Turn To Live. Live to
Turn

Maryland, Maryland, USA
Maryland
Maryland
USA

Bead Tools
Dec 26th, 2010 at 10:05am

Do the bead scrapers work well and is it worth investing in a set or just learn to do them by hand.  I want to do do a lot of them 10 beads on over 100 pieces and repeatability is key on this project.  These will be cut in teak for a historical ship restoration. I suggested taking the pieces to a cnc shop but the historical society wants them made closer to the way they were really made originally.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Re: Bead Tools
Reply #1 - Dec 26th, 2010 at 10:58am

My experience is -- depend on the density of the wood and the diamter of the outcome. 

Tight grain hard woods (boxwood, ebony, hard maple etc) that cut thread well will work super with a bead scraper.

Old, tight grain teak has a good chance.  Newer growth fast growing teak is more likely going to work more like wide ring pine -- lots of tear and splinters.

Skew or a fine tip gouge will make you good at beads, but will also handle chippy wood better.

I have been doing some beads with the EZ Tools detailer and touchup with the skew to round the edges.  It leave a flat bottom about 1/16+ which was the effect I was wanting. 

I was ocular estimating spacing -- good-nuf for my purpose (grip).
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2010 at 11:01am by Ken Vaughan »  

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #2 - Dec 26th, 2010 at 11:12am

I have an Ashley Isles beading tool, it works well, but I don't use it often. These come in 3mm and 6mm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

More often, when I when I need to make beads, I use thin parting tool to get my spacing then use a skew or a fluteless gouge. But then I never needed to make a 1000 beads.
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2010 at 9:37am by Ron Sardo »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ralph Lindberg

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Dec 26th, 2010 at 11:38am

Like Ron, I mostly use the fine beading tools only, at least for beads.

I often use the larger tools just to cut fine lines at regular intervals. Like cutting two lines 1/8 apart, then a third line a 1/4 above that, then another 3/8 above that and maybe a fifth a 1/2 above that. Then I use some wire to burn those lines.

I use D-Way's beading toolsMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, which has a 1/16 inch (2mm), the "finest" I am aware of (Dave also finishes, polishes and sharpens all his tools before shipping)

Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.

IP Logged

Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Reply #4 - Dec 26th, 2010 at 10:21pm

What size bead Harold?  If you are talking large beads like over 1/2" then by hand MAYBE the fastest.  If you are talking smaller beads and have an old gouge then you can grind the flute in a back angle and use the flute for your bead.  I bought a set of small gouges and never used them so I made beading tools out of them by grinding a angle from the top of the gouge wings to the back edge of the gouge (I guess they are about a 20 to 30 degree angle).  I have worn out some larger gouges and have reground them the same way.  Now have a set from about 3/32" through 3/8".  Spindle gouge will leave the bead without deep grooves between beads and bowl gouges will leave you a deeper groove between beads.  This is because the flute is making the bead and the spindle gouge does not have as deep a flute as a bowl gouge therfore the wings don't cut in as deep.  If you try this make sure you sharpen/thin the outside edge of the wings a bit so they don't burn in but cut in.  When cutting the bead this way bring the tool rest close but enough room to angle the tool down and run at a higher rpm (not dangerously fast) to get a nice clean cut on most all woods.  You need to cut slow on woods with pronounced early and late wood rings so the tool won't grab and tear the soft fibers.  Sorry for the long post and I hope it makes sense.

Dale

Dale

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #5 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 12:00am

Dale -- good idea for old short gouges or those not being used.  I think I understood the explanation, but a picture or sketch would make it for sure.

Thanks

IP Logged

Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Reply #6 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 8:35am

Ken,

I am in Breckenridge at our time share.  I will post a picture when I get back to town.

Dale

Dale

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #7 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 3:55pm

Dale,
How did you grind it not a regular 8" one?

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Reply #8 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 7:42pm

If I understand your question Chuck yes I used my eight inch grinder to grind the profile.  Simply set your wolverine flat plate to the angle you want.  Set the tool on the plate with the flute straight up.  Push the gouge straight into the grinding wheel.  Now sharpen the wings from the outer edge to thin them and sharpen them so they will cut.  As you use the tool it will be pointing down from the tool rest so the wings will be cutting into the piece first.  Keep cutting until you reach the bottom of the flute and you have a bead.  If you keep the bottom of the flute edge sharp you will have a perfect bead and smooth to boot.  I often don't even need to sand them (we all know how much of a bear it is to sand beads).  I hope that helps in visualizing it and how to form it.  When I get back into town I will post a picture of the bead gouge and how I use it.  I finished a locust bowl before christmas with three beads that are about 1/8" each and connected side by side.  I'll see if I have a good picture of it and post it as well.

Dale

Dale

Dale

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #9 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 8:27pm

thanks Dale --

A tool modification idea in this crowd is like throwing meat to sharks -- gets lots of action.

Sounds like great use for some of those "from a set" gouges.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #10 - Dec 28th, 2010 at 6:38pm

This is a great idea Dale.

Thanks

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #11 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 5:48pm

I got it Dale great idea. Also a pic would be nice.  smiley=beer.gif

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Reply #12 - Dec 30th, 2010 at 6:06pm

I got home a couple of hours ago so here are the pics I promised.  They are not very good but I think you will get the idea.

The first photo shows the three all with flute up and the second shows approximate angle used on the tool rest. The second also shows how to grind the front edge angle of the tool.  Note the rest is farther back than it would be to use the tool but I needed set it there to get a pic.  When you see the angle off the tool rest you can imagine why you need to sharpen the top of the flute wings so they cut and not burn there way in.

Dale

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 100_3539.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 100_3540.jpg (Attachment deleted)

Dale

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print