WR Rocks!

Denham Springs, Louisiana, USA
Denham Springs
Louisiana
USA

Jet1221VS
New tool rest
Apr 25th, 2022 at 5:36pm

I just ordered a new tool rest. I had been thinking for some time about getting a better tool rest but just never got around to ordering one.
And then thereís the plans to buy a larger lathe so, I really wasnít in a hurry to order a new rest.
But then I had a little mishap the other day.
I was given a good size pice of Wild Persimmon. The guy that gave it to me said it was Swamp Persimmon and was cut in September from a tree that was blown over, down in the bayou, here in South Louisiana.
He told me that it was extremely hard, even when green. So I decided to turn it green and then dry it with shaving in a paper bag.
Boy was that piece of wood hard. I was just about done hollowing it out with the wall thickness being about 1 1/4Ē thick. Thatís when things went wrong. I was at the end of my tool rest and got a catch. Letís just say that I screwed up.
The bowl blank came out of the chuck and hit the floor pretty hard, and a good size piece of the bowl broke off.
I was not to happy with myself. Then I noticed that my tool rest was bent, and I was then mad at myself.
Iím pretty sure that I can save the bowl, but the tool rest is a loss.
Note to self; Donít be in a rush. And donít use the far edge of the tool rest when doing such work.
I ordered a 9 inch Robust Comfort tool rest.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Chris Brock

WR Rocks!

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Phoenix
Arizona
USA

NOVA DVR
Re: New tool rest
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2022 at 5:50pm

Sorry to hear of your learning experience, and glad you're ok. I have that rest, as well as the 4" one for smaller work, and I like them and use them all the time.

IP Logged

Dan Hoenisch
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Kenosha Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA
Kenosha Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Grizzly G0766 22" X 42"
Central Machinery 10" X 18"
Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2022 at 6:46am

Jeepers!

I had a mishap, but it was on the HF, and my rest just broke.† I ended up purchasing one of those rests that's just two welded on steel bars, and chromed over.† I quite like it, and it was fairly inexpensive.† If you're looking to upgrade your lathe anyhow, maybe look into one of those?†

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

In fact, I need to see if they make a taller one for my Grizzly.  I'd like a 12", but the 22" lathe is so tall, I'd need a rather tall tool rest. 

Dan
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2022 at 6:53am by Dan Hoenisch »  

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2022 at 6:52am

I had two tool rests break as a result of catches - in both cases, the post snapped off just below where the cross bar is attached.† Both were OEM posts that came with lathes (both made in Asia).

The first time, I had a machinist make a replacement - round tool-steel bar, threaded to screw into a matching post with a brass accent ring at the point of attachment.† It was beautiful workmanship, almost too pretty to use.† The second time, I found a generic replacement on Amazon.† Typical web-type rest, but with a tool-steel rod brazed to the edge that doesn't require periodic smoothing like mild steel.† The generic replacement was less expensive than the custom-made version.
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2022 at 7:34am by Louie Powell »  

Louie

IP Logged

Lee Bihm

WR Rocks!

Denham Springs
Louisiana
USA

Jet1221VS
Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2022 at 9:23am

I have a carpenter that is supposed to start building my new shop tomorrow. Once it is finished I plan to order a Grizzly G0766 lathe. It comes with a mild steel tool rest, which I will upgrade.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2022 at 10:44am

Once you use the hardened drill rod tool rests, it is kind of like variable speed on a lathe, you never want to go back. I never liked the round rod tool rests, at least the ones made with 1 inch round stock. As you lower your handle, the pivot point changes, and I didn't like that. One exception is the box tool rests from D Way. They use case hardened stainless steel, and the tools glide across it. Bar stock is maybe 1/2 inch diameter. Steve Sinner also makes nice hardened drill rod rests. You can buy the drill rod and if you know some one who can harden it, you can go that route and then use JB weld to stick it onto a standard rest. I did read where one turner bought a piece from D Way and did that. The first ones from Robust were epoxied on. I did drop it once and the drill rod popped off, but more JB weld and it was fine. If it has already been hardened, then you can weld it on. In tests that I did, the welding did not seem to change the hardness of the tool rests at all.

Finding the drill rod is not difficult, but generally from metal supply places, and not big box stores. There are 3 types, A, O, and W for air, oil and water, which I think means they were quenched in air, oil, or water. The air/A is the hardest to start, and for sure harder than cast iron tool rests.

robo hippy
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2022 at 10:47am by robo_hippy »  
IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2022 at 12:01pm

Rick Morris did a YouTube series on making toolrests - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register In part 3 of the series, he addresses the issue of applying a tool steel bar at the top of the rest.† Worth watching.

