...

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #14 - Feb 16th, 2021 at 3:50pm

I suppose I could have used the car analogies everyone seems to use.
You can buy a Buick and it will be very nice but under the the body work and trim, it's still a Chevy. no matter what you do it'll never be an Audi or Mercedes. Those cost more for a reason.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print