WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re-Using a Tool Handle
Jul 11th, 2021 at 5:41pm

Before long the flute on my 1/2" Thompson spindle gouge will be too short for further sharpening.  I have a replacement Thompson 1/2" spindle gouge and would like to use the same handle.  The almost tool short gouge was epoxied into the handle and memory suggests I once read somewhere heating the tool will soften the epoxy to it can be removed from the handle?  Is there any truth to this, and if so how hot a source is needed (propane, mapp, oxy acetylene, . . .) and does the bar have to be heated to a particular color?  Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Re-Using a Tool Handle
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2021 at 6:33pm

Heat gun should do it

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2021 at 7:56am

Not sure if this thought is applicable...but just an idea from watching Forged in Fire.  You may want to consider wrapping the flute area in a cold wet rag as you heat up the handle area.  Not sure if this is correct but it may mitigate against ruining the temper of the cutting edge.

With respects to heat temperature.  I have no idea myself, but I would work from the vantage point of starting with the lowest heat possible and then working yourself 'up' as necessary.  Just seems like one of those circumstances where the 'just enough' philosophy comes into play.

Good luck and let us know how it works out...I'm sure others will find your results interesting if not useful.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2021 at 9:51am

Depending on the original epoxy used, the temperature to reach is typically  not that high.
Starting at about 150f most common two part epoxies will begin to soften. Prolonged heat exposure will soften it up enough to break the bond

This is how I have done it in the past.
1. I mount the old gouge by clamping it in a metal vise.
2. I use a heat gun to heat the base of the tool shaft near the attachment point. This may take a couple of minutes to heat the shaft enough so that the surrounding epoxy starts to soften.
3. Once the handle shows singes of movement (I try to give it a twist every minute or so to test) it should pull straight off.
Then you can re-drill the hole to accept the new tool.

We're only talking about a few hundred degrees and no flame, there is little danger of damaging the handle

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print