Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
advice on new srill & impact driver to get (Read 1,120 times)

Ronald Plumley

Apple Ridge Woodturners,
Etowah River Woodturners

Talking Rock, Georgia, USA
Talking Rock
Georgia
USA

PM3520b
Rockwell 46-111
Re: advice on new srill & impact driver to get
Reply #15 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 1:34pm

Not quite directly responsive to the question, but I have a number of the 18v Ryobi tools and the batteries have done quite well for us thus far. They have several levels of battery which easily interchange throughout the tool systems. The batteries, so far, have had a decent charge longevity and they're mostly lithium based (they do have a NiCd version if I recall correctly). The charge time is fairly quick.
I use the drill most and my wife uses her weed eater and leaf blower most, but the tool range is very wide.

IP Logged

Chris Brock

WR Rocks!

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Phoenix
Arizona
USA

NOVA DVR
Reply #16 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 7:36am

I use a Bosch drill-driver set (this one Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register). Even though they are only 12V, they are plenty powerful. Their size makes makes them more comfortable to use than my Ryobi 18V, they also fit into more tight spots (say, inside a cabinet carcase) than the Ryobi. I have also had a number of battery issues with the Ryobi due to my letting the charge get too low. You can resurrect these batteries but its a PITA. I don't do production runs of drilling hundreds of holes or driving dozens of screws normally, but the battery life is extraordinary for my use case. And the Bosch battery electronics seems to tolerate low voltage conditions better than the Ryobi (again, bad habits on my part, but the system works well for me).

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #17 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 8:43am

Chris Brock wrote on Mar 23rd, 2018 at 7:36am:
I use a Bosch drill-driver set (this one Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register). Even though they are only 12V, they are plenty powerful. Their size makes makes them more comfortable to use than my Ryobi 18V, they also fit into more tight spots (say, inside a cabinet carcase) than the Ryobi.

Thanks for the input Chris
I have a Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register which takes the same battery as the kit you linked to. Like you I got this tool for small spaces among other things. I've been thinking about the smaller kit for use in the shop only and "clean" work.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print