Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Bandsaw Alignment tool
Apr 1st, 2021 at 8:34am

I don't know how long this has been around but
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Finally! A tool that is designed to align your blade to the Band saw, not the other way around. Almost too good to believe that some people are finally starting to come around.

If more people aligned their properly, there would be less need for all the gadgets, myths and nonsense, JMO

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Re: Bandsaw Alignment tool
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 10:33am

Not sure what you mean by the above Ed. I do know that a slight adjustment in the tracking on your blade can change how parallel the blade is to the miter gage slot, and the fence. Seems like that would be the easier option, then once the blade is set, leave it there. Or some thing like that? I do have the blade centered on the wheel so that the teeth are not in contact, which, in theory should have the blade lined up with the bandsaw table and then in theory, I should not have to adjust anything on the table....

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 11:08am

robo_hippy wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 10:33am:
Not sure what you mean by the above Ed. I do know that a slight adjustment in the tracking on your blade can change how parallel the blade is to the miter gage slot, and the fence.

That's what I've been talking about for twenty years.
MOST people are under the notion that if your cut isn't straight you either adjust your fence, buy some gadget or perform some type of sorcery to "fix" blade drift.
The tracking adjustment (that most every saw has) IS the way to adjust your blade for a straight parallel cut.

Many people avoid changing their blades because they have difficulties aligning them for an acceptable cut.
For those, like many turners, who simply use a BS for rough cuts and knocking off corners, this is not a big deal.
For those who re-saw, dimension lumber and use sleds on their BS, a blade that runs true and parallel to the fence/miter slot is required.

robo_hippy wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 10:33am:
I do have the blade centered on the wheel so that the teeth are not in contact

The top wheel is crowned and the entire wheel tilts.
No matter where the blade is positioned on the tire, (due to tracking adjustment) the teeth should not touch because of the above mentioned design. Many people do not get this simple concept and put the blade in the center no matter what else is going on.
This, IMO is the source of most all of the issues involving blade drift nonsense and "solutions" Roll Eyes

Also I'll mention for the sake of painful explanation. Three parts of a BS blade, teeth, gullet, band.
The teeth cut and should not contact the tire .
the gullet clears away swarf and debris from the cut, some contact with the tire is acceptable
The band drives the blade and is the only part that needs to contact the tires.
If you feel the need to center your blade, center the portion that actually needs to contact the tire.

JMO

IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 5:05pm

Quote:
No matter where the blade is positioned on the tire, (due to tracking adjustment) the teeth should not touch

Not arguing with you Ed as I agree with your theory and methods. However, pretty difficult to do with a 1/8" or even up to 1/2" blade.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 6:07pm

Yes it is, although the principle is still the same.
I will say, that trying to cut parallel in anything using a 1/8" or 1/4" blade isn't really what I was getting at. Those blades are usually used more for cutting curves.
For any blade I use,
Roughly center and then use the tracking adjustment on the saw to adjust the blade until it cuts parallel. It really doesn't matter the size of the blade to me.
I don't or won't endorse the above mentioned product, although it at the very least suggest you adjust your blade not you fence (or anything else).

Why?, because a blade can cut straight without being perfectly parallel to the fence. like a vehicle that is Dog tracking,
The cut is what counts, not how you think the machine should be aligned.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2021 at 10:49am

I use the same blades on my two bandsaws. When I have to change a blade, I just put the new one in. I do make sure the thrust bearing is still set properly, and start turning again. Pretty simple, and I haven't adjusted anything in a long time.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print