Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Finally Building a Shop! (Read 25,675 times)

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Re: Finally Building a Shop!
Reply #15 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 5:57am

We definitely want pics as you do stuff. so we can drool over them.  Embarrassed

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island, South Carolina, USA
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #16 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 12:25pm

Chuck Beland wrote on Mar 4th, 2012 at 5:57am:
We definitely want pics as you do stuff. so we can drool over them.  Embarrassed

I plan on keeping a photo record of things as they progress.  It's so slow getting started, though.  If all goes well, I'll have the slab poured next week.  If not it'll have to wait until after I get back from the John Campbell class I'm taking the following week.  MY goal is to have it completed, or at least useable, by my birthday in early April.

I've fallen into the vortex and been nicknamed "Wood Doctor" by a Mississippian!  Life is good!
Richard Bachman eversdorf  
IP Logged

Gary R Webb

WR Rocks!

Peoria AZ, Arizona, USA
Peoria AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #17 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 1:52pm

the grizzly shop planer is great it's on there home page left side just above the request for there catalog fun to play with you can move things around till you happy then print it  smiley=thumbsup.gif   
                                  Spider

The wife said I never listen  at least thats what i think she said

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #18 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 5:14pm

Just went out today to buy the pipe and fittings for running air compressor lines.  After much thought, (and running some calc.s) I decided to go with 1/2 inch copper pipe/tubing looped around the shop with drops where I need them.  I'll tee into the loop with a 3/4" line from the compressor tank.

Copper has gotten stupid expensive, but it's a lot easier to install than black pipe and I already have all the tools I need for copper.  With black pipe I'd need cutters, threaders, etc..  Also, I won't have to worry with rust/scale with the copper and it's a lot easier to modify if I want to add on or change things later. 

I've fallen into the vortex and been nicknamed "Wood Doctor" by a Mississippian!  Life is good!
IP Logged

Edward Fagnant

WR Rocks!

In transition, Rhode Island, USA
In transition
Rhode Island
USA

Reply #19 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 5:28pm

Dont forget to add water drains on drops as well. Condensation build up in the lines can ruin even the best cared for and lubricated tools.
If you are going to be doing any airbrushing or spray painting it will play havoc with oil based coatings as well.

Wish I had found this place a long time ago!

IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #20 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 7:22pm

Thanks, Edward!  smiley=thumbsup.gifAlong with a separator on the main supply out of the tank and a blowdown on the tank, I plan to have a slope back to the tank and drip legs with drains.  It's probably a bit of overkill, but you only get one chance to do it right the first time. smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #21 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 10:14pm

Richard I some how missed this, what a great shop you are going to have. I agree with the 36" main entry door it won't cost but a fraction more. but will be a great blessing later. I also agree with the roll up door instead of the double doors, but of course either will serve you well. They even make insulated roll up doors that have two layers of metal filled with insulation foam. I am with you on the lighting, you can't ever get enought light. Having a painted white ceiling will help to reflect your lighting. What ever amount of light you are planning add more than you think you will need. I keep adding more 8' twin florescent lights. I still need more. Where ever you plan on putting your lathe be sure your lighting is in the best position to illuminate your work area. The Lord will bless you my friend. One more idea I used is if you know where equipment will sit and it requires electricity, and will be in the center of your shop you can sink some PVC pipe in your slab while pouring the concrete using curved elbows not right angle ones, then you can pull wire after the slab is finished and have an electrical outlet right beneath your equipment. Good Luck Brother
Breck

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Richard Beversdorf

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #22 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 1:18pm

Well, the guys showed up today to start the new pad and get that going.  We decided to add 6 feet to each end and close it in.  This brings the shop to 16'x36'.  In real use, it's closer to 15 feet by about 32 feet after allowances for walls and an entry way, etc.  I'm excited to finally see this thing coming to real!

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #23 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 1:55pm

Ok... Smiley so where are the NEW pictures? You know add on's and such... Grin
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2012 at 1:56pm by Mike Baber »  

Wizzy

IP Logged

Dirk Hoogendoorn
WR Addict

either a mistake or design
opportunity

Meaford Ont., Ontario, Canada
Meaford Ont.
Ontario
Canada

Reply #24 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 5:56pm

Hi Richard, When you invited all these experts to give their advice on how they would enhance what you already had, I noticed you did not put a price in what you would charge for that. As a result you got a lot of free advice, but not so to you cause as long as they don't have to contribute financially to your project they will help you get in the financial hole with all that "free" advice(one addict helping an other). These guys are helpful aren't they. smiley=thumbsup.gif Some great ideas and you know what? after you get it all set up you are going to find that something does not fit in the way you thought it might and you will have to change it.

Good luck on the build and keep us up to date with a picture here and there.
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2012 at 5:58pm by Dirk Hoogendoorn »  

I may be shiny, but not brand new

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #25 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 6:19pm

Dirk,
Just a friendly push down to the abyss.  Grin

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Richard Beversdorf

WR Rocks!

Pawleys Island
South Carolina
USA

Reply #26 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 8:02pm

Yup, I'm in the vortex and falling down into the abyss!  LOL smiley=lolk.gif

The latest "change" is that I may add a sink.  Also, the contractor said he can run the compressed air lines with plex for a lot less than I paid for the copper.  smiley=thumbsup.gif So the copper is headed back to Home Depot tomorrow.  Not that this is gonna' save me any money bang head.  I've already allocated the savings to the good folks over at Easy Wood Tools.  LOL!! Grin

Thankfully my wonderful wife is very supportive and encouraging with this endeavor.  smilies=bowdown

IP Logged

Edward Fagnant

WR Rocks!

In transition, Rhode Island, USA
In transition
Rhode Island
USA

Reply #27 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 8:29pm

Good call on the pex, Just had the thought pop in my head,"Why didnt I think of that!"  smiley=doh.gif

Wish I had found this place a long time ago!

IP Logged

Michael DeWald

What?

western NY, New York, USA
western NY
New York
USA

Reply #28 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 11:26pm

I was wondering why you didn't consider some kind of plastic with the cost of copper. I guess you did! I thought I had seem some shops with conventional cpvc plumbing being used for air, but wasn't sure. I probably would have tried it, just 'cause I'm like that.

"We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem." Douglas Adams

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #29 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 11:47pm

Pex crossed my mind, but so did pvc but you said you already got the copper. Depending on what size you run can and will make a difference on your PSI depending on how you come off your compressor. 3/4" x 10' PVC schedule 40 plain end pipe is about $2 a stick, @ 10 sticks that's $20 buck for 100' as to where a 100' of 3/4" Pex is $71.00 both from Home Depot. Your going to be cutting it anyway to insert your "T" for your drops, just add your drops every 10', so why not use PVC which is cheaper and so are their fittings... and it will do the same job. CPVC is only $53 bucks for the same amount and size tubing.

Wizzy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Send Topic Print