Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Importance of cutting edge shape (Read 66 times)

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

The Importance of cutting edge shape
May 11th, 2022 at 8:23am

Turners constantly are reminded that a dull cutting edge can negatively impact efficiency and quality of the surface, but not the importance of the shape of the edge.  Not the relative merits of for example Irish and swept back "grinds" on a bowl gouge, but too pointy or flat spindle gouge noses, a concave section of a bowl gouge wing, and so on.  Shape is as important as sharp.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: The Importance of cutting edge shape
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2022 at 11:07am

I agree, this is more often than not an over looked topic.

This also connects with your thread about Irish grind gouges.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Many people like them because there are (or can be) many different cutting edge shapes in one tool. Using the nose or tip for roughing out, then using the area between the nose and the wing for shaping and finally the wing for a shearing cut is an example.

Having said all that, there is often no substitute for having a dedicated tool ground for a specific job. It can make the cutting/turning easier and leave a much better surface.
I could list and describe  the cutting edge shape on all of the tools I use but since it is mostly a personal preference determined on how and what is turned, it may not have too much value.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print