Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WTB or Trade for Mini Mill (Read 219 times)

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

WTB or Trade for Mini Mill
Nov 28th, 2020 at 4:24am

I have always wanted a mini mill.I know this is a shot in the dark sort of but if you have one you want to sell or if you know where the best deal is let me know. Not a big industrial type but more like the Grizzly 8689

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Thanks in Advance!!
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2020 at 4:25am by Mike Turner »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Tony Gomez 2

WR Rocks!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
USA

Re: WTB or Trade for Mini Mill
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2020 at 8:03pm

Mike - I dont have a mill to offer you  , although in the last week or so I bought 25 lbs of end mills for 75.00 - the going rate for what is left of one of the last oil field services in Oklahoma - $3.00 a lb - (yes not each- but per pound of end mills)it literally filled the bottom third of a 5 gallon bucket. Anyways on to my question to you - is that are you looking for an end mill in making your flutes ? - let me guess the true sound hole? - I used a method that required a router rather than an end mill - in all phases of the manufacture of the flutes that I made -I use the 2 piece of wood -method cut into square rectangular material - square as in the material would be the same width, height , and length and sqare to each other - I used a power jointer to achieve this  - the concept being that a core box bit would be used to make 1/2 of the cylinder , and true sound chamber on the top half of the flute ,  as well as the bottom is mirrored - and then joined and glued together. the importance of the 2 halves of the flute blank being square to each other  important in the next step of manufacuture - I would route the TSH channel - using a straight bit the appropriate diameter - 50/1000 proud - btw all of these operations I would use a router table - having flattened square stock mean that the 50/1000 for the 1 inch to 1.5 inch would be very uniform and centered - a pair of calipers is very important  to measue the depth - again the last step was to use a corner round router bit to do the outside of the flute to round it over - if done right I can leave the area around the TSH flat -I use sandpaper on a piece of thick plate glass as a flat surface and flatten the TSH are until I achieve the correct height of the TSH channel - I have not made a flute for a few years so I am not totally up to speed to how people are making them today - but for that matter I met a guy in Taos , New Mexico that did all of the same operations with a gouge and a horseshoe and xxxx files - I hope my long winded answer helps
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2020 at 8:22pm by Tony Gomez 2 »  

IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Re: WTB or Trade for Mini Mill
Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2020 at 5:02am

Hi Anthony, I have just always wanted one.I use a router to rout the nest area and I actually bore my flutes with a gundrill.I  I also would use the mill for hole placement to accurately place the finger holes even though it really isnt necessary....I use an old drill press that isnt the best.So I need/wanted a good drill press so I thought Id step it up to a minimill...even though in reality I have used my regular hand drill a bunch....Probably wont get a mini mill. I
just cant justify the expense...Maybe just get a good tabletop drill.
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2020 at 5:03am by Mike Turner »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print