Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie looking for tips using my dremel (Read 1,467 times)

Corey Graham

WR Rocks!

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
Canada

Master craft mini lathe
Newbie looking for tips using my dremel
May 12th, 2014 at 12:50pm

Hi everyone. New to using a dremel and would like some advice. Long story short I want to eventually use my dremel on detailing wood pieces after I've turned them on a wood lathe. So since I live in an apartment it's going to be a while til I have a garage again, so I got a dremel to practice and familiarize myself with it til that time comes.

So. I have a dremel 100 and some pieces of 1x1x2 inch pieces of wood and half a dozen tagua (I think that's the name) nuts to start. Why don't I have bigger pieces? Cause I'm money conscious and don't have anything to cut down bigger pieces. So what I'm wondering is does anyone have any tips for holding the blocks of wood? Cause my hand started to cramp and just wondering if it's something your hand gets adjusted to or not. I have to wait to buy clamps, and I'd rather try to get used to holding it.

Also any other tips for a newbie that could be thrown my way would be appreciated.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Re: Newbie looking for tips using my dremel
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2014 at 8:34am

Get a spring clamp or even a pair of Vise clamps. This will give you something larger to hang onto instead of your fingers trying to hold such a tiny piece.

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Walt Nollan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #2 - May 14th, 2014 at 8:48am

Your hand might be cramping due to the tight grip you have on the piece you're holding.  You can try to comfortably hold it instead of having a monster grip on the piece.  Carving is a long term project so I tend to take a break every 30-40 minutes to stretch, get a drink and get some blood flowing back where it needs to go.  Being comfortable is paramount but not to the point where you're going to fall a sleep.
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2014 at 8:51am by Walt Nollan »  

IP Logged

Corey Graham

WR Rocks!

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
Canada

Master craft mini lathe
Reply #3 - May 14th, 2014 at 1:11pm

Yeah I do plan on getting clamps when I get the chance. I think I may have jumped the gun a bit too. The first day I do agree I had a "monster grip" and the second day my hand didn't cramp at all and it was comfortable. Guess just the nervousness of using a new tool and all. If anyone's curious this is the progress so far from a 1x1x2 inch scrap I got super cheap;

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If you can't tell is supposed to be a rabbit. Unfortunately now they're doing work on my balcony so in delayed for a bit.

IP Logged

Charlie Draper
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2015 at 9:43pm

Hi Corey,
That rabbit is coming along just fine.
If you are holding the project in your hand, you should consider wearing a leather glove on your holding hand in case the cutter grabs the wood and runs across your hand. It can happen. Don't ask me how I know, I just know.   Embarrassed

Looking forward to seeing a progress pic.

Charlie

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2015 at 12:54pm

Corey, Dremmel was first power tool I owned. Use high speed, it catches less and allows you to use lighter pressure to make cuts. For finish cuts and fine detail look at carbide or diamond cutters. Be sure to use dust mask.
It's a good thing that this carving is to be a rabbit, cause that's what it looks like. Grin Grin Grin

Glenn J.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print