Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 28
Send Topic Print
Welcome (Read 73,100 times)

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Re: Welcome
Reply #120 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 6:15pm

Hello Andy, welcome to WR. Nice folks inhabit this little corner of the virtual world, smart ones too.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #121 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 10:37pm

Welcome to this corner of the addiction.  We don't take ourselves too seriously here, we have a lot of fun.  We also don't take our typing very seriously. Grin  But you won't find a better bunch of addicts anywhere. Roll Eyes

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #122 - Jan 24th, 2006 at 6:28am

Andy, welcome to WR.  Hope you enjoy yourself here, it's a lot of fun.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

TomNeb

Post hoc, ergo propter
hoc....beware!

Reply #123 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 11:03am

Smiley

Hi. Folks, new member here. A bit about me and my minimal skills.

I live in Lincoln, NE and work out of my home as a Product Marketing Manager for Bosch Security Systems (a division of Robert Bosch Gmbh)

Started woodworking some time ago making small projects, childerns toys and furniture, etc.  I had only turned pens and not much else.

After back surgery in late 2004, I found I couldn't lift, twist, etc. so I sat down and started to learn how to turn.  How?  By simply chucking up some wood and shoving a chisel into it and seeing if I could make things that looked like the picture in the book.  So for the last year, I've been butchering wood on the lathe and really having a good time.  This is the most relaxing, expensive hobby ever!

Having tons of fun, have mutant bowls and stuff all over the house and already jonesing for a new lathe.  Wink

My current lathe is my trusty Shopsmith and a Oneway chuck.  Assorted chisels and other bits.

So learning a ton from this site and from the turning club here in Lincoln (hi, rick!)

Thanks for the great board!

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #124 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 11:30am

Tom, glad you joined.  You'll find the guys/gals here pretty laid back and friendly, always glad to try and answer any questions you might have.  And thanks for the lead on a web host (other thread).
Don't forget to checkout all the features of WR (see the links at the top of the page), and the photo-sharing side of WR.  You'll have to register again (different software) to post on the photo side, but there's some really nice stuff over there.
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2006 at 11:34am by Rick in Lincoln »  

IP Logged

TomNeb

Post hoc, ergo propter
hoc....beware!

Reply #125 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 11:33am

Rick: we can chat webhosts on Saturday. Fatcow is fantastic (so far)

Shouldn't we both be working now?  (I find doing this makes conference calls go much better!)

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #126 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 11:34am

Just about to get back to it  Tongue

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #127 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 12:12pm

Welcome to WR, Tom, and thanks for the web hosting heads up.

IP Logged

TomNeb

Post hoc, ergo propter
hoc....beware!

Reply #128 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 12:43pm

No problem, if you have any other questions, send me a note

And thanks for the welcome!

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #129 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 2:28pm

Welcome Tom, glad to see the gang spreading the word about WR through the turning clubs (Thanks Rick...you get a gold star on your report card).  As Rick mentioned, don't forget to check out the projects and techniques areas, lots of tutorials and videos to learn from.  Enjoy!

Chris

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #130 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 9:31pm

I went to fatcow.com and looked at it I was wondering if someone could explain what the mean by 1 GB of disk space and 30GB of monthly data transfer?  How does that stack up against what the host for WR has of 10GB.  This gets all very confusing when they all don't seem to be talking the same lanuage.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

TomNeb

Post hoc, ergo propter
hoc....beware!

Reply #131 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 7:50am

PhilipE: Ok, strap on your propeller beanie, here comes some serious geek stuff.. Grin

There are two numbers associated with all hosting accounts.  How much storage space you get for your web pages, photos, etc. i.e. content and how much traffic your site is allowed before being charged extra.

In the example of the Fatcow folks, the 1 GB refers to the storage space you get to put all your stuff in such as your web pages, videos, photos, etc.  (Site features such as bulletin boards or other extras do not count against this limit).  So it's like the trunk of your car, it's where you put your stuff that makes up the web site.

The 30GB refers to how much traffic you are allowed each month.  Traffic (or bandwidth) is what happens when someone comes to your site.  When someone types in your site URL (e.g. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register) the machines at the other end called servers "serve" up the index or home page of your site.  That means they have to transmit data through the net into your computer.  That's traffic!  And if the "size" of your page is 100kb then that 100kb is subtracted from the 30GB of bandwidth or traffic you are allowed.   Every time someone goes to your site or a differnt page on your site, etc. i.e. every time the servers has to "serve" up a new page, that bandwidth is subtracted from the 30GB total allowed per month.  What happens if you use or have traffic in excess of 30GB?  They charge you extra.

Virtually all webhosting accounts work this way.  If you are going to run a larger commercial venture then you can and should use a different type of web host provider (think big bucks) but for those of us just doing personal sites or sites for organizations (like my nephews baseball team or the neighborhood association) then hosting like  Fatcow or GoDaddy (i.e. shared hosting) is just fine.

As for account sizes 1GB of storage is a lot and 30GB of bandwith is a lot!  My nephews baseball site has lots of graphics, pictures from practices, and some video and I've only used about 15MB so far.  As I add entire games of video, I might get close to filling it and using up the bandwidth but I doubt it will ever be a squeeze.

Hope that helped.  If not, let me know and I'll take another stab at it.  If you need more detailed help, send me PM and I'll see what I can do. (we are getting a bit off subject here. )

Cheers. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Wink

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #132 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 9:22am

Phil, to give you an idea of what space and bandwidth you'd need in comparison, WR currently uses 220 MB of space and averages about 12 GB of bandwidth each month.  A 1 GB website with 30-40 GB of bandwidth would last you a VERY long time.

By the way, another one to check is iPowerWeb.com I use them for my sites and WR, love them.  2 GB space and 40 GB of transfer is their newest offering.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #133 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 9:31am

It's all Geek to me, lads.  ???

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #134 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 2:07pm

Yep, ditto.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 28
Send Topic Print