Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sanding Epoxy Filled Bowl (Read 96 times)

Del King
WR Noob

If it doesn't kill you
it's a learning experience!

Sanding Epoxy Filled Bowl
Jun 1st, 2021 at 1:07pm

I've been turning for many years, just about anything you can mount on a lathe. Epoxy resin is a new experiment for me and I've enjoyed learning something new. The attached picture shows tiny pinholes in the resin that remain after sanding. My normal sanding process is starting with sandpaper 100, 180, 220, 320 then 400. After that I go to the micro mesh pads that start at 1500 and go to 12000. I followed this process for the epoxy experiment but a few tiny pinholes still remain after the final 12000 pad. These are tiny and are not air bubbles. I went back and sanded with 400 grit just to highlight what the pin holes look like. I'm wondering if I need to use a sanding sealer before I start the sanding process. I appreciate any input from others who have traveled this path.

Del

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Re: Sanding Epoxy Filled Bowl
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2021 at 2:21pm

Not sure about the holes but your skipping many sanding steps.  Get some 600 800 and 1000 grit paper and wet sand from 600 up.  It might be from the big jump in grits.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Del King
WR Noob

If it doesn't kill you

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2021 at 3:36pm

OK. Thank you.

Del

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2021 at 4:01pm

Now that i am looking at a bigger screen and not my phone those could be air bubbles.  What epoxy are you using?  If you don't have a pressure pot or cant fit it in one you want to use resin with the longest open time you can find.  Mix it very slow to limit air bubbles formed.  Air bubbles may not all rise to the surface immediately and may be getting trapped.  If its a deep pour you might try doing it in steps.  When the previous pour starts to harden pour another layer.  Another thing is some resins don't like moisture if your wood is not bone dry that could create bubbles.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2021 at 4:51pm

What Chris said. You say those are not air bubbles. If you did not chip the resin while turning what else could they be?

Skipping grits while sanding produces a scratched surface for me, not tiny voids. If you thoroughly clean the voids of all dust you should be able to fill them with a flat toothpick or similar dipped in a fresh batch of the same resin then dabbed into the void. Might have to do some of the voids a couple times but should eventually fill them.

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2021 at 9:58pm

or fill them with white or yellow resin and call it a nighttime skyscape.

IP Logged

Del King
WR Noob

If it doesn't kill you

Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2021 at 1:41pm

I'm using Ecopoxy and instructions say it has a pot life of 8 hours. It is a deep pour, almost 2". I think I probably exceeded recommended depth and should have made multiple pours. The toothpick is a good idea.

All input here was valuable and appreciated. Making mistakes is part of learning something new and I learn more from my mistakes than successes.

Thank you again.

Del

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #7 - Jun 3rd, 2021 at 10:43am

I agree with Chris. Air pockets filled with sanding dust. IMO  Pressure pot will help, also bone dry wood.

Glenn J.

Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print