andylasslett

I LOVE WR!!!

Gillette, Wyoming, USA
Gillette
Wyoming
USA

Etsy
Dec 31st, 2009 at 12:48am

hey fellas, needing your opinion on something my mother has been bugging me about. My mother has told me i should selling my stuff she has been to quite a few craft fairs and said my stuff is better then the stuff she saw there. I never heard of it but im sure you have, Etsy. I checked it out and it doesnt look bad im assuming its like ebay only for strictley hand made items. Some of the sites i looked at had some pretty nice stuff for sale and they werent dirt cheap just to sell them. ive never set up a web site im sure i could figure it out but just never had the reason to need one. Just looking for some feedback i havent heard anything about it one way or the other. Hoping someone here uses it or knows of someone who does. Im pretty new to turning even though Im proud of what ive accomplished in just a few months im still a ways off from selling stuff like i see here in the gallery or on other websites, But i definetly wouldnt mind making a couple bucks from it someday. Thanks in advance on your thoughts on this......Andy

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Re: Etsy
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2009 at 6:52am

I sell on Etsy, it is cheap for listing .20 for 3 months and their commissions are not too high either. But, more importantly they are getting a name and people are going there specifically to look for things. If you try it the biggy is in the section where you list tags, list all you can think of directly related to your item.
In the last 6+months etsy has probably accounted for 75% of my sales. Which is way up, I don't know if it is the economy thing or if the site is just getting that much more popular.
But, definately worth a try.
Brad

IP Logged

Lark Leazar
WR Addict

Hook 'Em!

Conroe, Texas, USA
Conroe
Texas
USA

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2010 at 7:40am

Interesting site. 

Unbelievable, there are over 1700 wooden bowls on this site. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Over 2000 pens  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The prices are all over the place. 
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2010 at 7:47am by Lark Leazar »  

Delta Midi 46-460

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2010 at 9:35am

Lark Leazar wrote on Jan 1st, 2010 at 7:40am:
The prices are all over the place.

So is the quality.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2010 at 3:51pm

Just checked and I have had over 400 sales from etsy in the last year. I think it is worth it. Also, you don't get the deal/flee market shoppers you get on ebay.
A few months ago Nancy talked me into listing something on ebay and it sold for less then 1/2 what an identical one sold for on etsy the same day.
Brad

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2010 at 6:04pm

That's a nice sales record Brad,
What is your average selling price?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2010 at 7:44pm

My sales average per item is about $22, sales have been averaging about $56 each. So, not doing too bad on etsy.
Brad

IP Logged

andylasslett

I LOVE WR!!!

Gillette, Wyoming, USA
Gillette
Wyoming
USA

Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2010 at 11:39pm

brad thanks for the info , how much time do you spend maintaining your etsy stuff it doesnt look like it would take much but i work quite a few hours when work is good so i dont have alot of time. my computer skills are average and i have a descent digital camera im pretty new to turning but if i take my time i can produce some pretty descent  stuff stuff i wouldnt be afraid to sell. I guess im just looking for some specifics on how it all works before i jump in if ya know what ii mean. 

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jan 3rd, 2010 at 12:44am

It is very easy, you need an email address and a credit or debit card to register. You can run as many etsy stores as you want off 1 cc but you do need a different email for each one. At one point we had 4 of them. I mention this because sales did pick up when we started seperating products to target markets.
It takes just a few min. to list each item and then they are good for 3 months or until they sell. It doesn't get much easier. You list the price you want and can put up to 5 photos on.
It really doesn't take much time
Brad

IP Logged

Dale Gillaspy
WR Addict

Turning Designer Firewood

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #9 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 12:26am

I also sell on Etsy, and although I haven't had quite the success Brad has, I have had a modicum of success, and I think it is worth it. I agree, it is very easy to use. The trick is so use th tags, adn then to everything you can to drive people to your site. There are also a lot of blogs and help pages filled sith marketing suggestions. Hint...picture quality is of the utmost importance. You can't effectively explain away a bad picture when you are trying to sell.

WWW Dale Gillaspy gd5043  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print