Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
When is a smaller/lighter tool better? (Read 884 times)

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

When is a smaller/lighter tool better?
Jan 29th, 2013 at 8:59pm

Always thought that, like scrapers, a heavier tool would cut more cleanly due to less vibration.  But often I see suggestion to drop down, say from 1/2" tro 3/8" bowl gouge, for smoothest final light cut.  And today turning a very thin spindle I was getting much better results with 1/2" than 1" skew.  Will a smaller gouge and skew always give a smoother cut?

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Re: When is a smaller/lighter tool better?
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2013 at 9:32pm

Don I can't give you a diffinitive answer that is all inclusive but I have found that for delicate cuts I always reach for the smaller gouge, they give me more control therefore a better cut. I am sure there are some turners that could produce a smooth cut with a shovel sized tool. Just not me!

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2013 at 10:52pm

I'm with Breck on this one.  Seems to me that the lighter the tool the more control you have with it.  Yes you can make smooth finish cuts with a well sharpened big tool.  But for detail, the smaller, lighter tool will allow you to really get in there to make those sharp transitions as well as those light, whispy cuts.
Cool

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Addict

Wombats rule!

The Adirondacks, New York, USA
The Adirondacks
New York
USA

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 12:01am

One of the advantages of smaller tools for smaller turnings is there is less danger of  the tool "encountering" a feature of your spindle you didn't intend it to.  I turn things that are mostly small spindles, and the only tool I own that's over 1/2" is my 3/4" roughing gouge.

Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 12:12am

Well, for me control is not in the tool, it is how you present it to the wood, and how you control/move with the tool as you cut. Smaller just means being able to get into smaller places. More pointy is pretty much the same thing. I do prefer bigger tools and handles as they fit into my hands better than tiny ones.

robo hippy
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2013 at 12:13am by robo_hippy »  
IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Addict

Wombats rule!

The Adirondacks, New York, USA
The Adirondacks
New York
USA

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 12:46am

robo_hippy wrote on Jan 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
...I do prefer bigger tools and handles as they fit into my hands better than tiny ones.

robo hippy

And I have the reverse situation. (Have you ever tried to find gloves in men's size small?)  I like to make my own handles for the small tools because I can make them smaller than the common commercial handles.

Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

IP Logged

Brendan Stemp
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

McKenzie Creek, Victoria, Australia
McKenzie Creek
Victoria
Australia

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 6:53am

I agree with robo hippy and would add a couple of things.  A good finish off the tool is also to do with how sharp the tool is not the size of the tool.  Also, bigger tools mean bigger bevels and these can inhibit tool movement.  For example, if you have a 1/2" bowl gouge to do the inside of a small bowl you will have a large flat surface (the bevel) trying to conform to a tight curved surface.  And this doesn't work very well.  You will end up with a 'ridgey' surface.  The same goes for any other tool you use.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 9:36am

There's a reason why I have 7 skews ranging from 1/4" to 1-1/2"

I wouldn't round over a big spindle with a 1/4" skew, I would grab a 1-1/2" skew and the task would be completed in no time. The reverse is true too, if I was turning a thin delicate finial I would not use my big skews. Can I round over a big spindle with a tiny skew? Can I make a delicate finial with a big skew? Sure, but why should I?

The same is true with gouges, the bigger the piece the bigger the tool.  I would also add that my tools have different grinds so I can hog out material quickly or make a smoother cut.

I guess the bottom line is this: the tool I would use would depend what I was turning, its size and the result I am expecting.

The control is not in the tool but how you control the tool.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Walt Nollan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 10:12am

I have a favorite 3/8 spindle gouge with a finger nail grind that I love.  Its  my go to tool for just about anything.

IP Logged

Robert Harper
WR Addict

WR doesn't rock, it RULES!

Salt Lake City, UT, Utah, USA
Salt Lake City, UT
Utah
USA

Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 11:13am

For me, I prefer heavier and larger handles, just because they are easier on my hands. Arthritis makes it hard to hold those thin handles.

As for small tools, I think they do better at smaller items. Like others have said, smaller tools allow a finer detail. You can't grab huge chunks of wood because the tool just can't grab that much.

I'm with robo in that control comes from tool shape and presentation more than size.

My recommendation is to try a lot of different sizes and shapes, best if you can borrow until you settle, then settle for the tool you prefer. I don't see a reason why I should turn with the same tools as someone else prefers but it is important to learn to turn well with the tools I do have.

Live long, love life, and sail fast. Oh and turn fast too.
WWW Robert Harper rharper@xmission.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print