Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Prices of turnings and todays economy (Read 3,530 times)

Harold Goodman

Turn To Live. Live to
Turn

Maryland, Maryland, USA
Maryland
Maryland
USA

Prices of turnings and todays economy
Jun 9th, 2013 at 9:47am

Did a show today.  There were four other turners there.  Everyone had great work. I had my bolt action pens made with black ash burl for $25.00 and the highest priced guy was $35.00 for bolt actions.  My slimlines and saturns were $18 & $20 all figured wood.  We were all within a few dollars of each other except 1 guy who was on an average $10 higher than the rest of us. At the end of the day we all got together to see who sold what.  1 $20 dollar pen sold, one set of salt & pepper shakers at $45 and a 6" bowl at $30 We were all surprised that people were at an arts & crafts show but buying like it was flea market offering us substantially less than the price we had marked on the item.  One of the vendors did lower his price to the offered price. I would just ask the customer If when they went to work on Monday and there boss asked them to take $5.00 less an hour for a month would they do it.  I sold no turnings at the show but I took a collection of our Carved Santas and even though its not the Christmas season I sold $300.00 worth of Santas. 
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2013 at 9:49am by Harold Goodman »  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Walt Nollan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Re: Prices of turnings and todays economy
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 9:57am

I have had similar luck at a few shows only I didn't have any Santa's.  You never know what will and at what price will sell.  Anybody have a Chrystal ball?

IP Logged

Kevin Gade

WR Rocks!

N.E. Iowa, Iowa, USA
N.E. Iowa
Iowa
USA

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 11:25am

I do do OK at weekend Art Shows.  I generally sell between $200 to $400 worth.  I do more than just turnings, small flat work boxes seem to be the best sellers for me. I had some nice 2 1/2" dia. 3" tall turned boxes out of curly maple with inlay on the lid. Marked at $35, didn't sell a one of them. Right now I only have doing about 3 a year.
I took some of my bowls to a Flower-Home Decor store last fall to see if I could get them to buy my bowls at a cut price on my end so they could mark them up to meet their pricing. I was  told they could buy from China for $5 each and make a better profit margin.  The only thing I could offer was that it was made locally with local woods.  That wasn't enough. 
I think here in the mid-west buyers are more conservative than they are on the east and west coast.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 8:01pm

Decided not to do shows last fall after, at a JURIED show, saw a fellow selling a 7" high gloss bowl for $8.  I just don't think shoppers expect to get quality at even "art" shows unless the show is very exclusive, which I equate to high entry fee ($200 minimum).  But of course there's not promise of making even one sale at a high entry fee show.

I understand the joy of selling made items and that many turners do not have to make a livable wage from bowls and such.  But pricing things much below a livable wage cheapens our work, and tells the public to expect to pay less than an item is worth.  Just my two cents.

IP Logged

Carrie Bradfield

WR Rocks!

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
St. Louis
Missouri
USA

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 10:15am

Oh man, you guys are really making me nervous about doing a show.  I would be crushed if we didn't have several hundred dollars in sales because the booth fee alone is $125. 

I can only hope there's a better market for small turned boxes here than Kevin has found.  They're one of my favorite things to make.

IP Logged

Larry Matchett
WR Addict

Be One with your Tool!

Gulf Coast, Mississippi, Mississippi, USA
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Mississippi
USA

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 1:31pm

The operative word here is CRAFT.  If the show is a craft show expect craft show prices, in other words buyers are looking for inexpensive craft items.  If you want to sell art items then get your stuff in ART galleries.  I learned that when I was doing ceramic art.  Coffee cups bowls etc were not worth my time.  Art pieces that I sold in places like the Garth Clark galleries sold for enough that I actually made a profit.  The only problem with selling art is you usually don't get the big bucks until you die.  Rudy Audio once told me he sold a piece for $10,000.  He could hardly believe he got dead mans prices for a piece.  He was in his 60,s at that point and was a world class ceramicist.   I don't mean to discourage you but if you go to the World of Woodturners site you will see works that are gallery quality especially he cover photos.  On this site some of Vinny Lucianis stuff fits gallery quality.  There are others also his just comes to mind.

IP Logged

Tommy Ellis

Maybe I should have thought
this through.

Unionville, Tennessee, USA
Unionville
Tennessee
USA

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 2:11pm

I was told by my old art teacher to figure out what I wanted and then double it and they would pay it. He has been pretty well right for that last 40 years.

When some asks me to lower my price at a show I tell them all prices are negotiable.....upwards, that if I wanted less I would have marked it less.  Grin

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Jet 1642EVS
Reply #7 - Jun 12th, 2013 at 12:37pm

At a recent 2 day art show I had almost $800 in sales. I had 6 bird house ornaments and they all sold the first day (they sold out last year too - note to self make MORE!)  All but one natural edge bowls sold (one customer didn't even look at the price - note self Make more!)  Sold one bottle stopper (don't need to make any more).   

