Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Last Lathe?
Apr 26th, 2021 at 11:06am

I been seeing some rumblings of a new Vicmarc Lathe.
I don't think it's been officially released yet, as it's not on their website. I've seen some photos of it (it looks real) and I think it's what some might drool over.
Here is one place I saw it, I know there are a few photos on facebook as well (not a member)
Vicmarc Lathe VL600
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Re: Last Lathe?
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 12:13pm

Can't wait to get really good look at it...I've seen the VL300 up close and it's a beautiful machine.  In the end, however, it's going to be close call for whatever becomes my forever machine.  Once the 600 reaches their web site, it will be fascinating how the price and features compare to the Robust AB.  Time will tell...

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Daniel Hayes

WR Rocks!

Spring, Texas, USA
Spring
Texas
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 12:39pm

Are those threads from 2010?

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 2:02pm

Daniel Hayes wrote on Apr 26th, 2021 at 12:39pm:
Are those threads from 2010?

Very good, someone is paying attention.

I really would like to know why it isn't available.
What happened back then that put the brakes on what appeared to be the last lathe you'd ever need.
It was, from what I've read a real physical machine, prototype I suppose, what went wrong.

I thought this thread would go on longer before anyone noticed.

IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 6:31pm

Have no clue about the Vicmark. Never paid much attention to the brand with its limited market share in the States.

While you are waiting for the Vicmark vapor lathe check out this Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

On "paper" it looks like a nice machine for about $4100.00 delivered at the current sale price. One thing puzzles me. They say the belt can be changed without removing the spindle. How? I guess I can download the owners manual and find out.  Smiley

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 8:30pm

Robert Hayward wrote on Apr 26th, 2021 at 6:31pm:
Have no clue about the Vicmark. Never paid much attention to the brand with its limited market share in the States.

While you are waiting for the Vicmark vapor lathe check out this Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

On "paper" it looks like a nice machine for about $4100.00 delivered at the current sale price. One thing puzzles me. They say the belt can be changed without removing the spindle. How? I guess I can download the owners manual and find out.  Smiley

The belt on my grizzly g0766 can be changed without removing the spindle.  There is an access plate around the opening for the hand wheel.  Take out 4 screws and the plate moves out of the way to uncover a large opening the slip the old belt out and the new belt in.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 10:46am

I do remember a few years back that there was talk about a Vic with a 5 or 6 hp motor. That would probably be suicidal for a recreational turner, but great for a pro. This could be that lathe. I know they had made some, but don't know if it is on the market. I have the Vic 240, and it is my favorite bowl lathe.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 11:35am

robo_hippy wrote on Apr 27th, 2021 at 10:46am:
there was talk about a Vic with a 5 or 6 hp motor. That would probably be suicidal for a recreational turner, but great for a pro.

For a human operator, 3hp is enough for most. You can still stall a 3hp machine but that's actually a good thing. It let's you know you're overworking the lathe
Reed's quote is along the same lines as how I feel about some of the electronic motor features on some of the newer lathes.
Take the Harvey linked to,
1 microsecond torque response, please. No human operator can sense or detect that, (or lack of it). Some features simply aren't practical. There is no need for those features other than in a factory setting.
JMHO

IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #8 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 1:11pm

Ed Weber wrote on Apr 27th, 2021 at 11:35am:
1 microsecond torque response, please. No human operator can sense or detect that, (or lack of it).

I thought the purpose of a machine having abilities better than a human is so the human is the weak link. If the machine can out perform me then I do not have to be concerned with the machine holding me back- if I was skilled enough to worry about that.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #9 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 1:30pm

Robert Hayward wrote on Apr 27th, 2021 at 1:11pm:
I thought the purpose of a machine having abilities better than a human is so the human is the weak link.

True but with caution.  We frequently talk in terms of stalling a motor.  Humans are almost always the weak link...imagine a 5 or 7HP motor and a catch.  I suspect the should will end up being the true weak link.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print