Robert Fischer

Windham, Maine, USA
Windham
Maine
USA

Nova DVR XP
Harbor Freight Prices
Apr 20th, 2021 at 1:34pm

I don't get into Harbor Freight much any more, but when I do I notice their prices going way up.   I was there last week and noticed this digital angle gauge for $35.99.    Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I thought that was high, but I had really been shopping for one lately so I didn't know for sure until I got a Rockler email ad today.  Their Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register is on sale for $25.49 from the regular price of $29.99; and Rockler is not an inexpensive place to shop!

You really can't assume that Harbor Freight is the cheapest place to shop anymore.  Sad

I'm very fortunate, though, in that a Rockler, a Harbor Freight, and a Home Depot are literally around the corner from each other not far from where I live.   I can shop, compare prices, and not pay shipping.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Re: Harbor Freight Prices
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 3:40pm

Amazon has the Wixey Digital Angle Gauge Type 2 with Magnetic Base and Backlight for $26.99 and free Prime shipping.

Most times, I look for something and then drop it into the Amazon search and end up getting it thru them with free shipping.

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 6:06pm

Amazon doesn't play fair.  Sellers have to use Amazon order processing so Amazon knows name, address, email address of every buyer, what was purchased, and at what price.  A recent major media story said Amazon has  sometimes gone into competition with its sellers when it sees something selling well.

Of course Amazon can sell less expensively than retail stores.  No customer parking, no product knowledge training, no tech support, greatly reduced insurance because no customers in store, lower property taxes because warehouses don't have to be convenient to customers, . . .

Very surprising that someone who sells to the public, or appreciates retail stores, would support Amazon.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 8:57pm

Don Stephan wrote on Apr 20th, 2021 at 6:06pm:
Very surprising that someone who sells to the public, or appreciates retail stores, would support Amazon.

For some of us, Amazon is really the only sensible choice due to our location.
It simply doesn't make any financial sense to spend time away, burning $3.50 per gallon gas, going to retail stores that are miles away when the same product can be delivered.
I know this isn't the situation for everyone but it's a consideration for some of us.

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2021 at 6:31am

Robert Fischer wrote on Apr 20th, 2021 at 1:34pm:
You really can't assume that Harbor Freight is the cheapest place to shop anymore.  Sad

And have you noticed that HF appears to have shifted their advertising almost entirely to an internet e-mail campaign.  And I think its been at least a year since I last saw a 20% coupon.

And to Ed's point - for the past year, wife and I have used Amazon far more simply to avoid having to go out into crowded stores.  They offered me a free one-month trial Prime membership last summer during the peak of the pandemic, and while I appreciated it at the time, I couldn't justify paying to continue after the trial ended.  Instead, our normal practice is to create 'wish lists' of items that we need to buy, but to not push the button to enter an order until we get past the free shipping threshold.

« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2021 at 6:36am by Louie Powell »  

Louie

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2021 at 9:28am

Don Stephan wrote on Apr 20th, 2021 at 6:06pm:
Amazon doesn't play fair. 

I think many Americans have a love/hate relationship with Amazon.  Some see them as destroying traditional shopping malls/other retailers like Sears or JC Penny's.  But I'm also old enough to remember when the 'big box' store phenomenon destroyed the traditional small business owners, etc.  I think it's safe to say that while many will criticize Amazon at the same time some of those very same people hit that 'add to cart' button all the same.  I also wonder how many people say they dislike Amazon whereas they really want to point their anger/angst at Jeff Bezos?  Let's face it...many of us willingly made Bill Gates incredibly wealthy with little to no anger because he does come across as a genuinely likable person who does a lot of philanthropy whereas Bezos does come across as the ruthless business man.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2021 at 9:29am

I saw something a month or so ago about HF changing their business model.  They are no longer offering the 20% coupons. They are moving to the model similar to other stores where they just put things on sale.  Personally that's not a draw to me I'd rather have the big discount coupon since I don't shop there regularly -only when I have a specific need.   The last couple of tools I bought I was able to get the same or better item at a lower cost at my local Menards.

I live in a remote area and do purchase online, but I limit my Amazon purchases after a bad experience several years ago.  After a purchase we had the seller put other purchases (that we didn't make) on our card.  Had a heck of a time getting it resolved.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2021 at 9:59am

HF prices,
There has definitely been a change in how they promote/sell things. Some prices have gone up but that's to be expected. For many things I purchase, they still deserve a look. IMO

One of the best tools I ever bought is still a good deal at HF.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #8 - Apr 21st, 2021 at 10:44am

Ed Weber wrote on Apr 21st, 2021 at 9:59am:
One of the best tools I ever bought is still a good deal at HF.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

There's an irony of sorts...I would never have considered a HF bandsaw when I bought my Grizzly years ago, it just never would have hit my radar.  Now that I see it, however, the first thing I notice is it has the guides that I 'wish' my Grizzly had.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #9 - Apr 21st, 2021 at 4:21pm

I had a little 10" HF bandsaw for years. I think with my 20% coupon I paid $70~$75. I used to use it for model work, I fly RC planes and helis.

I ran out of room in the shop and gave the saw to a neighbor with the stipulation I could use it if I needed it. Saw is about 15 years old and still runs great.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - Apr 22nd, 2021 at 9:21am

John Grace wrote on Apr 21st, 2021 at 10:44am:
There's an irony of sorts...I would never have considered a HF bandsaw when I bought my Grizzly years ago, it just never would have hit my radar.  Now that I see it, however, the first thing I notice is it has the guides that I 'wish' my Grizzly had.

I found myself in that position once before when looking for a miter-saw.
I looked at what was available at the time, checking things like table size, extension wings, fence, etc.
I ended up with a Pro-Tech, which sounds like something HF would sell.
I would not have gone out looking for that brand or similar (sold at Sears, Menards, Hechingers, etc) but I'm pleased with what I ended up with. It's been working fine for about 20 years has more than paid for itself.

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #11 - Apr 23rd, 2021 at 6:49pm

And now that Amazon Fresh moved into our neighborhood, we can sign up over there and then just walk in and load up what we want in the cart and walk out, becaus the cart has the scanners built in and it all winds up on your bill at the end of the month Smiley As a guy with grandkids old enough to order and pay Amazon any time they want, thats all they do. I don't think they ever shop in a normal retail store. Probably don't know how. But i have found that its pretty nice sometimes to click on something i like and have it there in 2 days at a cheap price. I searched the stores for a pair of Lee jeans that iv'e always worn and they just are not carried. Everything is stretch denim now which is really bad. But on line thru Amazon, i got them in a week from unknown supplier. Life sure gets Tedious. Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Joe Penn

WR Rocks!

Canton, Georgia, USA
Canton
Georgia
USA

Jet 1642 EVS
Reply #12 - Apr 24th, 2021 at 8:41am

I needed a new cordless drill and stopped by a Harbor Freight I was close to and priced one. It was a la carte; the drill, battery and charger had to be purchased separately and when totaled I thought it was expensive.

Two days later I was at a Home Depot and priced a Ryobi drill, which came with everything for one price, which was considerably lower than Harbor Freight, and I could also use a Ryobi battery from another device, so needless to say I bought the Ryobi.

It was the first Harbor Freight I’d been to in years, and I was shocked by the high prices.

Neither famous, nor infamous.

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #13 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 9:22am

I have Amazon prime mainly to watch shows. The "free" shipping is a benefit.

HF as well as most other places have gone up on prices since CCP covid hit the shores.

Glenn J.

Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print