Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Blue Silica Gel (Read 728 times)

Richard Beecher

WR Rocks!

Blue Silica Gel
Dec 25th, 2017 at 9:53am

Has anyone tried drying green/wet blanks using blue silica gel vs. drying in a small shop built heated kiln? If so, are there is there any downside?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: Blue Silica Gel
Reply #1 - Dec 25th, 2017 at 10:38am

On a more general level, are you trying to dry rough-turned blanks of twice turned bowls, or finish-turned once turned bowls?  Or are you trying to dry bowl blanks prior to any turning?

What method(s) have you tried, and what shortcomings/frustrations are you hoping to reduce?

Sometimes background to a question can be essential to getting the desired information.

IP Logged

Richard Beecher

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - Dec 25th, 2017 at 12:55pm

I basically only turn pepper mills. With the common American woods i'll usually get kiln dried so I can turn them right away. Most of the exotics I end up with are usually wax covered and green to some degree and I'll rough turn them to round and put them on a shelf to dry weighing them periodically until the weight stabilizes.

I realize it can be a long process and I'm in the process of building a small shop kiln to help the drying along but I was just wondering if there is a quicker process.

Now that I have retail space in a high end gift shop to sell my mills and cutting boards I was caught with my shorts down, so to speak, and didn't anticipate the sales I would have during the holiday shopping season. I couldn't keep up with the demand. I ended up using all of my dried blanks and still couldn't keep pace and now only have green blanks left. I'll get more KD blanks but still have a ton of wet ones.

IP Logged

Paul Gilbert

Turned by Paul

Allen, TX, Texas, USA
Allen, TX
Texas
USA

PM3520B
Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 12:20pm

It would take a lot of desiccant to dry a wood blank that started out with 20% moisture content.  Silica jell will hold up to 40% by weight of water.  But to be a really effective desiccant you would want to rate it at something well short of this.

Do the math.  Drying a 5# blank at 25% water down to 12%  requires the removal of 0.65# water.  This would require over 2# silica jell. 

The limiting parameter in the drying process is the temp. of the wood.  Water vaporizes in a kiln and then is removed by either venting or by absorption by a desiccant.  Commercial hardwood kilns resemble a large warehouse where the temp. is maintained in the 90's F.  The air in the warehouse passes through a dehumidifier (in this case a refrigeration unit) and then through a reheater.  I have seen some modern Pine Kilns use this process, but at higher temps.

IP Logged

Richard Beecher

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 5:25pm

I see your point. But as luck would have it I scored a inoperable 20 cu. ft. upright freezer just yesterday and will build a shop kiln. It's bigger than I had been looking for but you can't argue with FREE.

I ordered a wireless temp/humidity gauge and a small dehumidifier and picked up a small fan and some electrical parts to run a bulb. Surprisingly, home depot still carries 75 & 100 watt incandescent bulbs which I'll experiment with.

Based on your post I'll assume a temp around 90 degrees will be good to dry 3x3x12 blanks?

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Jet 1642EVS
Reply #5 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 12:00pm

I recently re-saw this (I had seen it before, but forgot about it until I saw it again), this might be an option for you until you get the big kiln set up.   

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

To help with the drying I'd rough turn the predrill (with a little smaller holes) the blanks.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print