Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What finish do you use (Read 2,617 times)

gary r heltemes

WR Rocks!

williston, North Dakota, USA
williston
North Dakota
USA

What finish do you use
Feb 28th, 2015 at 9:01am

I've been turning for maybe 3 yrs., and started with a friction finish (1/3 blo-1/3dna-1/3shellac f/flakes). I tried making my own wop (50%poly-50%thinner). I have also tried a couple other purchased finishes, like rattle can lacquer and rattle can shellac, that I wasn't happy with. I am now giving Formby's tung oil a go.
I mainly turn bowls and hollow forms.
What do you use......I am curious.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Jet 1642EVS
Re: What finish do you use
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2015 at 10:23am

I've gotten to where I really like Danish oil for my bowls, especially those that are for use.  For display bowls (like natural edge with bark) I use a gloss wipe on poly.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2015 at 11:05am

Gary

Choice of finish is a very personal matter - not all that different from, say, boxers versus briefs. There are lots of options to choose from.

My suggestion is that a really good starting point for understanding the options is the late Russ Fairfield's "Finishing Secrets"  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.  This series of articles covers essentially all of the options, and is especially helpful in understanding the DIY options.

My favorite finish tends to change from one day to the next, and often depends on the wood that I am working with and the item that I am making.  The leading contenders today include:
-  lacquer-based friction polish (equal quantities of brushing lacquer, lacquer thinner, and pure tung oil).  This is easy to apply, very quick, and produces a tough finish with a soft gloss that shows off the wood.
-  tung-oil wiping varnish (equal quantities of alkyd spar varnish, turpentine and pure tung oil).  Water resistant high-gloss finish, but takes time to apply properly.
-  pure tung oil (Formby's is NOT pure tung oil - it's a wiping varnish).  Water resistant, leaves a very soft gloss finish.  Not as tough as the lacquer FP, but focuses attention to the wood, both visually and by touch.  Takes time to apply properly.

Louie

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2015 at 12:08pm

Louie Powell wrote on Feb 28th, 2015 at 11:05am:
Choice of finish is a very personal matter
My favorite finish tends to change from one day to the next, and often depends on the wood that I am working with and the item that I am making.

Well said Louie.

Adding to Louie's post.
IMO, There are many quality finishes to choose from, I usually start with the basics like,
What are you making
What wood are you using
How will the item be used
What look do you want for the item
Once these type of questions are addressed, it narrows down the choices and makes it much easier to select the appropriate finish for your project.

IP Logged

gary r heltemes

WR Rocks!

williston, North Dakota, USA
williston
North Dakota
USA

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2015 at 9:04am

With my limited experience, I have found that it does matter what you use on what wood. The final look can be so much different.
I am mainly just looking for/at what others use. I am on my 1st bottle of Formby's (as Louie says...not true tung oil) and not all that durable, or so I understand. Maybe there isn't a "one size fits all" finish. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2015 at 1:47pm

Gary, as Louie and I mentioned there are many things to consider when choosing a finish.
For instance, if I make a strictly artistic piece,something that's main function it to sit on a shelf (and collect dust) then it doesn't really matter from a protection point of view what I use, I'm only interested in it's appearance.
If I make a utility bowl, something that will be used often for multiple purposes, washed, dried, handled regularly, then I want a durable protective coating like a polyurethane.
This is why what seems like a simple question really isn't as simple as you might think.

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 10:07am

Gary, my go to finish is equal parts of BLO, danish oil & wipe on poly.  I dip my bowls and HF in it and then dry them.  After it drys I will usually Beall buff the turning.  For a real high gloss finish, I have used spray lacquer but have also used wipe on poly--multiple coats.  Then again use the Beall buff.  I find I like the WOP better for the gloss as I'm not very good at rattle can spraying. 

For pens and bottle stoppers I use only CA finish.  I know some turners (Alan Trout) have also used CA finish on some of their bowls and HF, but the nature of the CA makes it a difficult task.

HTH
Steve

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 10:11am

Steve Doerr wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 10:07am:
I dip my bowls and HF in it and then dry them.

Steve,  Do you just dip or do you soak?  Or does it make a difference?

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 10:18am

Len, I usually just dip.  Depending on how porous the wood, I may do it a couple of times.  On some of the pine that I have turned to help make it translucent, I have soaked it for a couple of days.  I have a little rack that I put it on when I pull them out that I put over the bucket that my solution is in and let it drip back into the bucket.  Once it has quit dripping I will use a soft paper towel to "dry" it. HTH

IP Logged

Tim Hyatt
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Charleston WV, West Virginia, USA
Charleston WV
West Virginia
USA

Reply #9 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 3:01pm

Danish oil can build up to really stunning effects, but requires a LOT of coats.....

IP Logged

Jennifer Hasan

WR Rocks!

Beacon, ny, New York, USA
Beacon, ny
New York
USA

Minwax Antique Oil Finish.
Reply #10 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 5:15pm

Can I tag on a question?

Someone recommended Minwax Antique Oil Finish. On the website, all I can find is that it is "an oil-based protective finish that gives wood a soft, hand-rubbed lustre."

Do you guys know what it is made of? And what are your thoughts?

Thanks a bunch,

Jenn

IP Logged

George Hurlburt
WR Champion

WR Rocks!

El Dorado, KS, Kansas, USA
El Dorado, KS
Kansas
USA

Robust, Vicmarc 175 and Nova DVR
Reply #11 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 5:30pm

I use Antique Minwax Antique oil finish and other tung oil. Many times will seal first with Deft clear wood finish. No poly and no linseed oil.

George Hurlburt  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #12 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 7:07pm

Jennifer,
The Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register that should tell you what it's made of is basically worthless. From my understanding, it's just Minwax's version of a Danish oil or wiping oil. Just about every manufacturer has one or two of these type of products. Typically they use linseed oil as the main oil in the recipe but it is usually a blend that vary s from one company to another.
Even some products that say "tung oil finish" or "teak oil finish" may not contain anything other than linseed oil and some sort of proprietary blend.
Hope that clears things up a bit, ...clear as mud
If it has the "look" you're after, it's a fine product to use. again it's mainly personal preference.

IP Logged

Jennifer Hasan

WR Rocks!

Beacon, ny, New York, USA
Beacon, ny
New York
USA

Reply #13 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 7:35pm

This is what the MSDS listed for Antique Minwax Antique Oil finish

Ingredients

Aliphatic Hydrocarbon Solvent (Turpentine) with a light dash of Cobalt 2-Ethylhexanoate (Mineral Spirits)! D'oh!

Oh Good Lord.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #14 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 8:53pm

Originally all commercial oil finishes contained either tung oil or boiled linseed oil (BLO). The more oil to solvent in the can the better the product. Slowly the manufacturers shifted towards BLO because it was less expensive.

Within the last 5-8 years or so the manufacturers shifted away from BLO and started using soy bean oil  (think cheap cooking oil). Since soy bean oil doesn't dry they added cobalt to aid in drying.

So if you see cobalt on the MSDS sheet you know they are using soy bean oil.

The commercial Danish Oil (DO) of 12 years ago was so much better than the DO of today. Truth is I stopped using commercial DO about 8 years ago because how crappy it became.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print