WR Rocks!

Depere, Wisconsin, USA
Depere
Wisconsin
USA

lathe from scratch
Nov 24th, 2021 at 10:27pm

Question,
My buddy has a 1 hp motor. Has anyone made a lathe from a motor they had sitting around? We were thinking about how to make it work.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Re: lathe from scratch
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2021 at 12:22pm

It can be done. With a 1 hp motor, you will need pulleys and belts. The link belts actually work pretty well. Not sure what they call the bearings, but pillow blocks? You will need a head stock spindle, and it needs to be threaded so you can mount a chuck and faceplates. Also nice if it is hollowed, with a #2 Morris taper on the bed end for taking spur drives. Forward and reverse are handy. You may be able to find the Conover lathe which was a headstock that you mounted on a wood bed. There are probably some on You Tube about how to do this. I know there are several about using a hand drill, which I wouldn't bother with.

It can be done, but it takes a lot of work. There was a long running thread about some guy that made a lathe from concrete.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Nila Veylan
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Depere, Wisconsin, USA
Depere
Wisconsin
USA

Re: lathe from scratch
Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2021 at 12:38pm

Yes! Thank you! I love this. My buddy with the motor likes to tinker with things. This will be a good project for him.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print