Help! Stuck Faceplate (Read 163 times)

Mike smith
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Rockler Mini lathe
Help! Stuck Faceplate
Sep 28th, 2021 at 4:41pm

Hello all,
I was recently turning a Hawthorn bowl and using my faceplate on my Rockler Mini lathe. The face plate is stuck and I can not get it off. I have tried all the methods recommended on Youtube and what the Rockler community service people said to do. It is still not coming free. Please Help! Thanks!

IP Logged

Robert Fischer

Windham, Maine, USA
Windham
Maine
USA

Nova DVR XP
Re: Help! Stuck Faceplate
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2021 at 6:23pm

So that we aren't offering duplicate suggestions, what have you tried already?
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2021 at 6:23pm by Robert Fischer »  

IP Logged

Mike smith
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Rockler Mini lathe
Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2021 at 6:45pm

I just got it unstuck! I grabbed the hand wheel with adjustable pliers and the faceplate with a wrench. Before, I was using the steel rod that inserted into the spindle to stop it. It only bent. Please ignore.

IP Logged

David Moeller

Old chiseler

Linden, Michigan, USA
Linden
Michigan
USA

LAGUNA REVO 15X24
CONOVER 15 x Infinity
Long gone: Shopsmith, Myford ML8, Homebuilt bowl lathe, NOVA benchtop, Delta 46-715 and a Unimat.

Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2021 at 8:16pm

Rule 36: Don't force it. Use a bigger hammer.  Glad ya got it.

Everyone has 1 redeemable feature: they're biodegradable

IP Logged

Paul Haus

WR Rocks!

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Minneapolis
Minnesota
USA

Jet 1642 extended to 60 inches
Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2021 at 7:33am

You can purchase plastic spacers that fit between a faceplate and headstock to reduce the chance of the faceplate becoming stuck.  They do work.  If you want to try something, I've made them from flat portions of old milk jugs before and they do work fine.

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #5 - Sep 29th, 2021 at 11:58am

Paul Haus wrote on Sep 29th, 2021 at 7:33am:
You can purchase plastic spacers that fit between a faceplate and headstock to reduce the chance of the faceplate becoming stuck. They do work. If you want to try something, I've made them from flat portions of old milk jugs before and they do work fine.

The best way to avoid this problem is to not get something jammed on the spindle. That means always gently tightening faceplates, chucks and other screwon fixings - NEVER spin on the fixing to that comes to a hard stop.

Unfortunately, the most common cause of a jammed fixing is getting a catch. I'm working on my turning skills and may get to the point where I no longer have catches with another 50 or so years of practice.

A plastic spindle washer can reduce the risk of something locking onto the spindle, but it won't eliminate that risk altogether. So it's still useful to know how to break free a jammed fixing. In general, using supplementary devices/tools to add leverage on both the stuck fixing and the handwheel will do the trick.

But spindle washers can introduce other problems - if the washer isn't truly flat, it will cause runout. It's easy to make your own spindle washer, but my experience with milk jugs is that the plastic is really cheap and the thickness is anything but uniform. Instead, I have found that the plastic from which shipping containers used to mail TurboTax software CDs is quite flat and can be used for this purpose.
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2021 at 12:01pm by Louie Powell »  

Louie

IP Logged

Paul Haus

WR Rocks!

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Minneapolis
Minnesota
USA

Jet 1642 extended to 60 inches
Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2021 at 6:43pm

Louie, we're not that far off.  I said the plastic discs can reduce the chance of having the chuck stick on the spindle, but I didn't say it prevented it entirely.  As far as thickness goes, I've cut some from a flat section of a jug and didn't see an appreciable wobble induced by the washer.  If someone doesn't like to cut their own, you can obviously buy them and they are also pretty flat.  To pop the chuck loose, keep a strap clamp on hand.  Just some comments.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print