Robert Fischer

Windham, Maine, USA
Windham
Maine
USA

Nova DVR XP
Odie's Oil?
Apr 19th, 2021 at 9:19am

I saw a Facebook ad for Odie's Oil: "NON-TOXIC, FOOD SAFE, ONE COAT, NATURALLY EFFECTIVE WOOD FINISH AND STABILIZER!" Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Does anyone here have any experience with it?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Odie's Oil?
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2021 at 11:16am

It's yet another., oil and wax blend.
I've never used it, so I can't say how it performs. The ingredients that they list are as follows.
Mixture of: Lubricating oil; Drying oil; Natural waxes; Essential oil

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Mike Nathal

WR Rocks!

Strongsville, Ohio, USA
Strongsville
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 12:47pm

A guy in our club is using it and likes it a lot.   Ease of application is one of the main advantages.    It is a satin finish.
  He also has starting to use the wood butter and likes the feel it produces. 
I have not used Odies but I have used Osmo Polyx which is also a hardwax oil.  I also like it and the ease of use and the ease of repair  compared to lacquer and polyurethane varnish is notable.  I can get a gloss finish with Osmo plus Beall buffing

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 1:28pm

The main disadvantage to wax/oil mixtures is the durability.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 6:11pm

We know that wax is a soft coating that will rather quickly wear with handling.  Will the sheen go with the wax?

Would someone contact the company and report back how the company says the product is "effective" and how it stabilizes the wood?

IP Logged

Mike Nathal

WR Rocks!

Strongsville, Ohio, USA
Strongsville
Ohio
USA

Reply #5 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 6:42pm

I am not an expert and I have only tried it a few times, and for decorative and not utility items.   But I see these used for floors, so the durability would  seem to be adequate.  Plus they are known as "hardwax oils" so maybe  they are not as soft as you would expect.   There are several YouTube videos comparing them and testing them, the ones I have seen focused mostly on  resistance to liquids but not wear resistance.    For example Odies did quite well in resistance to staining the wood by red wine.

IP Logged

John Hicks
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

shingletown, California, USA
shingletown
California
USA

Harvey T60-S
Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2022 at 11:01am

Any wax oil finish looks great as long as it isn't handled. Or for utility bowls and vessels. Some have more wax than others and buff out well. I have been using tried and true and the results are very good with minimal fuss.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #7 - Jan 26th, 2022 at 12:00pm

Bees wax is a problem since it is so soft, and if you put it on in any quantity, you will see finger prints. Carnuba wax, from palm trees, is much harder, and more durable. Most of the time, carnuba requires heat or a solvent to be able to spread. Kiwi neutral shoe polish is carnuba with some turpentine in it. The Doctor's Woodshop walnut oil and wax blend, which is 'micro aggregated' goes on with no heat needed to spread it. The walnut oil will cure and harden, but it takes a week or 3 to do so. You can buff it I guess, but I never bother. One washing and the buff finish is gone. Oh, the walnut oil is heat treated, which breaks up/destroys the proteins that can cause food allergies. Mineral oil never cures. It does provide a very short term 'impermeable' surface finish, good for over night, but not much longer.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print