Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Shows (Read 1,392 times)

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Shows
Jun 26th, 2019 at 10:02pm

How many of you sell at art or craft shows? I can't get over the lack of talk about selling. After all how much can you make and keep before it's too much. I love making but can't keep it so that got me into selling. lol I go to shows and I'm the only turner there most of the time. Almost always.

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Richard Shelby

WR Rocks!

NOVA 1624
Re: Shows
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 5:12am

It's a LOT OF WORK. I sell at 3 or 4 craft shows per year.  Our product is heavy compared to jewelry, prints, etc. and I usually bring 30- 40 turnings to a show.  That means lugging tote bins and a big white tent, tables, etc. I've learned to pick shows carefully.  Nothing more than 100 miles from home, Nothing in the heat of summer or the cold of winter. Lately, I only show at JURIED art shows.  That puts you in front of a different clientelle. Also, don't forget consignment and online sales. You've got to get rid of thie stuff somehow.    

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Jet 1642EVS
Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 1:29pm

Like Richard I do 3-4 shows a year and within 100 miles.  For no more shows than I do hotel rooms eat into the profits.  I do a couple in the Twin Cities and can stay at my daughter's house.  If the show isn't juried, I won't apply because you'll be competing with stuff that looks like it's from Hobby Lobby, fishing lures made from beer bottle caps, and grandma's handmade cabbage patch dolls.  Unless you price your items at near giveaway prices you won't sell anything.  DAMHIK

I have some bowls in a local gallery which sells 4-5 a year.  Don't make as much from the gallery, but you have to put your product in danger of being sold.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 9:06am

I did shows for some years. I did prefer the juried show since they tend to have better over all quality of vendors and customers. The best shows sales wise were the Christmas shows, and shows where people were on vacation. People spend as much or more money when on vacation as they do at Christmas time. I had one Mother's Day weekend show that was pretty good. I didn't like the festivals that were centered around food and alcohol. You get a crowd that comes for that and just browses the vendors. I didn't like the high end 'art' shows. Most of what I sold was daily use utilitarian wood bowls. You just never know. I am down to only one show per year now. It draws maybe 50,000 people, and has a work crew and vendor population of maybe 20,000 more people. They are all on vacation. Most fun, and most profitable. Almost no vendor turn over so very hard to get into. The Oregon Country Fair. You can look that one up.. Known locally as the Hippie Fair...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 12:11pm

Hippie or Hippy Fair? Cool

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:13am

I always spelled it Hippy, and spell check used to correct me. They don't any more. The more popular spelling is Hippie. Supposedly the term came from an old song from the 50's or maybe early 60's, some thing like 'South Street, that's where all the hippies (hipsters) meet'. Don't know for sure... Spell check doesn't like robo either, or kerf, or spalt....

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:58am

Eons ago, George Carlin did a skit called the Hippy Dippy Weatherman...so.. maybe THAT's where the spelling came from. Smiley Smiley

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 10:31am

And he always gave the Hippy Dippy Weather....Man.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 8:35pm

Guys, Thanks for the responses on shows. I too have limited myself to only three shows a year. These shows have to be two day shows. Yup, just too much work but I have to sell. If I were younger I would be able to do a lot more. I know a younger guy that does twelve shows a year and some out of state. My wife and I just can't do it. The trouble is I think many are in our position with our age.
  But, we keep on turning. lol Thumbs Up                                       

IP Logged

Dave Richards

WR Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 9:31pm

looks like I am about where everyone else is on the shows..3-4 a year. I do 2-3 one day shows and 1- 2 day show.

I only do shows where I continue to take in at least $1000/day. We have been very blessed to continue that requirement for the past 3 years.

We also sell items from our home and a few things on FB and have some pieces in 2 stores- 1 local and 1 out of state.

It does keep me turning, which I like, but I do make pieces much faster than they sell since I turn usually 4-5 days a week.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 9:05am

robo_hippy wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:13am:
Spell check doesn't like robo either, or kerf, or spalt....

Or any woods other than Pine, Oak or Maple  Undecided
Pretty much any term involved in woodworking.

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Robust AB
Grizzly 12x20 Midi Lathe
Delta 10x16 Mini Lathe
Reply #11 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 9:33pm

I sell at indoor craft shows in the fall and winter. I have done as many as 10 in a fall but the last couple years have really pulled back. This year I am currently booked only at one 2-day show (a quilt show) and 2 one-day shows.

I also sell a little bit on Etsy and have had a few sales on Facebook.

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #12 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 10:29pm

My wife and I have been doing shows since about 2013.  For the past three years we have been doing about 12 juried shows per year.  When we first started we were doing mostly craft shows, but found out that the customer base wanted to spend at the most about $25 on an item.

We do a lot of shows in the St. Louis area which is about a 4 1/2 hour drive from where we live.  Most of these are two and three day shows.  We are fortunate in the fact that we have family in the St. Louis area and so are able to stay with them.  Like Dave Richards we do shows that we have an average sales of at least $1,000 per day. 

Doing shows, especially outdoor shows, are not for the weary.  I'm 70, and not the oldest or youngest doing the shows. The nature of doing shows means you have to be outside for long hours in all sorts of weather--hot, humid, windy, rainy, etc.  So, you have to be in shape and in good health.  It is amazing at some of these shows, there are artists that are in their 80's and still going strong.

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #13 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 10:53am

Now what's wrong with the 80s ?? and i'm just starting to think about selling something instead of filling my wife's shelves.

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #14 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 2:01pm

George, nothing wrong with being in the 80's.  Just saying that it's a lot of hard work, long hours, and hot weather when you are that age.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print