Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Time to purchase new drill press (Read 851 times)

Steve MItchell

WR Rocks!

san diego, California, USA
san diego
California
USA

Nova
Time to purchase new drill press
Apr 27th, 2021 at 7:02pm

So I need to purchase new drill press. Looking for ideas and of corse best value for the buck. Retiring in a few years.
I have an old Sun machine 12 speed.  Floor model 5/8 chuck
Thank you

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Time to purchase new drill press
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 10:28pm

What do you "need" in a drill press?

IP Logged

Steve MItchell

WR Rocks!

san diego, California, USA
san diego
California
USA

Nova
Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 10:46pm

I use it for lots of pen blanks and furniture building. Also drilling holes for cutting boards to hang.
Thanks

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2021 at 7:07am

Steve MItchell wrote on Apr 27th, 2021 at 7:02pm:
So I need to purchase new drill press. Looking for ideas and of corse best value for the buck. Retiring in a few years.
I have an old Sun machine 12 speed.  Floor model 5/8 chuck

With respects to your current drill press...have you ever noted things it can't do for you (longer throw, power, table size, etc)?  Subsequently...did anything from that first question create a 'wish list' for you in your 'forever' drill press?  Are you looking for a floor or table top machine?  Do you have a price range?

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2021 at 10:34am

John Grace wrote on Apr 28th, 2021 at 7:07am:
have you ever noted things it can't do for you (longer throw, power, table size, etc)?

Thanks John, I knew you would pick up the ball.

Jon's question is really the key to getting what you want/need.

I have a small 1/3hp tabletop drill press, it's good for what it is but doesn't have the capacity for woodworking. Not enough quill travel, small table, limited throat capacity, low power.
I then bought a larger DP floor model, with a bit more power, larger table and more throat clearance and the same poor quill travel. It was an improvement but still not the "last" one I would need to be sure.
I then bought a radial DP with all the same specs as my floor model but the ability to tilt the head and the throat clearance went from 6.5" to 16.5".
All that to say, needs change/evolve over time. If you make pens, you may want increased quill travel. If you use large forstener bits often, more power may be in order and so on.
IMO the is no such thing as a woodworkers drill press. There have been attempts over the last few years but adding a laser and a couple of T-Tracks to the table doesn't quite cut it in my book. Electronic Variable Speed (EVS) is the next big thing but does come at a price.

Whatever you decide on, do yourself a favor and either build or buy a good quality table designed for woodworking. A table with more surface area, stop blocks and clamping ability will help any DP become more useful to just about any woodworking situation.

One last thing is budget. Today's DP's range from about $300 to $2300 roughly, which is a huge range. If you can't narrow down you features to a short list, you can start by using the price range you want to try and stay within.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2021 at 10:46am

I did look at that Nova DVR drill press, and while it looks nice, and is expensive, I don't want all that electronic stuff on it. I would like a 3 phase motor with converter, and variable speed without having to change the belts. Surprised there isn't a hobby level model out there yet.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2021 at 11:21am

robo_hippy wrote on Apr 28th, 2021 at 10:46am:
Surprised there isn't a hobby level model out there yet.

I honestly don't know what Hobby Level is anymore.  Undecided

There ts however, an EVS models available from Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #7 - Apr 28th, 2021 at 11:30am

I would look at Grizzly. they have a good range.

Glenn J.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2021 at 11:03am

Ed Weber wrote on Apr 28th, 2021 at 11:21am:
There ts however, an EVS models available from Powermatic

I just took a quick peek at that machine...that's quite a machine.  The last comment on this thread before mine raises yet another question worth asking/answering.  The Powermatic looks like a phenomenal machine whereas Glenn Jacobs mentions that Grizzly has some fine offerings.  I do think that both your comment and Glenn's are accurate...hence the question, not to be dismissive...but we're talking about a drill press and for some machining as such doesn't have to mirror the accuracy of a machinist's tool.  Question back to Steve's original request...how 'precise' of a drill press do you require?

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #9 - Apr 29th, 2021 at 11:36am

I've found that most DP work is done at one rpm setting so the need for EVS  does not make much sense. IMHO. A long travel and after-market table would be my main requirements. Throat depth could play into it also. And we're talking about a floor model.  Here is one Ed might like: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Glenn J.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - Apr 29th, 2021 at 12:11pm

Glenn Jacobs wrote on Apr 29th, 2021 at 11:36am:
Here is one Ed might like:

I have the bench version of that, shorter pole, same features.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I have no doubt the Powermatic is a very nice machine looking at the info on their site BUT the price is a bit much to swallow. You would need to justify the cost by using it everyday.
The Powermatic is a gear driven machine which allows you to do much heavier work such as sanding and more demanding drilling.
As far as precision, this is a woodworking forum. that being said, I want my holes to be true and accurate but the tolerances for wood are much greater than metal. Wood moves, so we must acknowledge it and allow/compensate for it with our joinery, including drilling holes.
Just about any DP on the market will drill a straight hole. I'm sure there are those who like to test for run out and whine about a thousandth or two but with wood, more often than not, this is a waste of time.
Drilling in wood is not that demanding, a 1/2hp drill press will handle just about anything within reason it you use a sharp, quality bit.
Judging by the specs, I would say the Powermatic could be your last DP, depending on your needs.
Just don't forget to get the little shelf to hold your chuck key, it's only $50

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #11 - Apr 29th, 2021 at 12:36pm

Hmm, that PM looks interesting. Need to see one in person. I generally keep my old Delta drill press at one speed, which works for using a 2 5/8 forstner bit to drill a recess on the top of my bowl blanks. I could, and should use other speeds for different sized bits, but don't because of the 'inconvenience' of it. Probably more important for drilling metals.... Hmm, now, more things to ponder. It doesn't look like it has all the programming of things that the Nova does, and to me, that is a good thing...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #12 - Apr 29th, 2021 at 1:06pm

robo_hippy wrote on Apr 29th, 2021 at 12:36pm:
It doesn't look like it has all the programming of things that the Nova does, and to me, that is a good thing...

+1

IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #13 - Apr 29th, 2021 at 6:14pm

My Voyager is the first drill press I have owned and I think ever used with variable speed. Once you use EVS for a while you will wonder how you lived without it.

My old Craftsman floor model that I used for thirty some years drilled many holes for me over the years. Almost never took the time to change the belt on the pulleys. Too inconvenient. With my Nova it is just too easy to reach up an rotate the knob to the correct speed for the job being done. !/2" chuck and runout is what caused me to go looking for a new DP.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #14 - Apr 30th, 2021 at 10:19am

Robert, that sounds like how I feel about variable speed on lathes compared to changing the belt...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print