Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Woodworking or Not
Mar 2nd, 2021 at 11:05am

This video applies to segmented turning and/or embellishments, that's why I chose to put it here.

This type of question is starting to come up more frequently these days as CNC becomes more accessible in the small shop.
A couple years ago Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register using a similar design, which is why this video caught my attention.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The Shaper tool is of no use to me but in the right setting it has it benefits to be sure. The tool itself is not in question here, rather the method.

Relying mainly on layout and input of a CAD file and using a machine that does not let the operator cut incorrectly, how do you classify this activity?

To me, it's more like assembling a wooden puzzle.

For those interested
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2021 at 9:05am by Ron Sardo »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Re: Woodworking or Not
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2021 at 11:33am

Dang it Ed, you shouldn't show me toys like this.... Only thing that keeps me from wanting to go get one is knowing that the programming of the thing would drive me nuts.....

robo hippy

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2021 at 12:05pm

CNC, laser cutters, 3D printers that have come out for home or hobby use, have a place. Just not sure where. They are nice for home enterprises like jewelry. What I see happening is people thinking that something made on one of those machines is equivalent to hand made items.

Glenn J.

Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2021 at 12:29pm

robo_hippy wrote on Mar 2nd, 2021 at 11:33am:
Only thing that keeps me from wanting to go get one is knowing that the programming of the thing would drive me nuts.....

There are other machines like the Shaper, that of course, have different interface software/screens. With each tool, there is a separate learning curve as it relates to menus and software.

There are differences not only in how it's made but the method of work as well. With the Shaper design you cut the pieces before you cut the mortised out area. This is usually done the other way around. Make your mortise, then cut your tenon or inlay to fit.

The other thing of course is the price, it starts at $2,499

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 11:15am

This is a link to a woodworking industry site designed to educate people interested in the types of jobs available.
In the careers listed CAD is among them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print