wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Re: Turning Left Handed???
Reply #15 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 11:32am

Ed Weber wrote on Oct 6th, 2021 at 3:17pm:
The only way to determine if you're actually ambidextrous or just equally uncoordinated is to immobilize one hand at a time and use the facilities.
you'll soon discover which hand is dominate.

When our oldest was a toddler...my wife was convinced he is left-handed.  Not being sure myself, I thought of a silly test that though not scientific gave an indication of his handed-ness.  I put a soccer ball about 15-feet away from our son...and as a game, I asked our son to see what's the farthest he could kick it.  He sprinted to the ball and kicked it with his right foot.

As for myself, I'm a 'mixed' bag of hand dominance.  I throw a ball, bowl, and swing a bat/golf club right-handed.  But I play pool, shoot a rifle, and play all racquet sports left-handed.  Not sure how that lends itself to turning...but I do believe at least learning how to present the tool properly with out 'off' hand is beneficial as there will come a time when that's simply a better approach.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #16 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 1:48pm

John Grace wrote on Oct 9th, 2021 at 11:32am:
Not sure how that lends itself to turning...but I do believe at least learning how to present the tool properly with out 'off' hand is beneficial as there will come a time when that's simply a better approach.

That's the main point.
If you can't or don't feel comfortable switching hands, you are left with changing the turning setup.
This could be sliding or pivoting the head stock or turning in reverse as Reed mentioned.
The switching of hands eliminates the need for many, if not all of those alternate configurations.

IP Logged

Rick Caron

So many logs, so little
time!

Greer, South Carolina, USA
Greer
South Carolina
USA

Reply #17 - Oct 12th, 2021 at 4:54pm

Depends if your doing the outside   or the inside  of bowl.    I like left handed.   Also i can turn my headstock   ( nova  dvr xp )    So left handed is my choice.

IP Logged

Rick Caron

So many logs, so little
time!

Greer, South Carolina, USA
Greer
South Carolina
USA

Reply #18 - Nov 25th, 2021 at 6:50pm

Learn both ways   you'll  need them

IP Logged