Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What lathe(s) does everyone have? (Read 1,215 times)

Mike smith
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Rockler Mini lathe
What lathe(s) does everyone have?
Sep 11th, 2021 at 6:22am

I do not think I will get a new lathe for a while, but I always like to window shop. I have the Rockler Mini lathe, and I love it, but it would be nice if it could turn larger bowls and had variable speed.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Re: What lathe(s) does everyone have?
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2021 at 8:34am

I have used a NOVA DVR XP for about ten years now.  I would classify it as a high-end hobbyist lathe with a 16" swing and variable speed.  Personally, I think they're a bit over-priced new relative to some other offerings but they can be found used at very reasonable prices.  I see them on FB Marketplace regularly with few hours...folks get them on a whim and then realize they're either not into turning, don't have the time/space, or simply tired of seeing it collect dust.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2021 at 1:55pm

I started on a Jet VS mini and still have it. Some years ago, I bought a Vega 2600. I also have a Taig micro that I use for small metal work.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2021 at 2:16pm

You can read what lathes I have under my name/avatar,
The only complaint I would have about the Jet is that the banjo isn't the best. It's the same one they use for their 14" lathes and is simply too small for a 16" lathe.
The Grizzly is an older, smaller, reeves drive lathe. It is what it is, no more no less.

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2021 at 7:35am

I have a grizzly G0584 that Is up for sale. I upgraded to a Powermatic 3520C. LIKE it a lot. I enjoy turning on it. Did not like the reeves drive on the Grizz. Also, lowest speed was too fast for safe (for me) rough turning.

Glenn J.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Mike Nardini
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2021 at 8:16am

I have a Jet, single speed, mini-lathe I bought new in 1998 and used only to turn some (~100) pens.  It has sat unused for several years.  I wanted to get into more turning and last month I got a fantastic deal on a used (less than ten hours) Robust Scout.
By the way, any suggestions to remove a frozen face plate on the Jet?  I have used PB Blaster several times along with three different kinds of oil filter wrenches to no avail.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2021 at 9:22am

Mike Nardini wrote on Sep 12th, 2021 at 8:16am:
By the way, any suggestions to remove a frozen face plate on the Jet?  I have used PB Blaster several times along with three different kinds of oil filter wrenches to no avail.

Is the faceplate frozen (rust locked?) on the spindle?  If so, you may try a propane torch around the thread area of the faceplate.

Alternatively...perhaps you could mount a long piece of wood (think 2 x4) to the faceplate with machine screws and nuts.  Perhaps the longer 'lever' of the 2x4 can either work it loose.

Using the same idea as above...perhaps a wide piece of flat iron affixed in the same manner above and then a heavy hammer in a crisp 'blow' may break it loose from where it's seized.

Good luck...

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2021 at 9:27am

Mike smith wrote on Sep 11th, 2021 at 6:22am:
but it would be nice if it could turn larger bowls and had variable speed.

I've always felt that when looking at a new tool...determine what you want to do first, then determine your budget, and of course...then solve for 'X'.  The Teknatool line for example all use the same motor configuration your so you're simply looking at different set-up configurations.  Jets and Grizzlies...both good tools, have differing motors and configurations they've used over the years.  Lagunas appear to be the next step up and/or at least a newer edition to the hobbyist turning world.  AFter that...you get into the high end world of Powermatics and Vicmarcs with their own loyalists.  And of course the premium of American machines...Robust.  I'm sure I'm missing some in betweens but you get the idea.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2021 at 12:17pm

My favorite lathe is my Vicmark 240, which is the one with the pivoting headstock. As a production turner, I needed some thing heavy duty. Had a PM 3520A first, then got a Robust AB, which I still have, then got the Vic. I prefer the Vic for turning bowls. First lathe was a 1/3 hp Atlas 4 speed. Upgraded to a 1 hp motor which was better, then bit the bullet and got the PM. I do have a Jet mini lathe but only use it for threaded boxes, which I need to do more of....

robo hippy

IP Logged

Bill Moschler

WR Rocks!

Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
Knoxville
Tennessee
USA

Nova
Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2021 at 2:48pm

I currently have a Nova 16 belt drive lathe.  No real plans to change.  I am a light and occasional turner.  Mostly I have been making fishing rod handles and reel seats along with some bowls.

IP Logged

Steve MItchell

WR Rocks!

san diego, California, USA
san diego
California
USA

Nova
Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2021 at 6:30pm

I have the powermatic 3520C. Love the swivel head stock!
And small Nova comet II

IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #11 - Sep 14th, 2021 at 2:37pm

Steve MItchell wrote on Sep 12th, 2021 at 6:30pm:
powermatic 3520C. Love the swivel head stock!

Swivel headstock? On a Powermatic 3520C?

IP Logged

Chris Brock

WR Rocks!

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Phoenix
Arizona
USA

NOVA DVR
Reply #12 - Sep 15th, 2021 at 10:18am

I have had a Nova DVR for many years. While I have been happy with the lathe, I do wish I had plunked down the extra cash to get a PM. While it may be a grass is greener kind of thing, I do feel that the sliding headstock is an improvement over the swivel of the Nova. And the additional capacity would be welcome as well. The DVR replaced a Jet mini.

On the other hand, unlike the Jet Mini, I have not been so unhappy that I have gone beyond idle pricing of a PM.  Wink

IP Logged

Bill Godber

WR Rocks!

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
Canada

record coronet no.3
Reply #13 - Sep 15th, 2021 at 12:29pm

I have a Record Coronet 3, it's 7in x 48in and has a sliding headstock that also swivels There's also an outboard toolrest that can be mounted to the ways that will let me turn much larger pieces with the headstock swiveled 180 deg.It has a belt drive with 4 speeds, a bit limited in speed control but very little to go wrong.I don't do a lot of turning so this will be my only lathe.

IP Logged

Kathrine wilborn
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Shopsmith 10 er
Reply #14 - Sep 15th, 2021 at 5:24pm

I have a shopsmith 10 er.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print