Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gallery display question (Read 603 times)

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Jet 1642EVS
Gallery display question
Aug 28th, 2022 at 9:29am

Yesterday we stopped by a gallery that carries a number of my turned bowls.  I noticed that they had put a bunch of wooden tongs and spoons in almost all of them.  That hit me wrong.  It was like they were using them as holders for someone else's work.  Now maybe one set of tongs in a bowl as an example or cross marketing, wouldn't bother me, but to have the bowls filled?  I would have said something to the owner, but the store was busy and he was helping customers. 

Am I being to touchy?   I didn't see paintings or sculptures being used to display/hold other artists work.

Thanks.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Gallery display question
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2022 at 11:07am

I don't know if you're being too touchy, it's your work, BUT

You could also look at it as different approaches to using your bowls.
Not everyone can visualize what things like bowls can be used for. Some may think soup and some popcorn, but not much beyond that.
If the gallery puts tongs or spoons in the bowls, it may give customers ideas about the piece that thy might not have had on their own.
There is no limit to a bowl's usage, offering alternatives is sometimes a good idea.
I have bowls around the house with all sorts of unconventional (to some) things in them from USB drives to keys & change to parts for projects and on and on.
If the props help sell your work, it's all good, so long as they don't overshadow them. If your bowls are being used as simply part of the display in order to sell other items, then the gallery either needs to buy them from you outright or stop that practice.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2022 at 12:04pm

How are your sales at this gallery?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Jet 1642EVS
Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2022 at 9:29am

I agree Ed.   I didn't mind it that there was one bowl, with one set of tongs in it.  I see that as cross marketing,  give a buyer who is wanting a bowl to see a nice set of tongs that adds to the bowl. 

Ron,   Not great I sell a bowl there once every 2-3 months.  I hadn't been in there for probably a year.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2022 at 7:11am

There are galleries and there are wannabes.

A good gallery would actively display your work to promote sales.

A good gallery is hard to find and would be worth the effort to keep them happy.

If it were me I'd ask the owner if he would be interested in buying your bowl(s) as displays. If not then ask him to remove the thongs and spoons as you believe it's hurting your sales and even possibly damaging your work. Also mention that you won't mind one set of thongs or a single spoon in your bowls

In a week or two go back to the gallery and if things haven't changed then let him know your arrangement had come to an end.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2022 at 12:47pm

Bill Neff wrote on Aug 28th, 2022 at 9:29am:
they had put a bunch of wooden tongs and spoons in almost all of them.

Sounds like your bowls are used as a display. Let the store buy them. With that amount of sales, would be good idea to look elsewhere.

JMHO
Glenn J.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2022 at 6:33pm

Perhaps your not stopping by in over a year made a bad impression on the gallery owner.  I would suggest dropping by at least every other month and offer to swap out bowls that have been on display for more than a few months with different ones.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #7 - Sep 2nd, 2022 at 8:35am

Don Stephan wrote on Sep 1st, 2022 at 6:33pm:
Perhaps your not stopping by in over a year made a bad impression on the gallery owner.  I would suggest dropping by at least every other month and offer to swap out bowls that have been on display for more than a few months with different ones.

Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print