Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fist test try at segmented bowl (Read 109 times)

Anthony Diorio

WR Rocks!

Staten Island, New York, USA
Staten Island
New York
USA

Jet 1221VS
Fist test try at segmented bowl
Feb 20th, 2021 at 1:04pm

Its nothing fancy. and its not finished. just wanted to go though some of the process and get my feet wet. ..made it from a piece of oak flooring i had lying around... I think in going to like doing this.. its not as frustrating as working with green wood.. I need to either build a Longworth or buy a jscole..

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Re: Fist test try at segmented bowl
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 1:35pm

I used some homemade cole jaws to cut mine Anthony and they work fine for the size bowl's i have made. The rubber Posts and threaded nuts are all from Ace hardware. Your bowl looks good to me, nice work. Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2021 at 1:41pm by George Stratton »  

IP Logged

Robert Evans

WR Rocks!

HOSCHTON, Georgia
HOSCHTON
Georgia

Grizzly G0766
Rockwell Delta 46-111  (retired to buffing duties)
Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 3:19pm

Good job Anthony.  Looks like you got nice tight glue joints, which is half the battle.  I use a donut chuck to finish the bottoms.  It holds the bowl much more securely than Cole jaws or a Longworth chuck.  You can make your own donut with multiple holding rings for different size bowls.

IP Logged

Anthony Diorio

WR Rocks!

Staten Island
New York
USA

Jet 1221VS
Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 4:58pm

Robert Evans wrote on Feb 20th, 2021 at 3:19pm:
Good job Anthony. Looks like you got nice tight glue joints, which is half the battle. I use a donut chuck to finish the bottoms. It holds the bowl much more securely than Cole jaws or a Longworth chuck. You can make your own donut with multiple holding rings for different size bowls.

Thanks ..the joints came out much better than I thought they would.. It boosted my confidence level .. I really wasn't intending to make a bowl, I was just looking to see how difficult cutting the angles would be. It was easy enough so I continued on.. I only did 8 segments..I can see using more segments will save me turning time.. I need a few more bowl gouges with different profiles so I'll save a few bucks  on the chuck and build  one, a donut chuck seems like it might be the easiest and most secure.. I'll look into all three and decide.  Thanks for the  heads up.

IP Logged

Anthony Diorio

WR Rocks!

Staten Island
New York
USA

Jet 1221VS
Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 5:05pm

George Stratton wrote on Feb 20th, 2021 at 1:35pm:
I used some homemade cole jaws to cut mine Anthony and they work fine for the size bowl's i have made. The rubber Posts and threaded nuts are all from Ace hardware. Your bowl looks good to me, nice work. Smiley

I was basically just interest in how difficult it was to cut the segments.. I'm pretty happy with results first time out ..I built a simple fixed 22.5deg angle jig and didn't even have to adjust it was spot on.. beginners luck 😆
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2021 at 5:06pm by Anthony Diorio »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print