WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Depere, Wisconsin, USA
Depere
Wisconsin
USA

ca glue question
Mar 2nd, 2021 at 4:52pm

Just a quick question about ca glue. I never really had to use it but I did recently. I used the method of mixing sanding dust with it to fill a couple small holes. What a disaster. I had to sand forever trying to get the glue to not be noticed. Is this only used for small cracks? Thanks for any suggestions.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: ca glue question
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2021 at 5:16pm

I would say yes.
Others use it much more than I do but I try to keep it to small cracks and if I'm using saw dust, the finer the better.

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2021 at 3:10pm

First, Welcome
Second: What do you consider a small hole?
To fill voids with CA, recommend to seal wood around the void to prevent CA from staining the surrounding wood. Next fill void with a filler (wood dust, metal flake(fine) coffee grounds, ETC.) then add the CA.

Glenn J.

Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2021 at 7:15pm

I use a thin coat of 2# cut shellac around the area I am going to fill with CA and filler.

IP Logged

Nila Veylan
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Depere, Wisconsin, USA
Depere
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2021 at 7:13pm

It's been a minute since I've checked this. Thanks for the welcome Glen. I would say very fine cracks or small pieces of tear out is what I was trying to fill. So I'm not sure coating hairline cracks is an option. Maybe I just was using it wrong. I was using medium ca glue maybe the thickness is the issue? Thank you all for the replies

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2021 at 6:30pm

You might consider experimenting on one or two pieces of scrap wood, perhaps one light colored like maple or poplar and the other darker wood.

Make a teaspoon or more of fine sanding dust from each using 220 grit paper.

Simulate cracks with a utility knife and holes with perhaps 1/16" and 1/4" drill bits 3/16" deep. 

Make a short line of CA on the surface of each board to see if the wood is noticeably stained.  Fill the scratches and holes with sanding dust as already described, wet with CA, sand after the glue sets, and evaluate.

I only use CA on fine rim cracks that appear as I am (once) turning a bowl.  It is fast and convenient, but I don't like the appearance of the cured CA.  To fill worm holes and other defects I use 5 minute or "one hour" Devcon two part epoxy from a local hardware store tinted with dried pigments (fresco powders?), the most commonly used colors being raw and burnt umber I think.  It is a much slower process but I prefer the result.

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #6 - May 5th, 2021 at 10:27am

Nila Veylan wrote on May 3rd, 2021 at 7:13pm:
I would say very fine cracks or small pieces of tear out is what I was trying to fill.

Tear out should be sanded out not filled. Very fine cracks can be filled without a filler. If needing a filler, pack the crack with dust, add THIN CA, repeat as necessary. A good way to prevent the CA from staining the wood is to coat the piece with a finish(WOP) first.

Glenn J.

Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Mike Nathal

WR Rocks!

Strongsville, Ohio, USA
Strongsville
Ohio
USA

Reply #7 - May 7th, 2021 at 1:53pm

It is difficult if not impossible to make a crack invisible.  I find it more rewarding to go for increased contrast rather than try to hide the crack.   Dark walnut dust is good for this.  Coffee grounds too, but it is difficult to get the grounds fine enough.   I have also used a rotary tool to widen the cracks and then insert turquoise chips.  Another trick is to wet sand with CA glue.  The sand paper only lasts for a few seconds before it clogs up, but it works pretty well for fine cracks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print