Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Turn thin or leave thick? (Read 468 times)

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Turn thin or leave thick?
May 12th, 2022 at 8:58pm

I have a 10” green maple bowl with a crotch and a nice feather I can already see…I started it today..Just didn’t have time to finish roughing out so I just left thick until tomorrow. It is wrapped in some damp towels for now

My question is it had a couple of small branches that left 2 knots which I know may crack..  Is it best to leave this bowl thick or turn it thin? In the past I have put super glue on them then anchor seal after glue has dried.. Turn thin or leave a little thick?    Thanks !!!
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2022 at 11:47pm by Mike Turner »  

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: Turn thin or leave thick?
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2022 at 7:41am

A photo might help

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2022 at 6:16pm

Do you want to twice or once turn?  Yes, crotch figure warps more, but that is the nature of wood.  Green crotch figure is hard enough to work with gouges, I would not want to turn dry crotch figure.

IP Logged

Leo Van Der Loo

WR Rocks!

Delta Midi
Jet mini
King metal lathe turning large wood
Reply #3 - May 13th, 2022 at 11:13pm

You can do either, turn thin and have a warped bowl, or turn regular 10% thickness, I put these in a brown paper bag that I set at a cool place, and let dry for a few or more weeks then remove from the bag and let dry.

I normally do twice turn my bowls, and leave the wood at the 10% thickness, especially when making platters, as they will warp more than bowls normally, so you need the thickness to make a flat platter.

For knots I will always let thin CA glue soak into then, it helps to prevent them splitting.

Here are 3 bowl and one platter I have turned, I do have more pictures but the limit is 4 on this forum.

IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #4 - May 14th, 2022 at 3:57pm

Thanks everybody! I twice turn all my green wood and always do the ca glue on knots. I went ahead and turned this bowl about 3/8” on the walls and a little thicker on bottom where recess is.

I did 3 yarn bowls recently. I soaked these in dna. They are drying pretty fast. I check the moisture with my cheap meter. I didn’t think about soaking the bowl I made the post about lol!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print