Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lee Valley Polymerized Tung Oil and Sealer (Read 228 times)

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Lee Valley Polymerized Tung Oil and Sealer
May 17th, 2022 at 6:53pm

Anyone have experience with these products?  Easy to apply?  How many hours between coats?  How many coats?  Durability?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Lee Valley Polymerized Tung Oil and Sealer
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2022 at 9:40am

No experience with this specific product but from reading, it is just Tung oil that cures faster. Any application and/or sanding regime should remain the same, just less time in between coats.
As to the durability, Tung oil has been a proven wood protectant for about 2500 years.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2022 at 6:01pm

Description of the recommended Polymerized Tung Oil Sealer says it can be mixed with Polymerized Tung Oil in differing proportions to obtain a balance of oil, thinners, and driers (and different sheens).  The literature suggests pure Polymerized Tung Oil begins to cure too quickly for large surfaces and for beginning finishers.

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #3 - May 19th, 2022 at 7:31am

Don Stephan wrote on May 18th, 2022 at 6:01pm:
Description of the recommended Polymerized Tung Oil Sealer says it can be mixed with Polymerized Tung Oil in differing proportions to obtain a balance of oil, thinners, and
driers
(and different sheens).  The literature suggests pure Polymerized Tung Oil begins to cure too quickly for large surfaces and for beginning finishers.

I would want to know what driers are used in this product.

I use pure Tung oil, either by itself, thinned with turpentine, or as one of the ingredients in a shop-made Tung oil varnish (aka a 'long oil' varnish, or Danish oil).  When used alone or thinned with turpentine, I know that it is a pure vegetable product (it's Vegan!) and therefore food safe after it has cured. 

But when I see the word 'driers' I think of some kind of heavy-metal additive that I would want to understand better before applying it to my work.
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2022 at 7:32am by Louie Powell »  

Louie

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - May 19th, 2022 at 8:12am

Louie Powell wrote on May 19th, 2022 at 7:31am:
I would want to know what driers are used in this product.

These products don't have additional driers added, they go through a heating cycle to give the polymerization a kick-start. This is no different than BLO, which is not boiled but heat treated. They byproduct of the heat treatment is an increase in viscosity, which is why it requires thinning.

IP Logged

Tim Connell
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Cameron, Illinois, USA
Cameron, Illinois
USA

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2022 at 11:24pm

I have used quite a bit of Lee Valley  (LV) polymerized tung oil, but now mix my own (oil, solvent and drier) due to cost.  Sutherland Welles (SW) manufacturers this oil and licences LV to package the oil with a LV label.

The SW and LV polymerized tung oils do contain driers, the polymerization reduces the need for driers, but doesn't eliminate the need if you want a quicker dry time.

From experiments on pure (no drier added) polymerized tung oil the dry time between coats for me was almost 5 days in a cool basement at ~65°.  This oil was from a manufacturer other than SW. Non-polymerized tung oil with no driers would take around 7-10 days under the same conditions.

With LV PTO, they would dry for me in 24hrs or less.  My procedure with PTO (both LV oil and my own mix) is to apply the oil with cotton rag, and keep applying (trying to saturate the wood) for about 10 minutes reapplying the oil to areas that rapidly absorbed it.  Then lightly wipe excess oil off with a paper towel and let dry.  The next day, buff with ultra fine steel wool, non abrasive pad or 400x sandpaper, clean surface and repeat. If you try to keep applying the oil past about 10 minutes, you will feel the viscosity increasing as you wipe and that means it's time to stop.

The number of coats I use varies widely from one to about eight coats depending on the wood and the sheen desired. Maybe three to four coats is average for me across a variety of woods.

You can use only a single coat and then buff much like many do with walnut oil, or apply more coats to increase the sheen.

BTW, I never bothered buying the sealer, it is just PTO than has more thinner.  Buy the PTO and thin it yourself.

« Last Edit: May 19th, 2022 at 11:44pm by Tim Connell »  

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - May 20th, 2022 at 11:49am

Tim Connell wrote on May 19th, 2022 at 11:24pm:
I have used quite a bit of Lee Valley  (LV) polymerized tung oil, but now mix my own (oil, solvent and drier) due to cost.  Sutherland Welles (SW) manufacturers this oil and licences LV to package the oil with a LV label.

