Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help: Safety Minute at Monthly Meeting (Read 19,087 times)

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

The Villages, Florida, USA
The Villages
Florida
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V, now with Stainless Ways
Help: Safety Minute at Monthly Meeting
Dec 6th, 2013 at 1:03pm

I have “volunteered” (appointed yesterday) to have the safety minute at our monthly woodturning meeting tomorrow Shocked

I have pieced together the info below for that meeting from this site and the AAW forum.  Any good short topics you could add would be appreciated:

Use ESCAPE injury as your guide.

Equipment - learn the tool your using, off/on, where to stand and etc.
Surroundings - clean, organized, where things are, main shutoffs (breaker box) and etc.
Clothing - appropriate dress, shoes, hair ties and etc.
Ability - understand your level, limitations, think before you act and etc.
Protection - faceshield, safety glasses, gloves and etc. (these may change per job being done but use what is necessary for the job)
Example - be a leader and do the other five in your shop, demonstrating or teaching

A recent posting on a web site noted “of my turning friends having hospital visits” yeilding this result:

4   have been hurt on the bandsaw
2   by wood coming off the lathe
1   by wood breaking apart. Would have been insignificant if they had used a face shield
1   on the grinder
1   with a hand chisel
1   with a hand drill
0   with a chain saw!  People don't day dream when chain sawing.....
It’s the routine things that seem to get us in trouble.  Try to keep your mind in the present – like when you are driving home.

Finally, potential energy:  We recognize the kinetic energy of spinning wood, or the potential energy of heavy things stored on high shelves, but also remember energy less obvious like air compressors or chemical energy (the heat given off when CA glue sets up).

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Help: Safety Minute at Monthly Meeting
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2013 at 1:45pm

I think it's a good safety foundation. A few things you may way to add (in your own words of course).
No turning or any woodworking when tired, distracted, in a hurry, etc, etc...
If it doesn't "feel" correct, it most likely isn't. This goes with, It's okay to stop the lathe and check your progress, especially working with suspect wood.
Let someone know, Hey I'll be in the shop for an hour pr two, that way if they don't hear from you they will come and check.
Have others flick the lights off and on to get your attention when working. There's nothing worse and potentially dangerous than being startled when you are engrossed in your work.
Personally, I think the first item is the most important.
Tom Coghill wrote on Dec 6th, 2013 at 1:03pm:
Equipment - learn the tool your using

Knowing your tools, all of them, powered or hand, understanding their capabilities and their limitations is the best way I know of keeping yourself safe, and can not be emphasized enough.
This also applies to your final statement.
Too many times we hear stories where folks didn't have a good enough understanding of all of the variable involved in the procedure they are doing and this causes an accident.
Great point about the CA glue, you could do another whole safety minute on chemicals alone.

IP Logged

Kathy Jekel
WR Addict

Life... time and space,
it's up to you to fill
it!

Chandler, Oklahoma, USA
Chandler
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2013 at 1:56pm

"Stay out of the line of fire"....

Kathy Jekel
IP Logged

John_Voloudakis

Boston South Shore, Massachusetts, USA
Boston South Shore
Massachusetts
USA

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2013 at 2:31pm

Looks good.  A couple of additions...

1)  Fire safety.  Have fire extinguishers in place and accessible.  Don't overload circuits.  Proper storage of finishing materials and proper disposal of potentially flammable finishing rags. 

2) Dust.  Talk about the need to wear a decent dust mask, dust collection, etc. 

3)  Have a telephone close at hand.  In case something goes wrong, make sure you have a cell phone with you.  If my battery is below 25% I won't go into my shop.  That way, I can call for help if something goes wrong. 

-John

IP Logged

Guy Bratt
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Richmond, Michigan, USA
Richmond
Michigan
USA

Robust American Beauty
Rikon 70-100
Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2013 at 4:20pm

Sounds like the acronym ESCAPE can be broken down after your initial presentation to a monthly safety reminder ie. Jan. is E, Feb. is S and so on and soforth and what have you.   Also adding to fire safety, this being the heating season for so many of us.  What heating systems are being used also concideration again to flamable vapors near the heating system.

Old, Fat,n Ugly...I shed 100 pounds this year.  Still old.  Still ugly. But what can you do at this age?
You know? If you knew me you'd see my avatar and I really look a lot alike.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2013 at 7:11pm

Ed Weber wrote on Dec 6th, 2013 at 1:45pm:
No turning or any woodworking when tired, distracted, in a hurry, etc, etc...

Or after ANY alcohol!

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Larry Matchett
WR Addict

Be One with your Tool!

Gulf Coast, Mississippi, Mississippi, USA
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Mississippi
USA

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2013 at 7:50pm

Clean your shop.  There is a reason pro shops cleanup at the end of the day.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2013 at 12:05pm

I have thought a number of times about a collection for display that shows dangerous pieces of wood. I have been traveling with a 1 inch thick end cut slab from a sugar maple. It had a nice brown ring about an inch in from the outside of the tree. It was solid when cut green. As it dried, it did what I expected. It was ring shake, and it separated around half of the piece. Some would look at it and think 'design feature' while I looked at it and thought 'danger'. Another would be a bark inclusion that goes through a crotch piece.

