Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What was your favorite sale? (Read 3,441 times)

Don Leydens

WR Rocks!

What was your favorite sale?
Aug 29th, 2009 at 10:27am

Just wondering what your favorite, most rewarding or strangest sale might have been. I'm sure they are some good ones out there.

Here's mine:
I was at the doctors office last week getting a chemo treatment and sold two bowls while the I V bag was dripping and a GIANT needle was in my chest slowly being plunged.
A woman (husband was a patient) came into the chemo room and said, "hey, I know you, you sold me the Zebrawood vase at the craft show. Do you still have that big vase that was elevated up in the back of your display?". I said yes, and she said she wanted it. Then the nurse with the Fred Flintstone needle, said "could you make me a big bread mixing bowl/". Sure!
Next chemo treatment (Tuesday) I'm bringing a bunch of stuff to the doc's office and set up a little display in back of the receptionist (got the OK already). All the nurses congregate back there, so who knows....more sales while getting chemo? Why the heck not?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Re: What was your favorite sale?
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 5:05pm

Congrads on the sale's and wish you more on your return visit.

The only thing I can come up with is I was finishing up an antler pen at my 1st show when this young man came walking by, looked at my display and then came over to where I was polishing the antler pen on the lathe, he told me not to sell it because he wanted it over my wooden pen. Didn't even ask the price and left a 20 to hold it while he went to re-leave himself, on his way back he stopped and picked it up and left, shortly after wards, I had others wanting antler pen's which I had already started making and sold all the antler pen's that I made that day. Turned out to be a very nice first show thanks to that young man.

Wizzy

IP Logged

Don Leydens

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 6:43pm

Very good Mike (or is it Wizzy, still trying to get the lingo down).
Hey, I would like one of those antler pens myself! I have a neighbor who has given me LOTS of walnut (4 entire trees so far) and that would make a great Christmas present for him. He's an avid hunter. Could you PM me and we'll work it out? Might want one for myself too.

Also, I have a bunch of walnut, maple, sycamore and other cut offs that will wind up in the fireplace if no one wants them. No charge of coarse, just flat rate shipping. They're odd shapes that might work out to approx. 4x4x4 lets say. Anyone interested give me a shout.

IP Logged

Dale Gillaspy
WR Addict

Turning Designer Firewood

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2009 at 10:27pm

I was doing a craft show and Dale Nish walked up to the table. After about 30 minutes of him looking at my stuff, and my BEGGING him just to take something for free, he gave me $35 for a lidded mesquite vessel.

WWW Dale Gillaspy gd5043  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2009 at 10:47pm

I think going to a "presentation" at a senior center and selling $1750 in pens in 2 trips.

JimQuarles

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 12:35am

At my second show, I had a couple walk up to me asking if I had anything related to Japanese culture.  Their son was marrying a Japanese woman and needed a dowry gift.  I directed them to the Ikebana combo's I had and even had one made from Asian Ebony.  How perfect!  They then proceeded to look around and purchased everything I had made from Asian Ebony; 6 items if I recall.  They left extremely happy, and me too.

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Don Leydens

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 6:33am

All great stories. Thanks!

Hey Leo, I better check my shop and see if my lathe is missing (LOL). I'll bet you love yours as much as I do mine!
Don L.

IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #7 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 7:07am

I hope I can find this thread in 10 or 12 years time when I might make my first sale.

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Leydens

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 12:19pm

Brendan McAreavy wrote on Sep 2nd, 2009 at 7:07am:
I hope I can find this thread in 10 or 12 years time when I might make my first sale. 

Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #9 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 5:39pm

tHE LAST ONE!  smiley=lolk.gif

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Ken Ward
WR Noob

I Love WR

Reply #10 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 10:49pm

Very good Mike (or is it Wizzy, still trying to get the lingo down).
THERE THE SAME TWIT  Smiley Smiley
Sold so much junk over the yrs can't pick one out,just can't remember any special one Smiley

Flintstone needle,OUCH,all kiddin aside,I admire your for the way your handling this.Seems like a little something good is happening for you  Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2009 at 10:51pm by Ken Ward »  

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #11 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 2:45am

Ken Ward wrote on Sep 2nd, 2009 at 10:49pm:
Flintstones needle,OUCH,all kiddin aside,I admire you for the way your handling this.Seems like a little something good is happening for you  Smiley

What did he say... or what did he mean to say... NUN of it made any sense to me... and you can call me Wizzy if it makes ya happy, I've been called worse ya know... hehehe

Wizzy

IP Logged

Don Leydens

WR Rocks!

Reply #12 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 6:48am

Hi Wizzy! Ken was referring to the first post I made on this thread. When I said "Fred Flintstone needle", I just meant a really LARGE needle. Thanks for getting back to me about the pens also.
Don L.

IP Logged

Don Leydens

WR Rocks!

Reply #13 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 7:00am

Thanks Ken! You're right, something VERY good is coming out of all this. Ever since the first craft show a couple weeks ago, all heck is breaking loose. Lots of word of mouth sales are still going on, one gallery already has 20 of my pieces and another VERY high end gallery is also interested (I'm having another meeting with them today).
After loosing my business because of the economy and finding out about the cancer in the same week, I knew something good had to come out of all that. Looks like it is. I'm certainly enjoying the ride so far!!!
Thanks again for the kind comments,Don L.

IP Logged

George Carrigan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 9:54am

A few years ago an elderly man stopped by my booth and was admiring a NIP bowl. His daughter offered to buy it for his birthday and they left with the bowl. This year she stopped by my booth to tell me her father had passed away and let me know how much joy he got from being the proud owner of my bowl. It's now known in their family as grampas bowl and sits proudly on her shelf. George

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print