Rick's videos inspired me to make my own short (3") tool rest.† I am not equipped for welding or brazing, and I don't want to go there - so I just drilled and tapped an axial hole in the post, and used a machine screw and lockwasher to attach the mild-steel angle.† I didn't attempt to add the rod - it's a simple matter to smooth the top edge of the tool rest periodically.  Not elegant, but it has worked fine for about five years.
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2022 at 12:03pm by Louie Powell »  

Louie

IP Logged

Dan Hoenisch
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Kenosha Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Grizzly G0766 22" X 42"
Reply #7 - Apr 28th, 2022 at 6:42am

Lee Bihm wrote on Apr 26th, 2022 at 9:23am:
I have a carpenter that is supposed to start building my new shop tomorrow. Once it is finished I plan to order a Grizzly G0766 lathe. It comes with a mild steel tool rest, which I will upgrade.

Great choice of lathe.  I purchased mine a couple of months ago, and loving it.  The tool rest isn't bad, but, yeah, an upgraded one would certainly be in order.  I am using mine just fine, and with the warm weather coming, I won't see my shop much, but plan to get a better rest by Fall.

Dan

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #8 - Apr 28th, 2022 at 8:08am

FWIW Persimmon is the hardest wood grown in the US.

Sometimes nicknamed white ebony, which is ok since it is in the same genus Diospyros.

Ditto to what robo hippy says

IP Logged

Lee Bihm

WR Rocks!

Denham Springs
Louisiana
USA

Jet1221VS
Reply #9 - Apr 28th, 2022 at 11:08am

Dan Hoenisch wrote on Apr 28th, 2022 at 6:42am:

Great choice of lathe.† I purchased mine a couple of months ago, and loving it.† The tool rest isn't bad, but, yeah, an upgraded one would certainly be in order.† I am using mine just fine, and with the warm weather coming, I won't see my shop much, but plan to get a better rest by Fall.

Dan

† Thanks to Home Depot not being able to deliver all of the building materials In a timely manner, building on my new shop will start on Saturday the 30th. But Home Depot did refund my delivery fee so, thatís $80 to put towards the new lathe.
It does get pretty hot, down here, in the summertime, but winters can also get cold. After having cancer, I donít handle the cold that good. So I ordered an AC unit that has cool and heat for the new shop.
Once the shop is finished Iím going to watch the Grizzly G0766 and order it as soon as it goes on sale again. It was on sale last week for $200 off.
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2022 at 11:10am by Lee Bihm »  

IP Logged

Lee Bihm

WR Rocks!

Denham Springs
Louisiana
USA

Jet1221VS
Reply #10 - Apr 28th, 2022 at 11:14am

Ron Sardo wrote on Apr 28th, 2022 at 8:08am:
FWIW Persimmon is the hardest wood grown in the US.

Sometimes nicknamed white ebony, which is ok since it is in the same genus Diospyros.

Ditto to what robo hippy says

I would have to say that Persimmon is harder the woodpecker lips.
Iíve read that itís not a very stable wood, even after it has dried. Has any one here ever worked with it?

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #11 - Apr 28th, 2022 at 11:50am

I did turn a few bowls from it. It leaves a very bitter sap on you if you turn green. It was used for driver heads on golf clubs before the metal ones became popular. Not sure if it is any harder than hop hornbeam or mountain mahogany, Never turned any that was dry, though saw some that had spalted. Generally not much color in it, though the heart wood can be black. Usually very small heart wood. Oh, used for carver's mallets also.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Dan Hoenisch
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Kenosha Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Grizzly G0766 22" X 42"
Reply #12 - Apr 29th, 2022 at 6:29am

Lee Bihm wrote on Apr 28th, 2022 at 11:08am:
Dan Hoenisch wrote on Apr 28th, 2022 at 6:42am:

Great choice of lathe.† I purchased mine a couple of months ago, and loving it.† The tool rest isn't bad, but, yeah, an upgraded one would certainly be in order.† I am using mine just fine, and with the warm weather coming, I won't see my shop much, but plan to get a better rest by Fall.

Dan

† Thanks to Home Depot not being able to deliver all of the building materials In a timely manner, building on my new shop will start on Saturday the 30th. But Home Depot did refund my delivery fee so, thatís $80 to put towards the new lathe.
It does get pretty hot, down here, in the summertime, but winters can also get cold. After having cancer, I donít handle the cold that good. So I ordered an AC unit that has cool and heat for the new shop.
Once the shop is finished Iím going to watch the Grizzly G0766 and order it as soon as it goes on sale again. It was on sale last week for $200 off.

You can use the coupon code: DARBIN10 for 10% off right off the bat.  It came from the video on YouTube: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register; I was able to use it when I purchased my lathe.

Dan

IP Logged

Lee Bihm

WR Rocks!

Denham Springs
Louisiana
USA

Jet1221VS
Reply #13 - May 3rd, 2022 at 9:51am

Thanks Dan, Iíll use that code when I order my lathe.

My new tool rest came in the other day and what a difference. I should have bought one a year ago.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print