Ian 'Robbo' Robertson in Australia has several nice clips up on You Tube about general safety. Excellent for those with less experience, in the intermediate and beginner range. Many are familiar with his clip on what can go wrong when you use a spindle roughing gouge on a bowl blank. He actually draws some blood. I think he has a clip or two up in the video section here.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2013 at 6:19pm

Tom,
Tried to post this morning but I must have done something wrong, for I was "suspended" from the site after I PM'd you.  I guess I have paid my time for I am once again an official member.
Any, my safety comment had to do with ear protection.  I wear ear muffs when I'm at the bandsaw, chainsawing and when I have my dust collection system on.  As we get older, of course I'm not talking about myself Shocked, our hearing naturally begins to fade.  No need to accelerate the process.
Hope it went well,
Steve

IP Logged

Bill Turpin

I could be Bill Grumbine's
twin

WNC, North Carolina, USA
WNC
North Carolina
USA

Reply #9 - Jan 4th, 2014 at 12:39pm

Never make tool sharpening the last thing you do before leaving your shop. Always stay around at least fifteen minutes so that  sparks can make visible SMOKE!

Absolute rule: Leave the shop after you make the FIRST mistake! Don't wait until the ambulance is called before you admit your too tired. : (

Attempting to let God's beauty out of logs!

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #10 - Jan 4th, 2014 at 12:43pm

On that note, do not have your dust collector pulling from the area around your sharpener.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

The Villages
Florida
USA

Reply #11 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 11:40am

I did a demo this weekend at our monthly meeting.  In that demo I charred some wood using a weedburner inside the wood framed, non-sprinklered , non-fire detected, wood storage warehouse.  I did this ON the lathe, surrounded by shavings.  All-in-all not an ideal situation Shocked

I knew this going into the demo and BEFORE I STARED I distributed 3 fire exinguishers to the people in the front row.

Nothing bad happened Smiley, but planning for the worst is the best prevention of bad results.

Think "Whats the worst that could happen here?" and take steps to prevent those things from happeneing. Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2014 at 2:12pm by Tom Coghill »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Heat_Treatment.JPG (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Robert Harper
WR Addict

WR doesn't rock, it RULES!

Salt Lake City, UT, Utah, USA
Salt Lake City, UT
Utah
USA

Reply #12 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 2:49pm

I joke at work, but I'm dead serious, that you are most dangerous when you think you know what you're doing. When you aren't sure, you tend to take more time and make sure everything is correct before you complete what you were doing. When you "think" you know what you're doing, you take short cuts and often do things that if you'd taken just a few seconds to think about them, would never have done.

My $0.02

Live long, love life, and sail fast. Oh and turn fast too.
WWW Robert Harper rharper@xmission.com  
IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Addict

Wombats rule!

The Adirondacks, New York, USA
The Adirondacks
New York
USA

Reply #13 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 6:43pm

Robert Harper wrote on Jan 7th, 2014 at 2:49pm:
... do things that if you'd taken just a few seconds to think about them, would never have done....

That very similar to what I tell the guys who work for me (in a not-physically-dangerous environment).  "There is no emergency so dire that you cannot take a minute to THINK about what you are about to do."  Then I follow up with the story about the computer operator who entered one command wrong and cost the company $70 million.  That was not a good day for me or him.

Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

The Villages
Florida
USA

Reply #14 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 3:34pm

Safety oops from the Shop.

I was working on a jig last Saturday evening.  This jig would allow me to use a hole saw on the edge of a turning when the center of the hole was outside the turning (like taking a small bite out of a large cookie).  These specifics don't matter much, but the physics do.

The hole saw I was using was larger than I usually use, in that this one was 4 inches in diameter.  The teeth of the 4 inch hole saw are similar to the teeth of a 6 TPI bandsaw blade. I was using a corded drill motor (3/8 inch DeWalt).

I wanted an angled hole (another important point).

ALWAYS:  when using a hole saw make sure the pilot bit remains in the wood.  The importance increases with the diameter of the hole saw. 

•      It is easier to have the contrary happen when trying to drill an angled hole.

•      It is easier to have the contrary happen when drilling a larger hole.

ALWAYS: When advancing a hole saw in an existing hole, always start the drill rotating slightly disengaged from the wood and slowly introduce the bit to the wood.

•      If the bit starts already in contact with the wood and the diameter is large, the chances are there will be more torque than your grip can manage.

•      Just like on your lathe, rotational inertia is greater with larger diameter item, thus the larger diameter item is not likely to stop quickly once its rotating.

What DID happen:  From what I have said above you can quickly figure out that bad things happened quickly Shocked.  Upon re-starting to deeped an existing hole the drill motor and large bit were torn from my grip, but only after I managed to fully pull the trigger of the variable speed drill, and started only what I can describe as a chaotic dance across my workbench only to return to attack the hand that was using it.  The teeth of the saw took a liking to the thick fleshy part of my right palm  Embarrassed.  It proceeded up my palm to my wrist before I was able to back out of the “line of fire”.  The good news is this is an area of the hand has thick skin.  No muscle or nerves were involved.

I have included a photo, not for any added gore factor Shocked, but so that everyone reading this article will understand that even our small hand tools need to be respected and used with care.  The photo was taken two days after the event.  On the day following the event, I went to the range and sighted in a new handgun (I am right handed), and although this injury was on my right hand and less than 18 hours old, it was not bad enough to stop me from continuing my day-to-day plans ( I also mowed the lawn, but no one wants to show off photos of a lawn Grin).  I finished the jig later that evening and I will use it tonight.

Stay safe everyone!

Tom

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Safety.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Target.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print