Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Drive Center / Faceplate Removal Advice (Read 95 times)

Matt Guro
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Drive Center / Faceplate Removal Advice
Oct 10th, 2021 at 6:07pm

Hello turners,

I'm new to this forum as well as to the hobby of woodturning, so I apologize if this post is in the wrong place.

I was given this lathe by a family friend. It has a face plate, a drive center, and a live center in the tailstock. So far I've just done some practicing with the various tools. I roughed a spindle, practiced beads and coves with the skew chisel and spindle detail gouge.

What I really want to do next is turn a pen. So I need to remove the drive center and put in a mandrel. The trouble is, I can't figure out how to take out the drive center. I will share a link with photos of the lathe in a reply to this post, as I can't include a link on my first post.

I've tried inserting a dowel through the headstock, but it seems to stop short of where the end of the drive center taper should be. Also, there is a hole at the far end of the spindle that I am guessing should be used to lock the spindle while turning the faceplate off, but I don't have the tool to do this. I've tried with two screwdrivers with no luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should try next? I don't want to just go banging on a steel rod, for fear that I'm hitting something that I shouldn't be.

Another thing I'll need for pen turning is a shorter tool rest... Does anyone have any suggestions of what to use for this? Included in the imgur link is a measurement of the current tool rest post.

Thanks for any advice.
Matt

IP Logged

Matt Guro
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Re: Drive Center / Faceplate Removal Advice
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 6:07pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is the link to the photos.  Thanks again for any help.

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 8:01am

Matt

Conventionally, the way that a drive center is removed from the headstock involves a tool called a 'knockout bar'.  This is a steel rod that passes through the headstock bore up to the small end of the morse taper on the drive center.  Most of the time, the momentum of sliding the knockout bar through the spindle shaft is enough do dislodge the drive center, but in severe cases, it's possible to tap the end lightly.

You mentioned that you tried using a dowel but found that it met an obstruction.  The simplest explanation for that is that the diameter of the dowel is too large - in modern lathes, the spindle bore is designed for a 1/4" rod if the spindle has an MT1 taper, or a 3/8" rod if the spindle has an MT2 taper. 

The pictures indicate that your lathe is old, and we don't know the diameter of that bore.  My suggestion is to try 1/4" mild steel rod (most hardware stores have it in stock) since its unlikely that the lathe was designed for anything smaller. 

If that doesn't work, then more drastic steps will be required.  Since the faceplate is in place,  you can attach a piece of wood using a couple of the screw holes - the length of the wood should be long enough that when you rotate the faceplate toward you, the wood jams into the bedways of the lathe to prevent it from spinning.  With the spindle locked, you can try using an adjustable wrench on the derive center.  Ideally, it will only take a little torque to disengage the taper, so the wrench won't mar the drive center to any serious degree.  However, if it does leave some scratches, and if they bother you, you can always sand them out after you first get the drive center out and get the lathe running.

Louie

IP Logged

Matt Guro
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 8:13am

Thanks very much, Louie!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print