WR Rocks!

Kentucky, Kentucky, USA
Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Delta
Sharpening M42 steel
Aug 19th, 2021 at 12:49pm

I was told the other day that I HAD to use CBN wheels to sharpen M42 steel turning tools because the steel is so very hard and it would "eat up" other types of wheels.  I have not been able to find any information on this subject online, so I thought I'd post the question here!  Any advice or comment is appreciated!

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Sharpening M42 steel
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2021 at 1:39pm

I would say that's a bit of misinformation.
I used to sharpen M42 steel on basic friable AO wheels long before CBN was widely available.
That being said, M42 is more durable and does take a tiny bit more to sharpen, so you might have to dress standard wheels a little more often.
Using CBN wheels is a good idea IMO for many reasons but it's certainly not mandatory.

IP Logged

Joe Ruszczyk
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Kentucky, Kentucky, USA
Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Delta
Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2021 at 4:25pm

Thank you Ed....my wife will be happy to hear I don't NEED to buy CBN wheels!!!

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2021 at 4:35pm

Joe Ruszczyk wrote on Aug 19th, 2021 at 4:25pm:
my wife will be happy to hear I don't NEED to buy CBN wheels!!!

you really do, they're so nice Grin

Save up and wait for a sale, maybe start with a 180 grit when you can afford it.
They do almost last forever if you don't abuse them. In the long run they do end up being less expensive but the initial cost can be a bit daunting.

IP Logged

Terry Louis

WR Rocks!

Pacifica, California, USA
Pacifica
California
USA

Nova DVR XP
Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2021 at 9:55pm

would there be a big difference between using an 8" compared to a 6' grinder?

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 8:59am

There a difference, whether it's a deal breaker or not is up to you.

With a 6" wheel, the bevel or hollow grind will be slightly different in shape and depth due to the smaller diameter.
I'm sure some here use 6" wheels, hopefully they will add their thoughts.

The other thing to mention about size, is that CBN wheels remain the same diameter throughout their life, unlike friable wheels that get smaller with use as they wear.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #6 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 9:54am

I've used a 6" grinder for many years now...starting out with traditional stone wheels and eventually migrating to CBNs.  As Ed mentioned, the 6" wheels create a slightly different geometry on tools than the 8" wheel.  Whether this is a true 'problem' or not I think is the 'eyes' of the person holding the tool.  As one can image...the smaller the tool the less difference there is in how the 6" affects the tool than the 8".  Personally...I feel that any differences this creates in how my gouges are ground is readily adapted to.  As we use the same tool with the same grind all day, every day, we unconsciously adapt to what's in our hands and how we present it to the wood.  The only tool this becomes even the slightest of problems with is my large skew chisel.  While this isn't an issue for me on any of my bowl gouges, the smaller diameter wheel does become just a bit of a problem for me when it comes to putting my preferred grind angle on my 1 1/2" skew.  That may be a show stopper for some...but again, I've learned to adjust my turning to what's in my hands and fortunately for me, I don't use the tool frequently.  In the end, in my opinion, if you have a 6" grinder you can easily use that as your sharpening station.  Ideally and as Ed has pointed out, CBNs have many positives to consider and are generally worth the money in the long run.  Ken and Woodturner's Wonders typically has the best prices on CBNs and will regularly have sales.  Perhaps you could put it on your Christmas list.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 10:43am

John Grace wrote on Aug 20th, 2021 at 9:54am:
While this isn't an issue for me on any of my bowl gouges, the smaller diameter wheel does become just a bit of a problem for me when it comes to putting my preferred grind angle on my 1 1/2" skew.

Good point, this can be an issue for some but can be addressed by how the tools is presented to the wheel. A slightly different method or angle of sharpening may need to be employed to achieve the bevel you want.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #8 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 11:08am

You do not 'need' CBN wheels, but they are so much nicer in every way possible. I would suggest that you use your standard wheels and wear them out and then replace with an 180 grit CBN wheel. The standard wheels do tend to grind away a bit more steel than the CBN wheels, so if you need an argument in your favor, tell her your expensive tools will last longer with the CBN wheels....

Perhaps the biggest problem most have with sharpening is that they tend to grind rather than sharpen. It only takes a very light touch.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #9 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 11:41am

I use a 6 inch wheel. Happens to be a CBN from Woodcraft when they had a sale. As Robo stated, after the initial grind all you should be doing is sharpening the tool so a light touch and one swing over the wheel is all that is needed. I do like my CBN in that it sharpens quicker and I don't have to push my tools into it. Tools last longer.

Glenn J.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Terry Louis

WR Rocks!

Pacifica, California, USA
Pacifica
California
USA

Nova DVR XP
Reply #10 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 9:51pm

Yes I think I will have to add to my christmas list. I have two nice gouges now, my parting tool and skew are cheap ones the rest are screw drivers ground down. Would like to replace some of those first.

IP Logged

Bill Moschler

WR Rocks!

Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
Knoxville
Tennessee
USA

Nova
Reply #11 - Aug 21st, 2021 at 12:23pm

I bought one of the hard steel gouges.  Maybe M42.  Maybe something else.  I sharpen with AO wheels.  The gouge did not particularly hurt the wheels.  The other side of the equation is I simply cannot get the gouge to an acceptable level of sharpness with my wheels and setup.

My solution was to just toss the new tool in the back of the tool drawer and go back to my Sorby tools which I can get as sharp as I need quite easily if a little more often.

Eventually I will re develop enough interest in turning to buy the CBN wheel.

I went through a period where I was real interested in pocket knives and expensive steels and it sorta carried over to turning.  I have given all that up.  I am back to my generous assortment of D2 pocket knives and Sorby turning tools.  I have decided that for me "good enough" may really be "good enough" for now.  I no longer need or want real want to carry a pocket knife sharpened to the "maximum".  And I can turn with whatever Sorby uses in their tools.

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #12 - Aug 22nd, 2021 at 7:44am

Joe, realize that whether or not it's knives, chisels, shovels, any sharpened object, sharper is safer. One does not have to push so hard to cut with a sharp gouge. This makes for smoother cuts and more fun at the lathe.

Woodcraft has 6" CBN wheels for 145+. There is also a sale going on.

Glenn J.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #13 - Aug 22nd, 2021 at 11:54am

Many of my woodturning tools are either Sorby or Thompsond, and when turning for hours sometimes I sharpen every five minutes.  Even under that demand I get more than a year of a Norton aluminum oxide wheel before the wear is such that it is time to replace.  Harder steel may wear AO more quickly than a softer steel, but I don't think it is accurate to say harder steel "eats up" AO.

I'm confused by the suggestion that AO cannot get M42 sharp.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #14 - Aug 22nd, 2021 at 12:16pm

Doug Thompson uses a more standard grey wheel to sharpen his tools on when he is at a show. The standard wheels will sharpen the V10, M42, and other harder metal tools just fine, I think. Haven't used standard wheels in 10 or more years. I would expect the harder tools to abrade away the softer wheels faster than the more standard M2HSS tools, but that may not be by a very big difference. If you are going through one of the Norton wheels in a year, if you get a CBN wheel, it will still be running strong in 3 years. I consider them to be like variable speed lathes. Once you get one, you never want to go back to the pullies for changing speeds.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print