Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New video: Off Center turning (Read 5,327 times)

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada, Ontario, Canada
Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

New video: Off Center turning
Dec 4th, 2009 at 10:33pm

Hi:
I have uploaded another video series to Youtube.  This one is just a small project turned off center.  The playlist is available at:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Take care
Bob

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Lark Leazar
WR Addict

Hook 'Em!

Conroe, Texas, USA
Conroe
Texas
USA

Re: New video: Off Center turning
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 7:45am

Nice videos, ingenious project.  You might want to consider putting a picture of the finished project in your post.  Might help people decide if they want to watch them Smiley.

Delta Midi 46-460

IP Logged

Frank Van Atta

Green Valley, AZ, Arizona, USA
Green Valley, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 9:57am

I tried watching the videos, but they are waaaaaaaay too slow.  I kept fast forwarding through them but even at that found very little information for the amount of time spent watching.   Example: In the first segment it takes more than 5 1/2 minutes just to bore a hole and mount the block on the chuck.

I think you need to plan these videos out more ahead of time and then edit them them afterwards.  For example, one segment should be more than enough for this entire video.

Just my 2˘ worth . . .

IP Logged

Bob Tate

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 10:30am

I have watched every video Mr Hamilton has posted. I really enjoyed the most recent one. He seems to do something I fail at sometimes. He thinks things through. I admire him for that. He gives me time to think about what he is doing too. I have learned a lot from that man. Some of us need the slower processes. If he keeps the pace he is at, I will be looking forward to seeing a LOT more.
Thank you Mr Hamilton

Bob

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 1:44pm

I really learn alot watching these videos.  and if to me, it seems a little long, i FF and continue watching.

Bob,
Don't change a thing.  just keep doing what you are doing.  they are perfect. smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 2:43pm

I would quite happily watch Bob do a one hour video on how to dunk a cookie in a mug of coffee because his relaxed, thorough style is always enjoyable and informative. 

There are a number of woodturners who give freely of their time and effort to help other turners and they should be commended for their selflessness and generosity.  Occasionally there may be a minor irritation in someone's video tutorial but I prefer to ignore it because I'm certainly not going to insult someone who is trying to help me.  They might just decide to make no more - my loss... and everyone elses' too.

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

jim jones

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 3:40pm

i have something to say. i have been on this site for about a month, and everytime i have a question, i have members answer my questions. and i have not been turning very long, and have watched every one of mr hamilton's video's. and i agree with bob, the guys like me that have alot to learn, love to watch his videos. and the way he makes his videos, makes me feel like i am standing in his shop, keep up the good work, jim

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #7 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 6:04pm

I have been turning for about 4.5 years, so I'm not a newby but I don't consider myself an expert.  I find that if a video is covering something I have experience with, I can step over parts, but I might miss a little tidbit that I hadn't picked up on from somewhere else.  I have picked up information from watching brand new turners because I noticed something they were doing wrong that I hadn't thought of before.  I will always enjoy watching experienced turners because just might be something I can use.

Bob,  Keep up the good work.  Most of us can use all the help we can get.

JimQuarles

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #8 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 7:01pm

Bob..... Keep doing what your doing, their great for us old folks as well as the young folks, best of all... their very educational for all of us and I really enjoy watching you work!!!

Wizzy

IP Logged

leo Makepeace
WR Addict

Lanzarote, Spain
Lanzarote
Spain

Reply #9 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 7:36pm

Bob's FREE TO WATCH videos are a god send to many new and accomplished turners alike. We can learn a lot from Bobs methodical approach, as too many of us rush into something ( myself included ) and end up making mistakes which in turn wastes time, therefore in the long run slower, it can also be a dangerous thing to rush too much.

If Bob was to decide to make no more FREE TO WATCH videos we would all lose out......Some of the more accomplished turners sell there videos, Bob does it for the love of turning and to help others......he has a lot of videos on u-tube that are available to all FREE of charge. Without people like Bob Hamilton, I would still be having accidents on a regular basis and not turning anything worth having.. Cry

THANK YOU BOB  smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

Just my 2 1/2 Dollars....... ( rant over, I love you all really )

was that too much ???????

Makin' shavins, but not much else. I can still count to ten, with my shoes on......woohoo
WWW leo Makepeace http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_10361251  
IP Logged

Steve Bistritz
WR Addict

Harrington Park, New Jersey, USA
Harrington Park
New Jersey
USA

Reply #10 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 9:33pm

I love all of your videos Bob, they give me the incentive to try things that I wouldn't have dared to without the info in your videos. Deeply appreciate the time you must put into these. I am sure its more time than most may realize... smiley=dankk2.gif smiley=dankk2.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2009 at 10:40am by Steve Bistritz »  

So many interests,so little time.........

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #11 - Dec 6th, 2009 at 7:10am

I also wouldn't change a thing Bob. Your relaxed easy manner & style of teaching is perfect just the way it is. smiley=beer.gif

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Jim Killen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

NYC, New York, USA
NYC
New York
USA

Reply #12 - Dec 6th, 2009 at 6:47pm

Not only do I watch them all end to end, but I've watched some several times. I always pick up a tip or two, and the professional quality amazes me.

Great job as usual Bob, keep 'em coming!

IP Logged

john Taylor
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #13 - Dec 6th, 2009 at 10:44pm

I think we have consensus.  Just keep it as is, Bob.

I've always been put off by the DIY shows that compress 12 hours worth of work into 30 minutes of "editing".  It does more to discourage beginners than encourage.  Bob's videos include all the thinking time, the jigs and fixtures planning, all of the things that have to happen to get to the end of a project.  Keep 'em coming...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print