I am a part of all that
I have met.

Lawton, Oklahoma, Oklahoma, USA
Lawton, Oklahoma
Oklahoma
USA

Bone to pick!
Mar 9th, 2012 at 11:05pm

Recently I posted a question in another forum. Someone else pasted my question in their response before their answer. However, in that pasting the "(edited out)" in my last name was edited out. The first Hunsucker's in this country arrived and settled in Jamestown from the Alsace Loraine area of Germany. It is not a "dirty" name.  Angry

Papajack
http://www.facebook.com/papajack70?ref=profile  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Re: Bone to pick!
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 11:41pm

Sorry Jack, but the programming just does that.  Not sure there is anything we can do about it.  Just one of the oddities we live with trying to keep WR a family friendly site.  Nothing aimed at you I assure you.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Jack Hunsucker

I am a part of all that
I have met.

Lawton, Oklahoma
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 11:53pm

I didn't think it was intentional; so, I'll just relax and (edited out) on an "all day (edited out)". Cheesy

Papajack
IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2012 at 6:00am

Get the really big ones with the swirls & different coilors. They're great. They let me have one when they let me out of my rubber room.   Cheesy   Smiley

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Eric Geist

Here's my wallet- show
me the wood

Loveland, Colorado, USA
Loveland
Colorado
USA

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2012 at 2:23pm

I'm wondering if there is a setting in the programming so that particular word can be removed from the list of banned words. That is one that has several benign meanings, and when describing a process,it is often the only correct word to use. It can be very confusing, and more than just a little annoying to be reading a process, and see (edited out) rather than the the correct word. Generally, it can be surmised what word was supposed to be in that spot, but it really messes with the flow of what you are reading, and can lead to misunderstanding, and mistakes. I understand the desire to be family friendly, but if a youngster is reading a post, trying to learn something, and sees (edited out) he/she will automatically think that a vulgarity was used whether it is seen or not... which of course we all know it was not. A word is nothing more than a combination of symbols until it is put into context, and that is where it gains its meaning. The word in question here is one that can only be considered vulgar in a very specific context, and is a necessary word in all other contexts.

Loveland, CO

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2012 at 10:23pm

The word was added to the list due to excessive use expressing great jealousy.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Michael DeWald

What?

western NY, New York, USA
western NY
New York
USA

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 4:38am

A fellow Alsatian. Seems the area was fought over so much that everyone moved out eventually. Or it least it seems that way. Unfortunately, the dialects spoken and written there are rapidly fading out of existence, making genealogy projects just about impossible. (sorry for the off topic hijack.)

"We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem." Douglas Adams

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 9:46am

Jack Hunsucker wrote on Mar 9th, 2012 at 11:05pm:
Recently I posted a question in another forum. Someone else pasted my question in their response before their answer. However, in that pasting the "(edited out)" in my last name was edited out. The first Hunsucker's in this country arrived and settled in Jamestown from the Alsace Loraine area of Germany. It is not a "dirty" name.  Angry

Jack, I was able to change the code to display your name correctly. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Eric Geist wrote on Mar 10th, 2012 at 2:23pm:
I'm wondering if there is a setting in the programming so that particular word can be removed from the list of banned words. 

Eric, the problem is not so much the forum software, but the accepted use of some words that have multiple meanings.

Before I changed the censors we tried to revise members use of the term in question, sadly to no avail.

Even after multiple warnings this word was continued to be used in an inappropriate way. Other members were loudly complaining they didn't like this seeing word as some where using it.

It got to the point that this word was used by a few members in almost every thread. It was ridiculous while they thought it was comic relief.

If I remove the filters, the negative use of this word will show up in all those threads, something I am not willing to accept. Sadly, we lost the use of a term that can make its proper use more clear when trying to convey a message.
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2012 at 9:50am by Ron Sardo »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Eric Geist

Here's my wallet- show
me the wood

Loveland, Colorado, USA
Loveland
Colorado
USA

Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 1:33pm

Ah yeah, I do remember it being used often in threads for gloats etc... I stopped seeing it, and while I didnt pay much attention, I thought it was a result of better self-policing... guess not. It's a shame,but I also understand that there is very little way for software to edit a word based solely on context.

Loveland, CO

IP Logged

Jack Hunsucker

I am a part of all that
I have met.

Lawton, Oklahoma
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #9 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 5:16am

Didn't mean to start a firestorm. Lines in the sand are necessary. As Robert Frost said, good fences make good neighbors. However whenever you draw that line, there are always exceptions trapped on either side. I like to think that I'm exceptional; thanks for the reinforcement.  Wink

Papajack
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #10 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 8:34am

No problem Jack.

As Clem Kadiddlehopper once said, there is an exception to every rule.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print