Kevin Gade

WR Rocks!

N.E. Iowa, Iowa, USA
N.E. Iowa
Iowa
USA

McNaughton Bowl Saver
Apr 22nd, 2021 at 9:35pm

Hey guys itís been along time since Iíve been here, but I have a question. Well 2 actually. I got the McNaughten second hand years back and mess with it time to time. With some frustration. Mainly the large set. Seems to me Iím missing one with more curve as when I do my final cut for the large bowl it doesnít turn the corner enough and gives me a big bowl with little meat at the bottom. Iíve looked around on line and just donít know as they donít give information on how much curve is in the tool. This picture shows the 2 I have but itís hard to tell what the curve is in the picture. Sorry about that.
2nd question is storing the tools, laying loose in a drawer doesnít help the tips from banging around. What kind of storage system do some of you use?
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2021 at 9:48pm by Kevin Gade »  

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: McNaughton Bowl Saver
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2021 at 9:22am

It definitely looks like you're missing the tightest curve knife.
I know Lee Valley tools sells the knives individually if you go that route.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2021 at 10:50am

You are missing the small curve blade. I use the medium curve blade 90% of the time. Not sure if Craft Supplies sells them individually or not. I do have a video up on You Tube, and here in the video section about how to use it. Every one who tries to use it swears at it. Those who figure it out swear by it...

Oh, they do have a straight blade as well, but I never use it.

robo hippy
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2021 at 10:51am by robo_hippy »  
IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2021 at 2:18pm

I find the large blades always want to track towards the headstock.  I found you have to start your cut a little shallower then you think you need to in order not to make a funnel.  I use the straight blade for parting thick bowl blanks in half.  Some times i get blanks that are 10 inches thick.  I round them down cut a recess or tenon in the tailstock end then part with the straight tool to about 2 or 3 inches.  Then finish the cut with a electric chainsaw with the lathe turned off and the spindle locked.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2021 at 10:33am

The blades always seem to track to the outside of the bowl, rather than in towards the center. If you look at them, or place them on one of the clear circle template things, you will notice that the tips tend to go straight rather than follow the perfect arc of the circle. This is why you have to open up the kerf, more so on deeper cores than on smaller/more shallow cores. I guess it is pretty much the same thing I do, I have to take a bit more off the top part of the cut on the outside, and a bit off of the center on the inside of the cut to get all the way to the bottom. If I don't then the blade binds in the kerf.

I did use the straight blade to part off some platter blanks, but gave that up. Having a 16 inch bandsaw it is faster and smoother to cut the blanks that way. If I was doing it with a chainsaw, maybe with my Chainsaw Chopsaw, I would still go that way rather than the straight parting tool.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print