WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Finishing Help
Apr 23rd, 2022 at 9:51pm

I am not the best in finishing. I am a woodturner and flutemaker. I use wipe on poly and some rattle can lacquer or poly. Im just not satisfied with my finish. Are there spray guns that I could use to do a piece or two at a time? On spray guns I know Id have to clean the gun afterwards...Just want to know what you guys use. A detail gun maybe ? A recommendation or whatever you use.. Thanks in advance!!!!
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2022 at 9:51pm by Mike Turner »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Finishing Help
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2022 at 1:58pm

What is it about your finish you don't like.
A spray gun is simply a different delivery system, the product is still, poly, lacquer, etc.
Using a spray gun as opposed to a rattle can may not solve your issue.

IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2022 at 4:42pm

I get a good finish this time and not the next.I use to use a small piece of tee shirt or something similar with wipe on poly. On the flutes I did pretty good but the bowls the finish about 1/2 the time it wasnt pretty and smooth finish. I was hoping maybe to try and spray the bowls. if I knew what kind of sprayer!!!

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: FinishingHelp
Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2022 at 6:42pm

Spraying a non-flat surface like the inside and outside of a bowl I would find very challenging.  Gave up spraying several years ago because I could not always get an even wet coat without orange peel or dry misting even on flat surfaces.

Don't know your production rate, but partial cans of finish don't keep well, the gun has to be meticulously cleaned after every use, the cleaning solution disposed of  properly, and so on.  I have good success obtaining a nice satin or semi gloss sheen wiping on the finish, but I am not trying for a museum quality surface.

IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2022 at 10:28am

Thanks Don ,Glad you told me this!!!!

IP Logged

David Moeller

Old chiseler

Linden, Michigan, USA
Linden
Michigan
USA

LAGUNA REVO 15X24
CONOVER 15 x Infinity
Long gone: Shopsmith, Myford ML8, Homebuilt bowl lathe, NOVA benchtop, Delta 46-715 and a Unimat.

Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2022 at 1:09pm

I must have used every type of sprayer. They always did a decent job. But if you don't do multiples and production runs they are a pain innadoody.  Lips Sealed (What Don said 'bout clean up etc.)  Rattle cans for me! - or pads and cheap brushes. Personal fav for me is Beall three wheel buffing system whenever practical.

Everyone has 1 redeemable feature: they're biodegradable

IP Logged

Mike Nathal

WR Rocks!

Strongsville, Ohio, USA
Strongsville
Ohio
USA

Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2022 at 8:23am

If high gloss is what you are looking for, it is pretty common to  apply multiple coats of WOP or lacquer and do some wet sanding in between coats or every other coat.  Also,  Beall buffing is the best thing since sliced bread.   If you are going to use your bowls, high gloss is not usually chosen.   First, a film finish can flake off after wear and tear from utensils, etc.  Second, the wash/dry cycles can remove the shine, particularly a wax top coat.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print