support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Re: Welcome
Reply #225 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 6:51pm

Bill and Royce,

Glad to see both of you here.  I believe you'll both find that we have a real good time around here.  Jump right in, join the banter, ask any questions, supply any answers you might have.  Shoot, you can even speculate from time to time.  We don't take ourselves too seriously around here.  So, have fun.  8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

la_truciolara

Passionate Italian woodturner

Reply #226 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 10:11am

I am a 61 y/o wood turner.  I started on this wooden lathe I use as avatar.  It was actioned with a pedal… now I cannot do without an electronic speed control.
My workshop (and school) equipped with Vicmarcs and Oneways is close to Verona (Italy).  For those who forgot what they learned when they were kids, Verona is in the North of Italy, real close to Venice.
I like to see the woodturning evolution all around the world and that is why I am so happy to have joined your forum
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2007 at 10:19am by la_truciolara »  
WWW Truciolara La truciolara  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #227 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 11:08am

Welcome to our little slice of turning Heaven.  You are always welcome.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Larry Charlot
WR Addict

Professional Sawdust Maker

Yakima, Washington, Washington, USA
Yakima, Washington
Washington
USA

Reply #228 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 5:25pm

Welcome all who have joined lately.  You all will add to the wealth of knowledge that is passed through here for us to gain from.

Larry

Want a better life, TURN it into something better

IP Logged

Tom Davis
WR Addict

I get jokes

Reply #229 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 1:57pm

Well I might as well jump in with both hands and say hello. I just bought a Rikon 70-100. I have taken a beginning bowel turning class at the local Woodcraft store and was hooked in a short min. My previous turning experience was way back in High School in 1961 made a bowl out of some clear ceder and still have it to this day. I must say that it looks mightily primitive as dose the one I just turned. I have been retired for about six years now and make toy boxes for the wife to sell at craft fairs. I don't make a lot of cash selling them but it keeps me out of trouble. I spend most of the warm months riding my Harley around the us and now I can look for wood to turn when I get home.
I live in Reno Nev. and don't gamble so most of my disposable cash goes to wood working and Harley. The Bubba is a nickname and Tom is the real one.
I have been reading a lot of the threads and there is a wealth of info here. Hope to contribute some as I learn.

LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY, WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING
WOW WHAT A RIDE

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #230 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 8:56pm

Welcome to this corner of the vortex, Bubba Tom.   Wink  I think you will find this to be a super friendly place to visit.  Not many of us take ourselves very seriously, so we have a lot of fun doing it.  Grin Grin

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #231 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 2:42am

Hello to All:

I finally found ya'll and like what I see.  I'm Leo Frilot and have been turning for about 8 years.  I use a
"Souped Up"
Craftsman lathe, installed a variable speed drive to keep from changing belts.  Anyway, I love to turn the exotics, especially the Aussie burls.  Started on spindles, then pens, and now mostly bowls and peppermills.  I live in Baton Rouge, LA and am a member of Acadiana Woodturners.  See you around!

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #232 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 5:57am

Real glad to have you with us in our little corner of the vortex.  We like to say that now you've been vortexized.  I've already seen you postings and believe you're going to be a great addition to our little community.  As you've probably already noticed, we tend to have a bit of fun around here.  So, jump right in and have a good time.  Offer your thoughts and advice and opinions.  Ask your questions.  With the questions you are sure to get some answers, sometimes the correct ones. 

Welcome aboard.   8)

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

jalberg
WR Noob

I don't know chat lingo

Reply #233 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 9:21am

Hey wood turners

I have to say that I've not turned a piece of wood in over 40 years. Since that time, I have had my own custom furniture store in Mill Valley and Sausalito CA, and had a wooden Christmas tree ornament company using a laser to cut my ornaments. I am self taught and found that I liked to sculpt my wood rather than turn it - plus I have always been frightened of lathes. I was drawn to this site because I have a huge cottonwood burl that is bowl shaped and about 4 feet across and 2 1/2 feet deep. I have been waiting to work on this piece as it is a once in a lifetime thing for me. I want to fill some of the cracks with bright colors, and saw an article on filling wood with ground tuquoise. I have been looking for a supplier of ground stone - thus far Rio Grande is the only source I've found. I would apreciate any info or ideas about finding and/or using ground stone or other colorful media as filler for cracks/blemishes.Thanks for having a non turner in your midst if you will
jarles alberg

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #234 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 9:18pm

I use the fillers from Craft Supplies, USA. Webiste is Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.  They have several different types to choose from. Welcome. I'm relatively new here also, but it is a blast!

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

jalberg
WR Noob

I don't know chat lingo

Reply #235 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 4:19pm

thanks for the info - the crushed stone from woodturner catalogue was about 1/2 price of the stone from the jewelry catalogue rio grande. So I ordered about 70$ worth of stuff - maybe this is what will get me going on this big bowl.

IP Logged

Blueman89
WR Noob

Beginner Turnaholic

Reply #236 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 12:44pm

Hey all, just signed up here the other day and like what I see so far. I was refered to this site by Beaverfsu.  I got hooked on turning after I turned a pen at the local Rockler. Got a lathe and tools for Christmas, and I've been making shavings since. Definetly makes the time I'm not fishing fun.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, You're right.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #237 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 3:38pm

Glad to have you with us.  Jump right in and hang on for the ride.  We do like to have a bit of fun around here.   8)

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

DaveZ
WR Noob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #238 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 6:02am

Hi guys, I've been lurking here for a bit, very nice site!

Both the photo gallery and the how to section are awesome.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #239 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 10:09am

DaveZ, glad you're joining in.  Now that you've gotten your feet wet you know that the water's fine.  Don't hang out in tha shadows.  Everyone learns when we ask our questions and try to answer them.  8)

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 28
Send Topic Print