Had two bozos say if they bought more than one piece would I give them a deal.  My reply "Well you know my prices are lower than what you'll find at a lot of art shows and I'm including sales tax in the price so you're really getting an almost 9% discount as it is."

A friend of mine who manages a gallery said pricing is the hardest part of being an artist.  If you price too low then they don't see a quality and if too high it's not for their collection.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Brad Latham

WR Rocks!

Kaoota, Tasmania, Australia
Kaoota
Tasmania
Australia

Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 9:52pm

I don't do shows. There is nothing more demoralizing than sitting at a show all day and selling nothing. If you have paid for the site that just makes it worse.
At a large local market here there is a woodcraft stall that seems to do pretty well. The stall owners do not make the work though, rather they sell it for numerous woodworkers (probably on a consignment basis) and although the quality of the work is reasonably good,they do have a wide variety of work and it is aimed at the crafty flea market souvineer buyers.
Along the edge of the market are galleries where the expensive more arty work can be found.
To make a living from selling at a market would be not impossible but hard. On the other hand its pretty hard to make a living selling through a gallery as well unless you sell through several galleries. Having a bread and butter item (a proven seller) especially if no one else makes it can be a great help too.
Getting to the point where you earn your living from your work is probably the hardest part. Sometimes I guess you have to sit through those "sale less" days at the market to get you thinking of other ways to sell your stuff.

IP Logged

Nigel Thomas

WR Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 11:53am

Brad hits the nail on the head! "bread and butter" items! Get proficient in one thing that you know sells and put your own unique 'twist' on it...

I sold this morning through a new 'outlet' and, if I could sell like that every day I would definitely give up my day job! The 'outlet' is a test venture for me and it proved very profitable. Now I need to hit the other 'outlets' and, fingers crossed, will move a step closer to being a 'professional'(???) wood turner!  smiley=thumbsup.gif

Right now, my concern is that I need to source some more olive wood and spend the coming days making more stock!

IP Logged

george edley

seaside, oregon, Oregon, USA
seaside, oregon
Oregon
USA

Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 3:30pm

unfortunately, things come up that just doesn't let things work out........ for example, we had a bit of a medical problem here, so the cash i had for tools, wood, etc. had to go to medical bills.... if i still had that cash, i would be making an order for decent bottle stopper blanks and hardware. i have a place here that would buy them by the 100's if i had them available. they DO NOT want the cheep-o silicon or cork types, so that's out. so that's a HUGE lost opportunity for me....at least for now.

i'm also near oregon's wine country, and i know quite a few of the vineyard owners from when i was younger and we where still working the family farm. so that's another outlet.

my rambling point is along the same line as the bread&butter concept: find a niche market if you can and supply as many places as you can keep up with. seek out places to sell to. sometimes you have to show them what they didn't know they wanted to sell....

sometimes you just gotta think a tiny bit out of the box: i have a couple places that will buy quite a few urns if i made them. i took a sample piece in just to show them, and they bought it right then and there! it was a smaller sized urn....perfect for say....a cat or small dog. it was a veterinary office. dedicated pet owners pay BIG $$$$ to "send off" their pets!

IP Logged

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Reply #11 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 5:22pm

There is a guy that makes tap handles for micro brews.
Contract work for custom builders can pay...mostly spindle work. Restoration of antiques. Once you get a name, lessons can be lucrative.
Making a living can be done, but you have to hustle.

IP Logged

ddt frederick holsclaw
WR Addict

beam me up scotty

earth i think (aka lathekiller, South Carolina, USA
earth i think (aka lathekiller
South Carolina
USA

Reply #12 - Jun 22nd, 2013 at 2:51am

when i sell my work i put the price on it  and it is fair for what i do. if they want it cheeper i tell them how far wal mart is  and leave it at that
i have also asked them if the want the lower price  and they say yes  i give then a small pice of wood and some sand papr and say have fun
my price is my price that is all  dont like it dont buy it

just making toothpicks

IP Logged

Mike Skalberg
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Flower Mound, Texas, USA
Flower Mound
Texas
USA

Reply #13 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 3:38am

I'm new here to the board, but we don't do arts and crafts shows either, simply for the fact of the people who want quality hand made merchandise at rock bottom prices.  We do set up at festivals where there will be alot of art dealers and artisans selling their product. This is where we have done very well, with booth fee's of a few hundred dollars and sales of few thousand in just a few days. but our product is also pricey, mugs and cups from $20 to $100.

mike

enthusiasm by insanity

IP Logged

Robert Tewart

God Bless our Armed Forces!

Ligonier, Pennsylvania, USA
Ligonier
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #14 - Aug 26th, 2013 at 7:18am

We just did real well at a wine and food festival.  sold several pens, small bowls and stoppers.  But my best sellers were simple flat working business card holders made from material out of the scrap box.

Bob Tewart

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print