The SW and LV polymerized tung oils do contain driers, the polymerization reduces the need for driers, but doesn't eliminate the need if you want a quicker dry time.

So the description on the can,
"Formulated as the finest hand-rubbed tung oil wood finish (for brush use too), our Original Formula/Interior Polymerized Tung Oil is the first product that Sutherland Welles Ltd.® ever formulated, with no use of volatile organic compounds (VOC exempt)."

If you read further on,

"Our Original Formula line was our very first line over 50 years ago. We are still formulating the line much as we did then with some important improvements. We use very low toxic chemical driers and we now use a VOC exempt solvent that is virtually odorless. "

So the driers are there but in such low levels as to be exempt from having to put them on their sds.
I really wish these chemical companies would stop this and just tell use what's in the can in plain language.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - May 20th, 2022 at 12:13pm

For those interested at looking into this subject
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Tim Connell
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Cameron, Illinois, USA
Cameron, Illinois
USA

Reply #8 - May 20th, 2022 at 12:23pm

Driers may also be classified as trade secrets and are thus exempt from public disclosure.

IP Logged

Chris Brock

WR Rocks!

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Phoenix
Arizona
USA

NOVA DVR
Reply #9 - May 20th, 2022 at 4:39pm

Tim Connell wrote on May 20th, 2022 at 12:23pm:
Driers may also be classified as trade secrets and are thus exempt from public disclosure.

I would think that metallic driers in any appreciable qty would be required to appear on the MSDS (material safety data sheet) in order to market the product, regardless of trade secret status.

But I'm no expert  Shocked

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - May 21st, 2022 at 11:01am

Chris Brock wrote on May 20th, 2022 at 4:39pm:
Tim Connell wrote Yesterday at 09:23:22:

I would think that metallic driers in any appreciable qty would be required to appear on the MSDS (material safety data sheet) in order to market the product, regardless of trade secret status.

But I'm no expert  Shocked

As far as I know, the ONLY things that can be committed from an SDS are chemicals that are listed on the known hazards list or are at levels low enough as not to pose any danger.

When I first started reading these sheets, (back in the 80's) they were MSDS sheets and they listed ALL the ingredients. Someone thought that there was no longer a need for this and here we are.
This is why most SDS for wood finishes have only the solvent and driers listed. If something is deemed to be non-harmful, (or in such low levels)  they don't list it and they're not required to.
There are very few companies that voluntarily list more than the minimum required, so much for an informed consumer, you can't find out even if you wanted to.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #11 - May 29th, 2022 at 10:03am

An email reply from Lee Valley confirmed there are additives in their Polymerized Tung Oil finish, but didn't identify them.  I'm going to assume the additives are one or more driers and one or more resins so the cured finish develops a sheen.  So I'll continue using thinned Old Masters polyurethane on my bowls.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #12 - May 29th, 2022 at 2:09pm

Don Stephan wrote on May 29th, 2022 at 10:03am:
An email reply from Lee Valley confirmed there are additives in their Polymerized Tung Oil finish, but didn't identify them.

That's pretty much what I would expect. You could try to email  Sutherland Welles and ask them, since that's what the Lee Valley product is, simply rebranded as Tim pointed out.
They may tell you the same thing but it's up to you.

IP Logged

Tim Connell
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Cameron, Illinois, USA
Cameron, Illinois
USA

Reply #13 - May 29th, 2022 at 8:31pm

Don Stephan wrote on May 29th, 2022 at 10:03am:
An email reply from Lee Valley confirmed there are additives in their Polymerized Tung Oil finish, but didn't identify them.  I'm going to assume the additives are one or more driers and one or more resins so the cured finish develops a sheen.  So I'll continue using thinned Old Masters polyurethane on my bowls.

The additives are most likely only driers.  No added resins are needed, tung oil will provide a high sheen by itself with multiple coats.  BTW, tung oil is a resin by definition.
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2022 at 8:32pm by Tim Connell »  

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #14 - Jun 1st, 2022 at 5:20pm

Southerland Welles replied their polymerized tung oil has <.5% driers and anti-skinning agents, the product is about 40% tung oil and the rest citrus thinner.
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2022 at 5:21pm by Don Stephan »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print