California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Taking Credit
Jul 14th, 2022 at 10:50am

It seems to me that it's becoming more and more common for people to either:
1. Take credit for ideas & designs that aren't their own
2. Let unaware people believe that the idea & design is their own by omission ( not telling them)

I recently saw a person on YT make a turners cube out of resin and other material, not my cup of tea but that's not the point.
In the comments, I would estimate about 50% or more were under the impression that he came up with the turners cube design. Judging by their fawning comments, I can only guess they never saw or heard of one before.
I commented that he should let his viewers know that he didn't design it, he only made his version of it, as to not mislead his viewers.
I got called a Karen.

I really am getting sick and tired of many (mostly younger) people not respecting history. Everything is "new" just because they never heard of it, this is just crazy.
There are lots of designs and concepts out there I've never seen but it doesn't mean they're new, just new to me.
I can't even fathom putting out a piece based on someone else's design and leaving people with the impression that I designed it.
It's just dishonest. I know I can't stop everyone from doing this but I will call it out when I see it.

This is just like the story of the photographer and the painter that I shared a while back.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

JMNSHO

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: Taking Credit
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2022 at 4:23pm

Sadly, it's a billion dollar industry taking credit for other people's ideas.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2022 at 4:31pm

I don't know how you can sit there quietly and have people praise you for something that you know isn't your own. An Idea, a piece of art, what ever, it's shameful.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2022 at 10:11am

I would not be able to do that. I always give credit where credit is due. I am seldom able to do the same thing twice in a row. Most of this is the engineer's syndrome, "if it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it anyway"....

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2022 at 2:22pm

robo_hippy wrote on Jul 16th, 2022 at 10:11am:
"if it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it anyway"

LOL, my dad use to say to me, "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

IP Logged

David Moeller

Old chiseler

Linden, Michigan, USA
Linden
Michigan
USA

LAGUNA REVO 15X24
CONOVER 15 x Infinity
Long gone: Shopsmith, Myford ML8, Homebuilt bowl lathe, NOVA benchtop, Delta 46-715 and a Unimat.

Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2022 at 10:08pm

Robo, don't force it apart. Use a bigger hammer.  Moe

Everyone has 1 redeeming feature: they're biodegradable

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Jet 1642EVS
Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2022 at 9:29am

In a Facebook group for people who show at art fairs & the things that are overheard that I belong to, there have been several discussions about "customers"  blantantly taking pictures or buying items and bragging about how they are going to copy them.  As a woodturner, this doesn't really bother me, because I don't have a signature look. If I copy someone's technique, I give credit, but to out & out tell an artist you're going to copy their unique work without asking is bordering on intellectual property theft.  Which is what Ed is talking about.   If someone wants to copy the shape or style of item or even reproduce it, go for it.   But if I was a photographer or painter now that's a different story.   I was next to a photog once who asked someone not to photograph his work.  The person was kinda beligerent about being stopped.  He still didn't understand after it was explained that the artist spent a year getting the right setup for the moon, the milkyway and aurora to all be in the right places and time and he didn't want someone to take a picture of his picture and then have it printed.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Jul 18th, 2022 at 9:41am

Intellectual property theft, plagiarism, these are all real crimes that more often than not don't get punished.
There is also just lying by omission. i'm not sure how it's categorized.

If I made a Soren Berger style scoop and people start telling me, "wow that's great you're so creative" and I don't tell them it's not my design, I'm lying by omission and knowingly taking credit (passively at least) for something that isn't mine.
This is what I've been seeing a lot of lately. "creators" making videos of whatever and letting the positive comments role in, never bothering to tell anyone what they made or the technique that they're using, wasn't their own.
While this is quite obvious to some, it would seem that to the majority of the YT viewers it's not. Add to that, the fact that no one seems to bother doing any actual research on anything any more or have any sense of history beyond a year ago. Now every video is "new" no matter now old the actual content actually is. Undecided

Here is an example I found in about a 2 minute search

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print