Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
System Security---Spyware and Antivirus Programs (Read 948 times)

Negeltu

System Security---Spyware and Antivirus Programs
Oct 23rd, 2005 at 5:09am

I help alot of people with their PC's.  So far I have not come across ONE PC that was free of Spyware/Trojans/Worms or Virii.  I find the number of people who have inadequate system security astounding.  So I thought I would post addresses to some really good antispyware and antivirus software.  All of these programs are free and very effective!  One point first... if you install one of these antivirus programs make sure you uninstall your old one if you have one.  Two Antivirus programs with resident active shields do NOT work well together and could cause serious system instability.

First the Anti Spyware Programs:

Microsoft AntiSpyware (Beta stage still, but very good program.  If you have Windows XP then I recommend using this program.)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Spybot Search and Destroy (A great program for scanning for spyware. )
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

AdAware (Not as good as Spybot in my opinion, but they both find things the other doesn't.)

Now for the Antivirus programs:

Avast HE (My personal fav.  Has Resident Shield, Web Shield, Mail Scanner, P2P Shield, Instant Messaging Shield, Outlook Scanner and Network Shield)

Antivir PE

AVG (Not bad, but if it finds something with the resident guard it won't take care of it at the time, but will tell you to scan your system Undecided )

Anyway, I think everyone can benefit by checking their systems.  No telling what's on there. Wink

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Tom Stover

Shepherdsville, Ky, Kentucky, USA
Shepherdsville, Ky
Kentucky
USA

Re: System Security---Spyware and Antivirus Progra
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 7:12am

I have all three anti-spyware programs already installed and when my Nortons anti-virus protection runs out I'm going to use one of the free ones. I was thinking AVG but I might rethink that now. Thanks for the links.
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2005 at 8:32am by Tom Stover »  

Joseph T.(Tom) Stover

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 8:52am

I'm w/Smokey. Symantec works very well & the updates come regularly but is it worth the money? I'm still thinkin' about that. ???

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 9:46am

I've been using McAfee, but only buying it when there was a full rebate.  In the last 10 years, the only time I have had a virus problem happened while I was setting up a new hard disk, and hadn't gotten McAfee installed yet.  Format C:  and start over with McAfee being the first software installed.  That's not to say I haven't had spyware occassionally, but twice weekly or more frequent scans by AdAware and Spybot get rid of that

I also use ZoneAlarm firewall(second thing installed).  Also by running through a hardware router/firewall an outside computer only sees the router with nothing on it.  I think that has helped the most with port assaults.  If you are on a broadband connection, a hardware router/firewall should be considered a necessity, even if you only have one computer connected to it.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 3:15pm

Well, Avast gets daily updates...sometimes 2 times a day.  It autoupdates itself so you don't have to worry about it.  I had Norton for awhile and decided to get rid of it.  It was just a resource hog.  After I installed avast... it found 7 trojans that Norton just let sit on my system without a peep.  Ever since switching to Avast I have had no trouble at all.  AVG like I said will cause you to manually scan if it's resident shield finds something.. Sad

Yes a router is great.  But it only takes care of incoming and not outgoing.  A good software firewall like Sygate/ZoneAlarm or Comodo is good.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print