Here for your perusal is my offering for Leo. Sorry about the lousy pic, but I hope you enjoy it. Cup and base are Olive that was included in one of the wood exchanges we did a while back. The stem is apple, again included in a wood exchange. I wanted to do something more with the stem so I dyed it with Rit dye. Wasn't sure it was actually stay red or not, but as you can see (I hope) it did. Being who I am, there is a significance to the wood selections.
Finish - Seal-A-Cell, Beale buffed with all three grits
Stem has tenon on each end inserted and glued into mortises in both cup and base.
I really like the Olive wood and the Red dyed stem. They look great together. I like the shape you gave all three pieces. It is a great job. I like seeing your work and wish you posted more of it. If I had to nit pic I would like to see the stem and base a little smaller in diameter (IMHO), but I see nothing wrong with what you have and it has a heafty sturdy look to it. Might just be the way it looks to me in the photo. Ric
Thanks Ric. I agree with the base being a bit too big in diameter. I'm thinking that it ought to be about 1/2" smaller. The stem I'm not so sure about. The knots at the top of the stem, I believe, would have caused the who thing to disintegrate if I had turned it much smaller. I understand what you are saying though. Normally I'd like a smaller stem myself. I'd have to turn another and have the two side by side to know for sure. But, alas I have not the time or the patience right now. Not to mention more olive this size. Maybe I'll do another goblet for fun when I get some time with another 1/16" stem just to show. They are kind of fun to do and do show that that thin a stem really does do the job. 8-)